PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tampa Bay Bucs diagnosed with MRSA

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Per Alex Marvez, SiriusXM and Fox Sports.

Hopefully none of that nasty infection spread to any of the Patriots, after the Buccaneers just spent four days in Foxboro.

MRSA is a very serious thing, a highly contagious infection. The Cleveland Browns had a big problem with it a few years ago.

Marvez:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers dealing with MRSA outbreak. Given players special soap and sanitizied team HQ.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers management discovered MRSA issue last week while scrimmaging with New England. Informed players and coaches Monday in team meeting.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers sanitized facility last weekend and are doing the same this weekend while team is at Miami. Hope outbreak is contained before spreading.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers will have statement soon on this.

(In response to question on if the Patriots were exposed) - Unsure. Nicks and Tynes (infected players) didn't practice.

Last edited:
Yikes, that's scary business. Apparently the affected players are Carl Nicks and Lawrence Tynes, hope they're doing ok.

Here is some more on the situation, per Albert Breer:

Rumors were rampant the last couple days on potential staph infections with the Bucs.

More details on the MRSA/Bucs situation: Tynes and Nicks were diagnosed when the club was in New England. Facility santized over the weekend.

Bucs coach Greg Schiano told his players about the MRSA outbreak on Monday, after the facility was taken care of.

The Buccaneers situation was described to me as being "something like what Cleveland dealt with" a few years back.

Honestly MRSA is everywhere. It's in every hospital in America and you probably come in contact with it on a daily basis. If you don't have an open wound it shouldn't be a problem and it only takes a short course of IV antibiotics to clear it.

Here is Alex Marvez' column on this news; I haven't seen anything yet about it from the Patriots' perspective.

Sources say two Tampa Bay Buccaneers are currently being treated for MRSA, a serious staph infection - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

At least two Tampa Bay Buccaneers players are currently sidelined and being treated for MRSA, an often-painful and serious staph infection that can be resistant to antibiotics, sources have told FOX Sports.

It is unclear where the players contracted this, but multiple sources told FOX Sports the Buccaneers had their facility scrubbed last weekend and will do the same this weekend when the team travels for Saturday night’s road game against the Miami Dolphins. Players also were given a special soap to use.

The team has not confirmed the identity of the players dealing with the issue, although a source confirmed Pro Bowl guard Carl Nicks is one of them. Head coach Greg Schiano has stated publicly that Nicks is dealing with an infected blister on his toe. There is no known timetable for Nicks’ return.

Multiple media reports say kicker Lawrence Tynes also has MRSA. He hasn't kicked in a preseason game. The team has only said he has a toe injury.

The Buccaneers didn’t immediately respond to a FOX Sports request seeking comment.

A source said the Bucs discovered the MRSA outbreak while scrimmaging last week against New England. The Bucs, who were in New England, immediately ordered sanitization of team headquarters hoping to prevent more infection.

Bucs players and coaches were told about the MRSA outbreak by Schiano during a team meeting Monday, the source said. Bucs management also called the NFL to inform the league of the situation.

According to the Mayo Clinic’s web site, MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) infections are caused by a strain of staph bacteria that's become resistant to the antibiotics commonly used to treat ordinary staph infections. MRSA can affect multiple parts of the body, including the bloodstream, and severe causes can be fatal.

Here is some more on the situation, per Albert Breer:

Rumors were rampant the last couple days on potential staph infections with the Bucs.

More details on the MRSA/Bucs situation: Tynes and Nicks were diagnosed when the club was in New England. Facility santized over the weekend.

Bucs coach Greg Schiano told his players about the MRSA outbreak on Monday, after the facility was taken care of.

The Buccaneers situation was described to me as being "something like what Cleveland dealt with" a few years back.

Interesting. I wonder if Armond Armstead's ailment was related - didn't Mike Reiss write he thought he had a staph infection? I think that was in last week's chat recap...I'll have to go and look...

Scary stuff. A few years ago my husband almost died from a strep infection that went wild. We thought it was just the flu. He was in multiple organ failure in the ICU (with me standing there thinking I was in a nightmare and couldn't wake up) before they were able to arrest it. Glad they caught it and those affected are being treated; hopefully nobody else gets it.

