Welcome to PatsFans.com

Taser Loses 1st Product-Liability Suit; Jury Awards $6 Million

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, Jun 9, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

2. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So the jury handed out the punitive damages to Taser, but let the cops off the hook because the (the jury) think the cops weren't at fault because no one ever told the cops repeated multiple electric shocks could kill?

I don't know how old I was when I learned electricity was dangerous, but I'm betting I was a hell of a lot younger than those cops.

Not to mention that the perp was flying on meth at the time.

That's screwed up, Taswer will appeal and probably win.

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +829 / 27 / -33

Not sure how they arrived at this verdict, particularly in light of this:

This will be overturned, taser is a pretty good alternative to standard lethal force..

4. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Do you get scared when you agree with me, GJAJ?
    ;):D

5. FootballYouBet

FootballYouBet On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah I'm not sure why the jury didn't believe the Taser company lawyer either. I'm sure the company lawyer is just another impartial and honest truth seeker. Since the Taser company lawyer says that the Taser didn't cause the victims death, then it must be true. Damn the stupid jury for finding otherwise. The fact that the victim went into cardiak arrest after being tased 25 times is just one big coincedence. Since 1999 more than 300 people in the US have died after being tased, but I'm sure those deaths were coincedental as well.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  6. atomdomb

atomdomb Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

Don't Tase Me Bro!

7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +829 / 27 / -33

I guess you do not like tasers.. otoh how many times did this non lethal method avoid having to shoot a person behaving in a life threatening way.. it is what it is usually a non lethal way of avoiding guns.. also did the meth in his system have anything to do with it???

If you are going to put facts up like since 1999... nice to have a reliable source behind you.

8. FootballYouBet

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So does this mean you're still not sure why jury verdict came back the way it did, now that you realize that the person you quoted, that claimed that the taser had nothing to do with the victims death, was a representative of the Taser company? :p

I would've posted a link to my source but I cannot post links here yet as part of the forum rules. A simple google of "taser deaths since 1999" should provide you with the reliable sources. Btw, it has also been reported that in 80% of the cases where tasers were used, that the victims have been unarmed. Good thing that the cops had these tasers for those cases though, because otherwise they'd be forced to shoot all these unarmed people. ;)

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +916 / 7 / -3

Seems like a jury decision to award a large judgement to a civilian from a corporation. Obviously I wasn't at the trial, and don't know the particulars of the case though. It could be a just verdict for all I know. I guess Taser needs to put a warning label on its product, much like booze & tabaco do on theirs.

Warning: Excessive use of this product could cause bodily harm.

10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +829 / 27 / -33

Did google as you suggested and there are indeed some sites which suggest this, however it is a good alternative.. the same was said about Pepper Spray a generation ago.. the reality is that for an out of control person breaking the law and is difficult to restrain it is a good alternative.. there will be better in the future, but right now it does a pretty good job. Have you ever wrestled with an out of control person on Drugs or a Psychotic person.. it can be quite difficult often resulting in injury to the law enforcement person.. Taser avoids this.

11. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

GJ, do you have any personal experience with Tasers v. Pepper Spray v. just trying to rassle someone down? I know I've seen it mentioned you were/are a prison guard.

I know they've developed an accurate taser round contained in a shotgun shell, accurate to 75 yards or so, this gives "the good guys" an even better way to deal with hostile people, potentially with innocents in the way.

I'm not really sure why someone needs to be hit 25 times though. Seems like even high on meth your body would react to it. But what do I know?

12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +829 / 27 / -33

mistake cannot delete

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +829 / 27 / -33

Have been involved in Pepper Spray in close situations, never seen taser.. my reality has to do with out of control psychotic people who develop superhuman strength often resulting in staff injury.. there is nothing you can do to contain or stop them.. it comes to you vs. them.

The problem with Pepper Spray in close situations is the back spray on the staff involved and it does not work well in close situations..

As far as the 25 times, different people need different ways to stop them and sometimes people do not respond without extreme measures..

BTW I was a juvenile correctional administrator, I worked the line off and on, however spent most of my time managing, developing policy and training. But when serious stuff happens everyone is a line staff. Did some investigations of excessive force, and most time it was justified.. there were some unjustified situations, but for the most part correctional officers don't go out looking for a fight.

14. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

They can't. I imagine it's a little better with juveniles, but if you go into a prison with an attitude--there's only a few guards and a lot of inmates.

But regarding the spray: that's something I was wondering about, back spray/over spray. Plus having to be so close to the problem. Seems like Taser, for all it's rough edges is a much safer way to go.

15. FootballYouBet

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I haven't wrestled with an out of control person on drugs but I'm sure my father has. He's a 35 year veteran of the Chicago Police Dept who served in Vice, Gang Crimes, Narcotics, Homicide, and Special Operations. :p Not that this adds any more credibility to my argument, just pointing out that I'm not soft on crime. I am a strong supporter of LE. I just think that these tasers are being used way to liberally, and in situations that don't warrant it. I also seriously doubt that in this particular case this guy needed to be tased 25 times, and needed to be tased repeatedly with officers sitting on his back. That's just total *********.

16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +829 / 27 / -33

Well go talk to dad... hate to say it but do not underestimate the strength and power of a person who is on drugs or psychotic.. there is not a lot you can do, and the use of a taser is a pretty good alternative... rather than injuring 3 or 4 officers..