Welcome to PatsFans.com

Task force opposes routine mammograms for women age 40-49

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Nov 17, 2009.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Okay, Whats one of the first things that came to mind when you heard about this?............and keep it clean Realworld:p

(CNN) -- Women in their 40s should not get routine mammograms for early detection of breast cancer, according to updated guidelines set forth by the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force.

Before having a mammogram, women ages 40 to 49 should talk to their doctors about the risks and benefits of the test, and then decide if they want to be screened, according to the task force.

For women ages 50 to 74, it recommends routine mammography screenings every two years. Risks and benefits for women age 75 and above are unknown, it said.

The group's previous recommendation was for routine screenings every year or two for women age 40 and older.

The task force is composed of 16 health care experts, none of whom are oncologists. The group reviews medical data and bases recommendations on effectiveness and risks involved.

"All we are saying is, at age 40, a woman should make an appointment with her doctor and have a conversation about the benefits and harms of having a mammography now versus waiting to age 50," said Dr. Diana Petitti, vice chair of the task force.

--Dr. Diana Petitti
    While roughly 15 percent of women in their 40s detect breast cancer through mammography, many other women experience false positives, anxiety, and unnecessary biopsies as a result of the test, according to data.

But the updated guidelines don't come without controversy.

"With its new recommendations, the [task force] is essentially telling women that mammography at age 40 to 49 saves lives; just not enough of them," Dr. Otis Brawley, chief medical officer for the American Cancer Society.

The organization says it looked at virtually the same data as the task force but came to a different conclusion. "Breast cancer is a serious health problem facing adult women, and mammography is part of our solution beginning at age 40 for average-risk women," it says. It recommends annual exams beginning at that age.

More:
    Task force opposes routine mammograms for women age 40-49 - CNN.com
  2. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Shades of Obama socialized, government-run healthcare. A perfect example how the government plans to institute cost-cutting measures.

The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force should have waited until after the bill was passed, nevertheless they've shown their hand way too early.

My mother-in-law was diagnosed with breast cancer in her mid-forties. If she would have followed the government's advice, she'd be dead now.
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Doesn't appear to be an overtly political group, but evidenced-based treatment has been the general direction all medical and mental treatment has been going for some time. This means that recommendations are based on wherever the evidence takes them, even if the researchers themselves don't like the conclusions.

The director the agency was appointed in 2003 (Biography: Carolyn M. Clancy, M.D., Director, AHRQ), so if it's a political appointment, it would have come with Republican support.

That said, credit ljuneau for standing up for women's rights and acknowledging that the government saved his mother-in-law under its older guidelines.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  4. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I'm not ready to jump in with both feet with any conspiracies just yet but I have to admit it's a little suspicious with the timing of it. I think too many tests are ordered as a general rule and many get paid for that never took place. I'm just not sure mammograms for women over 40 is the place to cut corners.
  5. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

That's beautiful, if the findings are correct then it’s based on proper evidence but if they are political is the fault of Republicans. I guess you’ve got it all covered. LOL, are you even aware of the partisan spin machine you are driving?
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  6. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Actually, the credit goes to the original and current guidelines of the American Cancer Society, who is opposing the new government guidelines.

Dr. Cynara Commer, a professor of surgery at Mt. Sinai's Surgical Oncology Department in New York, stated:

7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

It's a complicated issue, and I have mixed feelings about it. Working in the mental health field, I have to fill out documents that explain the evidenced based treatment, which is often hard with illnesses like addiction. Often one's gut feeling is more accurate. But, if the evidence says otherwise, what are we to decide? Should we believe in the scientific method or not? A friend of mine just went to the emergency room because he had the flu and a neck ache. They did a catscan to make sure he did not have meningitis (he didn't). Surely that catscan was an expensive procedure, and the odds were that it was not necessary.

There has to be some practical view of when to provide medical procedures. I'm certainly not advocating the proposed change in recommendations because I don't know enough about the issue, but it is a complex issue that is made more complex by politicization. I'm all for making mammograms standard practice for 40 and above. I'm fine if that ends up boosting healthcare premiums. In fact, I read somewhere that several hundred men get breast cancer every year. Let's make mammograms necessary for men, too. Why not?

There are other diseases too out there. People go on the internet all the time and discover that an innocuous symptom may be something more serious. Let's make the insurance companies fund all the tests for all the possible illnesses.

