Welcome to PatsFans.com

Tarik Glenn retiring

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by Nordberg, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fair catch fryar

fair catch fryar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

Unfortunately, by the time we play them on week 10, the Colts will probably have this figured out by then.

2. workhorse

workhorse Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

The Colts typically draft in the late 20's and the pick that they got from the Niners was the 10th pick in the second round (about 10 or 12 picks later than where the Colts' 1st pick has been). So, it's not as if they likely traded a top 15 pick for late 2nd round pick. I'm not sure why you call this a need based pick, Glenn just recently let the Colts know that he wanted to retire. Ugoh is a typical Polian pick. Polian drafts one or two years ahead to replace free agents. Glenn has one year on his contract ans Ugoh was seen as his future replacement.

On a side note, I don't know why people have an issue with need based picks. Most picks are need based. There are the "all things being equal" picks, but there are more need based picks. Wasn't Meriweather a need based pick? The problem is when you reach based on need and pass on better players that can help fill other needs on your team.

3. patriot lifer

patriot lifer 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -1

#87 Jersey

The pick was fine. They could have waited a year but Polian picked someone he thinks is best for the team. It is what it is and shouldn't be read into anymore. They clearly thought that he was a good value for that late a pick and nabbed him. As for need-based picks, if they help the team more than the "best-value" player, then they will be taken.

Meriweather was sort of a need-based pick. They have five potential starters for the two starting safety positions. Inside Linebacker was the position in the most need (longterm).

4. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,725 / 9 / -2

#50 Jersey

I think you just answered your own question! :) A "need" doesn't have have to be for this year, as you clearly know since you call Meriweather a need pick below. The Pats had a solid safety lineup already with Harrison, Wilson, Sanders, Hawkins, Scott. It's an urgent need for 2008, just like LT for the Colts.

Again, we agree. Which is why my post specifically said need-based reach. And once again, it's not the concept that bothers me in this case, it's the particular player. If he does become a legitimate starting LT, it's worth it. I'd just be nervous counting on that.

5. workhorse

workhorse Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

The Colts' pick really wasn't a need based pick at the time. They were looking towards the future. It wasn't until Tarik said he wasn't coming back that it looked like a need pick.

The last part wasn't directed towards your comments, but more to the concept in general.

6. Peytonsbetter

Peytonsbetter On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

8. Bostonian1962

Bostonian1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +9 / 3 / -0

Several Colts co-workers here keep saying that. Love is blind.

9. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Are we allowed to get our hopes up high now? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.