Tank Williams: ready to roll

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Portions of two recent columns about Tank Williams:

Injury-riddled Tank Williams is ready to move forward - by NESN's Jeff Howe

“I just went up there and worked hard in the training room, worked hard in the weight room, working hard in the classroom now, and hopefully when it’s time to put the pads on and those things, I’ll be able to go out here and compete and execute like I did in previous years.”

Williams was having a strong camp last year for the Patriots, playing both his natural position at safety and also at middle linebacker. It looked like he was going to see some significant playing time at linebacker and saw a number of reps with the first-team defense before the injury.

He is ready to stay versatile again for head coach BillBelichick, who chose to re-sign Williams last March. Williams — whose real name is Clevan and lifelong nickname is a cruel form of irony — doesn’t care if he is playing deep in the zone, close to the line or just fills in off the bench. At this point, he is just happy to be upright with a new chance to contribute for a team with Super Bowl aspirations.

“I just try to know everything so that wherever they put me out there, I’m ready to execute and make plays,” Williams said. “As long as I’m able to do that and play it well, I think I’ll be all right.

“I’m definitely excited, looking forward to this year, getting out there, making some plays, staying healthy. I’m definitely feeling good.”

Tank Williams ready to roll: eager for a fresh start - by Boston Herald's Ron Borges

When the Pats signed Williams a year ago as a free agent after six years in the NFL and two years in rehab from previous knee injuries, it was postulated that he would be groomed to replace the aging and oft-injured Harrison.

Had things gone as planned, that process might have been accelerated, but Williams was lost for the year before Harrison himself went down last season. Whether Harrison returns is an open question he said he’ll answer no later than June 1, but Williams made clear yesterday his question has already been answered. He’ll be back on the football field this fall.

Williams insists he’s also ready to accept again the demands of playing both away from the line of scrimmage in the traditional safety’s role and close to it in what approximates an inside linebacker’s position. At 6-foot-2 and 223 pounds, Williams is bigger than Harrison and nearly as edgy when it comes to delivering a blow to running backs trying to penetrate the Patriots front line. Whether or not Harrison returns from his fourth straight injury marred season, Williams understands opportunity awaits him only if he can avoid what has become his own growing injury bug.

“If I’d been able to get out there and play my assignments, I felt I could have helped the team even if Rodney stayed healthy,” Williams said. “I’m a player known to be able to play back from the line of scrimmage or close to the line of scrimmage. I’ll play wherever they ask me. They want me at nose tackle taking on wham blocks like Vince Wilfork, I’m there.”

“You execute and make plays on the ball and you’ll have a position on the team,” Williams said. “A large part of it now for me is mental. You have to make sure you’re strong enough to be able to make all the cuts but you have to believe your knee will hold up when you do, too.”

Tank Williams insists he believes. Now all he needs is some cooperation from his legs to prove it.

I hate to be a buzz kill but I don't see this guy staying healthy. In fact, he has a terrible track record. If you guys think Maroney is bad, this guy is way worse.

I'm going to remain optimistic about Tank. He had some really productive years when he was healthy. If he can stay healthy (big IF), then I see him being a huge contributor on defense. He's intelligent and BB obviously thinks he's versatile enough to play inside linebacker along with his natural safety position. We'll see what happens.

I'm going to remain optimistic about Tank. He had some really productive years when he was healthy. If he can stay healthy (big IF), then I see him being a huge contributor on defense. He's intelligent and BB obviously thinks he's versatile enough to play inside linebacker along with his natural safety position. We'll see what happens.

I'm actually excited about this guy for the versatility he gives in our offense. This could make us aggressive at positions we were defensive before.

I wish people would realize that football is a short career and some of the best players lost significant parts of their career to injury. It's a brutal sport and unless you're actually a fortune teller, you don't know what's going to happen based on a couple years. Knees shoulders backs etc. take time to heal.

I'm glad all the calls for McGinest to retire in the 90's went unheeded and we got to see the most disruptive linebacker play since Tippet.

Injuries happen. It's a huge part of the game.

I wish people would realize that football is a short career and some of the best players lost significant parts of their career to injury. It's a brutal sport and unless you're actually a fortune teller, you don't know what's going to happen based on a couple years. Knees shoulders backs etc. take time to heal.

I'm glad all the calls for McGinest to retire in the 90's went unheeded and we got to see the most disruptive linebacker play since Tippet.

Injuries happen. It's a huge part of the game.
I'll be the first to admit that I was one of those with little faith in McGinest back in the day. Didn't call for him to retire, but I wasn't counting on him for much of any production back then. I'm now very happy to admit that I was way off base and very wrong in my opinions at that time.

It was interesting to discover that this latest knee injury was not to his same left knee. Repeated injury to the same knee would lead you to wonder if the knee could take any more trauma.

But since this latest right knee injury was different from the previous knee and kneecap injuries to his left knee and that those have had more than two years to recover is good news. This latest injury happened early last preseason, and he will have had a full year to do recover, Tank may be able to contribute to the Team. :D

Let us hope so.

Last edited:
Last season, Williams was the one player on defense that I was the most intrigued about seeing what he can add. I'm glad that he was resigned and hope that he's able to contribute and do a lot of the things that the coaching staff envisioned him doing before the injury.

Tank Williams is ready to roll... right to the IR!