As far as your other point, I'm merely pointing out that the particular agency does not appear to have a political axe to grind, which was in reference to ljuneau's comment, "Shades of Obama socialized, government-run healthcare." So, your partisan response was quite transparent and offered nothing of substance to the conversation. But, thanks for trying.
  8. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

My response was no less partisan IMO but please take it light heartedly. If I came across too harsh I'm sorry.
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +485 / 2 / -9

The first thing that comes to my mind is Communist Socialized God Damned Obama Health Care Sh!t.
  10. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +395 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I don't think that this is the doing of the obamans but you can bet your bottom dollar that this kind of thing will be used to legitimize rationing if/when the government is paying. Oh well, I get women over 40 are expendable, they're mostly past their child bearing years at that point. Mmmmm, Barack Hussein Obama, Mmmmm. Damn, this is change you can believe in.
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +370 / 4 / -2

I'd be happy to provide Realworldograms to any women who....nevermind. :D
  12. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Pretty much my take too, though I'd go so far as to call it a form of soft genocide given the stats on breast cancer plus throw in the push for Gardisil. The breast cancer stats have become absolutely astonishing yet at this time, when it's become almost rampant, testing and early detection are suddenly deemed as unnecessary and self-exam is now useless.

I'm female and say what you want but I find the rise in breast cancer and the randomness of it kind of unnerving. There are walk-a-thons, there are pink pins, sweet jezus the NFL even wore pink to commemorate Breats Cancer Awareness and now the government thinks it's going to tell us that there's no point checking for it until you're 50?? I think not. None of this makes any sense no matter how you cut it and yep, at the very least I take this as a sign of healthcare things to come.

This woman wrote a book about her own personal experience, she calls it "Bright-sided:How the Relentless Promotion of Positive Thinking has Undermined America". I hope any other women who might be reading this thread click this and read this interview. Fascinating, I never really gave it a thought but who are we to call her wrong, she lived it.

And they go on to interview her furthur, really interesting read.
  13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Obama health care plan:

[​IMG]
  14. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

There was a piece on the news last night, and there are arguments for and against on both side of this issue.. beyond my comprehension, but there were people from other cancer groups who felt that this was a good thing...
  15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +395 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

The arguments for it are weak - less worry over false positives, etc.

The bigger issue to me is this is an example of how easy it is to take something as well known as "get mamograms early and often to prevent the #1 cancer killer" and to make it so the government no longer has to pay for it once the government gets involved.

I had to start getting my colon checked early as I have a bad family history of colon cancer. My insurance paid without a question, I doubt the government would be so generous.
  16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

Whether they are weak or not weak, not all that knowledgeable about them.. my point is that there are some who agree with the decision, that is all...

Some of the medical tests that are prescribed generate quite a bit of income for the medical industrial complex... every time I go they want another test, I wonder if my medical needs would be as great if I did not have really good health insurance???
  17. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

How much of that is cya because of the fear of liability and med mal lawsuits. Hindsight is 20/20 and no health care provider (HCP) wants to be in the crosshairs.
    "Doctor why didn't you do this test? or do an MRI?" There is an expression in medicine, " when you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras" It means go with the most likely diagnosis. Unfortunately it si the zebras that get you in trouble so you test for that.
    Part of the problem with not recommending mammograms for women 40-49 is 'evidence based medicine' This uses fixed protocols and takes away discretion or gut instinct from practitioners. If a HCP with years of experiecne says, " I don't like the way this looks/feels but the book says you're not allowed the test, do they not do it , possibly to the detriment on the patient? Or do they rely on their experience and go ahead, possibly catching the cancer early enough to save the patient's life??
    This is not a left/right thing but rather a slap at fixed protocols without discretion. They shouldn't change the recommendations that have worked to save so many lives. Prevention is cheaper than tratment, evne in this case.
  18. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +395 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I didn't hear a single good medical opinion on starting mamograms later. Lots of talk about cost savings and less worry about false positives. None about helping slowdown the death rate from breast cancer.
  19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

If I can find the source will let you know.. but it was one of those quick arguments that I was 3/4 paying attention to...
  20. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

Not really, I have a partially torn achilles, had it forever.. one day went to the foot doctor and she noticed it was inflamed, within 1 hour I was in an MRI... the next day saw an orthopedic guy, who put me in a $900.00 boot and referred me to a foot guy.. when I explained I have had it forever, he recommended physical therapy... told him I have had it forever, said I could probably live with it.. I knew that. Probably cost 5K for something I already knew.

I could go on and on with anecdotal stories, that have to do more with my health insurance than my medical needs...