Wouldn't this be a hipaa violation for letting this information out?

Scary stuff. A few years ago my husband almost died from a strep infection that went wild. We thought it was just the flu. He was in multiple organ failure in the ICU (with me standing there thinking I was in a nightmare and couldn't wake up) before they were able to arrest it. Glad they caught it and those affected are being treated; hopefully nobody else gets it.

Glad everything worked out for your husband. As long as these things are caught early they are very treatable. If not then sepsis can set in which is what happened to your husband. Any bacterial infection can do this.

Honestly MRSA is everywhere. It's in every hospital in America and you probably come in contact with it on a daily basis. If you don't have an open wound it shouldn't be a problem and it only takes a short course of IV antibiotics to clear it.

Yes, it is common. But it is killing people in hospitals, and wreaking havoc. It is NOT under control at all, and thinking about antibiotics as the solution is what got us into this mess.

This will be showing up more frequently in organized sports and should be taken seriously. I hope the Pats are having their facilities scrubbed. I hope high school and college teams aren't seeing this as a problem isolated to pro sports.

Environmental Health News: Archives

Wouldn't this be a hipaa violation for letting this information out?

Why would it be any different than any of our other injury status updates?

We've heard of plenty of other staph infection cases before.

One would think that the Pats organization will be addressing this potential head on, since they already are aware of it from the Tampa Bay players. Keeping the facility as germ free and clean as possible etc (not saying that they don't already likely do a great job, just that more precautions may be taken).

It would make sense that a lot of staph is spread without being aware of what they're dealing with, although I don't know the specifics of the CLE situation off hand aside from knowing there was an outbreak there.

Yes, it is common. But it is killing people in hospitals, and wreaking havoc. It is NOT under control at all, and thinking about antibiotics as the solution is what got us into this mess.

This will be showing up more frequently in organized sports and should be taken seriously. I hope the Pats are having their facilities scrubbed. I hope high school and college teams aren't seeing this as a problem isolated to pro sports.

Environmental Health News: Archives

It wreaks havoc on immunocompromised people (i.e. sick people in the hospital). I don't know what you consider "under control" but it is very treatable and no, antibiotics did not get us into this "mess", taking antibiotics improperly got us into this mess.

Hey, I was just thinking, maybe BB should argue that he doesn't have to provide injury updates any more because they are a HIPPA violation! What a great argument! The hospital's testing lab now won't even let me pay my husband's deductible under HIPPA (they call looking for him to pay the bill by credit card, but when I say I'll pay it [the next time he pays a household bill will be the first time since we were married 21 years ago], they say it's a HIPPA violation for them to discuss it with me. In the words of the inestimable Bugs Bunny, "what a bunch of maroons.") In any event, if they can't discuss one spouse's bill with the other, they surely cannot expect an unrelated third party coach to put medical info on his players out there. I wonder if we should alert Congress. Too bad Arlen Specter is gone...

I don't know everything about the law, but, I know people in the healthcare field that are not allowed to divulge information on patients.

Maybe that the NFL (all college and pro sports actually) is such a public media display...that is a loophole? I have no idea. :confused:

Hey, I was just thinking, maybe BB should argue that he doesn't have to provide injury updates any more because they are a HIPPA violation! What a great argument! The hospital's testing lab now won't even let me pay my husband's deductible under HIPPA (they call looking for him to pay the bill by credit card, but when I say I'll pay it [the next time he pays a household bill will be the first time since we were married 21 years ago], they say it's a HIPPA violation for them to discuss it with me. In the words of the inestimable Bugs Bunny, "what a bunch of maroons.") In any event, if they can't discuss one spouse's bill with the other, they surely cannot expect an unrelated third party coach to put medical info on his players out there. I wonder if we should alert Congress. Too bad Arlen Specter is gone...

Interesting...I bet BB already looked into it.

Wow this is scary I hope the Bucs can get this situation under control.

I am so glad your husband got through that and is doing OK! Good lord that is scary.

I am so glad your husband got through that and is doing OK! Good lord that is scary.

Amen - I agree with Bella*chick, I'm sure that must have been a horrible experience. Definitely glad it turned out OK.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back