PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Talking TEs - 2014 Draft

I don't know if it will be a full round different, but I do think that the price to move up will be a bit less than "book value". That's one of the reasons I think it may be possible to trade up for Aaron Donald, if the Pats are so inclined. Their moves to date on defense have been aggressive, and a disruptive interior penetrator combined with that secondary would be epic.

If Bill is all in on 4-3 under then perhaps he will if it's for less than a first and second. I just don't see his paying that price. If he still plans on using a mixture of 3-4 (and sub package variants) then less likely.

I personally don't think the difference between Ebron and ASJ is enough to warrant the trade up in that case.

:confused:

I'm fine slotting ASJ ahead of Amaro. But how does that translate into "it's 29 or bust for ASJ"?

I would NOT use #29 right now for ASJ. That could easily change between now and the draft, but for me there are too many questions to warrant that high a pick.

I'm not necessarily advocating taking him at 29; I'm just saying that I don't buy into the MANY mocks that have him conveniently hanging around later.

I'm not necessarily advocating taking him at 29; I'm just saying that I don't buy into the MANY mocks that have him conveniently hanging around later.

I don't think it's a major leap to assume ASJ may drop to around 40 or so. He couldn't work out at the Combine, and will reportedly miss his Pro Day. He also has some character questions which may be an issue for some teams. He wasn't a 1st round lock before, and he certainly isn't now.

I think the question is whether you pull the trigger on ASJ at 29. I don't, personally. If you lose out on him later, you lose out. I don't expect him to last to 62, but as of right now (again, subject to change in the next 7+ weeks), he doesn't warrant taking at 29. Again, JMHO.

I haven't been very active on the draft board this year so forgive me but, What is the board's thoughts on Coke Lyerla from the 5th round or later?

In my mind that's the territory in which you take guys like him right? Or is he completely off your board even with his talent.

I haven't been very active on the draft board this year so forgive me but, What is the board's thoughts on Coke Lyerla from the 5th round or later?

In my mind that's the territory in which you take guys like him right? Or is he completely off your board even with his talent.

There's a strong divide between those who think he will be completely off the Pats' board, and those who would take a moon shot at him. The talent is undeniable. So are the issues.

There's a strong divide between those who think he will be completely off the Pats' board, and those who would take a moon shot at him. The talent is undeniable. So are the issues.

Gotcha thanks Mayo.

If Colt Lyerla addressed his Sandy Hook comments, would you draft him?

I ask this question because I sometimes like to be a convenience store psychiatrist, and having read Lyerla’s background I think that it is possible that he uses conspiracy theories to pretend bad things did not happen. I do not think anyone would want to believe that 22 young children would be gunned down and if you make yourself believe that it was in fact a conspiracy you could pretend it was not real.

I won't post a clever picture, but I will answer yes to your question B6.

I'd draft him very late, but I'd draft him. The kid has some issues and has said and done some stupid things, but he is very very talented. He's the kind of shoot the moon talent that you go after in the 7th, especially in a draft this deep that will have a number of intriguing UDFA candidates. I know his comments irritate a lot of people, and rightfully so. But he's a young and immature kid who could do a lot of great things on the field in the right environment and with the right mindset.

It could be argued that because the draft is so deep you'd be better off signing him as a UDFA, but I'd take the shot in the 7th and see if you can get him to mature. His ability to run after the catch is rare at his size. If it turns out he's an irredeemable idiot, cut him.

With Lyerla, A.C. Leonard, and of course Hernandez, move TE has suddenly become the hot spot for trouble. Strange stuff.

With the Patriots, Giants and Jets involvement in Newtown there is ZERO chance Lyerla lands with any of those teams nor should he. I want nothing to do with him.

From Mike Reiss' chat today:

Pat (Revere)

Mike, any chance the Patriots take a flyer on Dustin Keller? If healthy, he could be a good complement to Gronk, and if not, he should come with a low or no-risk contract where you can let him go. I think he'd be good for competition at the position - how do you see it? Are there other low-cost options at tight end with more upside than Mulligan?

Mike (11:44 AM)

I like the thought, Pat, assuming he's take a split-level contract that protects the team in the event of injury. There is some background there with Brian Daboll having coached in New York with the Jets in 2008.

I had previously suggested Keller as a potential option; I had forgotten about the Brian Daboll connection.

With the recent move of Mulligan signing with Chicago it seems that we are going to draft at least one TE in fact. Despite the major need I expect anything from BB, so although it was not my wish, I could see him not drafting a TE, but now with -1 in the depth chart and all the free agents already signed, it's very very likely, almost a sure thing like last year with WR.

I think we could predict some scenarios:

1 TE in the top 3 and a late prospect (6th round).
1 TE between 3rd and 4th round and a UDFA.
Only one TE with our 1st or 2nd pick, one of the top guys.

Pretty sure they can get a blocking TE as UDFA...

And that would leave us in the same position as last year. The point of the draft is to get better. Namely by getting a blocking TE that can catch the ball too. We can get lots of things as a UDFA. Doesn't necessarily mean we should.

And that would leave us in the same position as last year. The point of the draft is to get better. Namely by getting a blocking TE that can catch the ball too. We can get lots of things as a UDFA. Doesn't necessarily mean we should.

Manx - This draft is supposed to be so deep that there will be players who don't get drafted who would normally go in the 3rd/4th round in other drafts. Don't know how true that is, but that says A LOT.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats sign a bunch of UDFAs for that reason.

Manx - This draft is supposed to be so deep that there will be players who don't get drafted who would normally go in the 3rd/4th round in other drafts. Don't know how true that is, but that says A LOT.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats sign a bunch of UDFAs for that reason.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration personally, certainly some usual later day three picks will fall into UDFA but that doesn't really change my point. Any TE we get is one I want falling between Gronk and Hooman on the roster. I don't want to risk that roster spot on a UDFA pick.

We could a player at any position in the UDFA market.

That doesn't mean that we should prefer to rely on this option to fill roster holes.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration personally, certainly some usual later day three picks will fall into UDFA but that doesn't really change my point. Any TE we get is one I want falling between Gronk and Hooman on the roster. I don't want to risk that roster spot on a UDFA pick.

I think you nailed it. For all the talk, I don't find this draft to be a marked improvement over others, top to bottom. Sure, there's some nice WRs and CBs, but TE is weak, LB is weak, RB is incredibly weak, QB nothing special...maybe there are three-to-five more blue chips in it, but I don't know if that qualifies as historically great. I suppose we'll find out in 3-5 years.

As far as tight end goes, I'm not seeing much in way of value until guys like Murphy and Rodgers late. Although depending on how the draft unfolds, Fedorowicz could make some sense.

I like some free agents better for the short term.

As far as tight end goes, I'm not seeing much in way of value until guys like Murphy and Rodgers late. Although depending on how the draft unfolds, Fedorowicz could make some sense.

I like some free agents better for the short term.

I really like the value of Richard Rodgers as a Patriots TE. He also dropped 30 pounds and played as a slot receiver for CAL. I could envision him making a big push for pass catching role we've been missing since AH decided to kill people.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back