PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tank Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkypete

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Seems Williams is a forgotten man on here. Last year he looked like a front runner for an ILB position before his injury. What does everyone expect of him this season?

He wasn't the "front runner" for the ILB position, but it seemed like he was going to have some role with the defense. Hopefully this guy can stay healthy so we can see what he can do. Although he isn't the greatest in coverage, he's another "in the box" type safety the Pats can use and has pretty good hitting ability.

I have no expectations, I'm waiting to see what he has in the "tank" after all the injuries.

i honestly expect the guy to get hurt either in tc or one of the preseason games like last year (i think it was either the first or second preseason game last year). If he makes it through the games unscathed, then I think they should cut him anyways because he is an injury waiting to happen. I'd rather take someone with a greater likelihood of staying healthy. One can argue Guyton has replaced him anyways.

I don't expect anything. I hope that he can contribute. He is a very solid player when he's on the field.

He's not hurt yet? That's a good sign.

As a capable ILB on obvious passing downs, I think Guyton's assumed a lot of the role that was originally intended for him. As far as being more of a safety hybrid, looks like we'll see soon. personally, though, I'd be surprised to see him make it out of the preseason healthy and on our roster.

I know it's way too early to say, but my guess is that the ILB positions will end up going to Mayo, Guyton, Bruschi and Lenon. That would leave Williams in a roster battle with McGowan as one of the safetys.

I know it's way too early to say, but my guess is that the ILB positions will end up going to Mayo, Guyton, Bruschi and Lenon. That would leave Williams in a roster battle with McGowan as one of the safetys.

I think Williams would be used in the strong safety role if fit, especially in options where you want to show or use blitz.

I think Williams would be used in the strong safety role if fit, especially in options where you want to show or use blitz.
As far as strong safety goes, Tank's fate may be more up to how quickly Patrick Chung catches on and gains Belichick's trust. I know BB prefers veterans but he does go with rookies (Mayo, Seymour) from day one once in a while.

Chung, Meriweather and Sanders are all locks at safety which leaves Tank, McGowan, Ray Ventrone and Antwain Spann on the bubble and battling for roster spots in training camp. Hopefully he comes through and is able to contribute; it would be a great story. Realistically I'd say his chances are about 50-50 or maybe a bit less right now though.

Chung, Meriweather and Sanders are all locks at safety which leaves Tank, McGowan, Ray Ventrone and Antwain Spann.

I'd take Tank, and Ventrone (versatile) and dump mcgowen, and spann.

Thought from the onset that Williams was an intriguing signing and may change the way our defense looks situationally, may still be true.. but his health is always an issue..

He is forgotten. Last year there was some buzz that evaporated when he was lost for the season so early.

Reiss has dealt with this issue and says Williams is one of the bubble players who probably will be cut.

It's obvious what the Patriots gameplan was: introduce some speed in the middle linebackers, esp. on obvious passing situations.

If I remember correctly, good hitter as a big 225-lb safety.

If I remember correctly, good hitter as a big 225-lb safety.

McGowan's younger and probably a better choice for the same role. And Patrick Chung is probably better still.

I wish I knew who McGowan is, but I definitely agree with Chung, a brilliant addition to the team.

you should expect zero out of williams.........even when healthy in 2007, he was pretty much a non-factor for the vikings.....he has not had a decent game since 2005

you should expect zero out of williams.........
Hmmm, I hadn't expected much out of him, but based on your prior analyses of other players, I guess we should now expect Williams to go to the Pro Bowl. Just saying....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back