Sorry guys, had to say it. :)

I hate to be a buzz kill but I don't see this guy staying healthy. In fact, he has a terrible track record. If you guys think Maroney is bad, this guy is way worse.

terrible track record? compared to who? Maroneys been injured more than tank. do you have a link to backup this claim that he's injury prone? He was ir'd in 06 with the vikings, and then last year with us. Two seperate knee injuries, neither of which were any worse than Bradys. Plenty of guys have been lost for 2 seasons in their career, so i think its a little early to be writing him off as injury prone. He's only 28. Remember, Rodney was labled as injury prone, and finished. Then BB called, and Rodney had a little bit of success :rolleyes:

This signing intrigued me last year, but now that BB has retooled his D even more.. how they will use him will be interesting.. particularly as he is so versatile.. hope he stays healthy.

I'll be the first to admit that I was one of those with little faith in McGinest back in the day. Didn't call for him to retire, but I wasn't counting on him for much of any production back then. I'm now very happy to admit that I was way off base and very wrong in my opinions at that time.

Join the club. Always liked him but I had given up in my asperations. Fortunately BB kept with him.

After letting my expectations on Tank (and others) grow sky-high last year and then dealing with the shocked disbelief when they evaporated in a second, I am proud, nay, humbled to say that I learnt not to read/react much into any of these news and instead wait for the season to start.

Hopefully we don't have any other player hit with any serious injury during training/pre-season/season.

GO PATS!

Even if we knew and could diagnose these injuries, we wouldn't know a chronic injury from bad luck. On this team? Let's face it, until we see a dangling limb we're not sure if there's even an injury. Some players are injured beyond recovery and washed up, but not twenty somethings, usually.

Just statistically, in a career that probably doesn't last more than 8 years for most, a two year period with significant injuries seems like a pattern, when most major injuries take 6 months to a year rehab and nagging ankle, groin etc. injuries are common.

In other words, lots of players have 2-3 year periods where they miss significant time, then go on to play almost every game, the rest of their careers. Fred Taylor is a case in point.

If it makes you happy to feel like you're predicting something, that's fine but it's really meaningless and based on nothing but your own imaginations. Even doctors can't predict when someone will get hit in the wrong place and get an injury, and that's how most of these injuries occur, simple massive force on a joint or bone, or stretching beyond limit of a muscle or tendon.

It was interesting to discover that this latest knee injury was not to his same left knee. Repeated injury to the same knee would lead you to wonder if the knee could take any more trauma.

But since this latest right knee injury was different from the previous knee and kneecap injuries to his left knee and that those have had more than two years to recover is good news. This latest injury happened early last preseason, and he will have had a full year to do recover, Tank may be able to contribute to the Team. :D

Let us hope so.

Obviously, multiple serious knee operations to the same knee do have an effect due to loss of cartilage (not playing doctor if I'm wrong correct me please).

I like Tank and was disappointed with his injury...saddened...really liked the idea of a safety playing ILB...really intriguing ..and HOPEFULLY part two this year...to see it in action..

Where does he fit? He's not going to start at safety, not with the draft pick of Chung and the re-signing of Sanders. He's not going to be terribly effective at anything more than a situational LB at 223.

That's his best shot, other than that I don't see what a lot of people are excited about.

Where does he fit? He's not going to start at safety, not with the draft pick of Chung and the re-signing of Sanders. He's not going to be terribly effective at anything more than a situational LB at 223.

That's his best shot, other than that I don't see what a lot of people are excited about.

Tank can't cover very well, so you may be right. This does give us another option up front, though. Third and long where teams run screens and draws is a situation he'll contribute. Also if teams are throwing underneath because they don't have a vertical threat, he can cover better than a traditional linebacker. The QB who is reading the defense and making audibles won't know his role from one play to the next and may make the wrong read or audible. Flexibility is key in a BB defense. He can be put in a position to throw the opposing offense off their game once or twice per game. Or, it could be Victor Green all over again and he is a healthy scratch on game day.

They're planning on using a scheme with the safety in the box, but also covering if necessary. Harrison did this and i think they planned on Lynch doing this had he stuck. If I'm wrong on particulars, let me know, I'm not an x,o guy.

They're trying to develop a way to stop the TE and intermediate game, while also having a guy who can support the run game. It's not secret that this team is very weak against the TE and intermediate routes. Having a guy who is 6'2 and fast/agile/physical enough to matchup with the TE is important in the league. It's also an answer to the college permutations that are beginning to get traction in the league. Spread formations and their plays have been getting more and more play in the NFL. Accordingly, the defenses need to adapt. There are certain sets, like the 33 stack and the 61 over, that have been effective against these offenses. These sets require safety/LB hybrids similar to Ernie Simms or Tony Parrish in his prime. The players aren't playing at safety depth, or three yards off the line like linebackers. They exist in the intermediate depth, and are assigned to the TE or pursuit. It's a situational thing for certain teams with certain players, but it will play an integral role for this team.

One of the things Rodney could do as well as anyone was chuck TEs at the line and cover RBs who are too elusive for most ILBs. Without Rodney, the Pats had a matchup problem, the same as other teams have against Faulk. Mayo is terrific with this kind of matchup. Tank is another tool in the toolbox.

You might think that's just situational, but it's a frequent enough situation that, according to reports I remember, Tank was on the practice field a lot with the first team. I'm remember being really excited about what he could bring.

When you add it up, there are a lot of starting-caliber defensive players coming back from injury: Thomas, Wheatley, Crable, Williams, Woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes