PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Talking TEs - 2014 Draft

That Lyerla kid has started off with some decent results. I'm convinced he's going to be a middle round gem if you can reign in his off field issues.

I wouldn't take him, period. If he is a UDFA and wants to come into camp and somehow prove himself then so be it but he has trouble written all over him. Anyone who requires supervision doesn't belong on an NFL roster.

I am officially off Amaro. Judging by his relative lack of athleticism, it's pretty obvious he's yet another product of the system.

I am officially off Amaro. Judging by his relative lack of athleticism, it's pretty obvious he's yet another product of the system.

Same here. It wasn't the 40 that put me off it was how stiff he looked. he doesn't have the athletic ability to warrant a first round pick. I don't even know if i would use a 2nd on him at this point.

Same here. It wasn't the 40 that put me off it was how stiff he looked. he doesn't have the athletic ability to warrant a first round pick. I don't even know if i would use a 2nd on him at this point.

I never saw Amaro as a 1st round talent, but if anything, I'm more interested in him now. I'd consider him in the 2nd - it all depends on how strongly the flame burns in him. I don't think he's as good as he was hyped up to be, but he was extremely productive, and I wouldn't cross him off the list.

I never saw Amaro as a 1st round talent, but if anything, I'm more interested in him now.

I'd consider him in the 2nd - it all depends on how strongly the flame burns in him. I don't think he's as good as he was hyped up to be, but he was extremely productive, and I wouldn't cross him off the list.

That's how you do it, baby!! Work the Market!! :rocker:

What if he put up fantastic numbers in our system? He has shown he can be a focal point in a offense. Definitely think he can contribute. Great value at our 2nd round pick.

Iowa's TE CJ Fiedowowicz ran a 7.10 three-cone? He's so a Patriot. Trade down, take another mid level player, and take Fiedowowicz early in the second. Done.

Where's my bagel, Dunkin Donuts?

That's how you do it, baby!! Work the Market!! :rocker:

Yeah, it's all about value for me.

You put your board together and you assign value to players. Most of the value is based on film review, plus medical evaluations and interviews. Then you get ready to pounce depending on how the draft falls. If you have a 2nd round value on Amaro then he's a 2nd round value; you don't reach for him in the 1st, but you may pounce in the late 2nd or later, depending on who else is available.

I'm much more interested in the guys who "slip" at the Combine than in those who rise. They are the same players they were a week ago.

Iowa's TE CJ Fiedowowicz ran a 7.10 three-cone? He's so a Patriot. Trade down, take another mid level player, and take Fiedowowicz early in the second. Done.

Where's my bagel, Dunkin Donuts?

I like FiedoWOWicz. If we do draft him, that should be his nickname.

I never saw Amaro as a 1st round talent, but if anything, I'm more interested in him now. I'd consider him in the 2nd - it all depends on how strongly the flame burns in him. I don't think he's as good as he was hyped up to be, but he was extremely productive, and I wouldn't cross him off the list.

I agree on the productivity but as i said his lack of athleticism really concerns me.

Yeah, it's all about value for me.

You put your board together and you assign value to players. Most of the value is based on film review, plus medical evaluations and interviews. Then you get ready to pounce depending on how the draft falls. If you have a 2nd round value on Amaro then he's a 2nd round value; you don't reach for him in the 1st, but you may pounce in the late 2nd or later, depending on who else is available.

I'm much more interested in the guys who "slip" at the Combine than in those who rise. They are the same players they were a week ago.

I agree in principle but it really doesn't matter how good a deal you get if they aren't good enough to turn into really good player's.

I agree in principle but it really doesn't matter how good a deal you get if they aren't good enough to turn into really good player's.

But that's where your value assessment comes in. If they aren't valued highly enough for your team, it doesn't matter.

As I posted in another thread, Logan Thomas (who was recruited to Virginia Tech as a TE coming out of high school, and then converted to QB) measured in at 6'6" 248" and put up an official 4.60 40 with a 1.59 10 yard split, plus a 35.5" vertical and 9'10" broad jump.

Compare those numbers with Jimmy Graham in 2010: 6' 6 1/4" 260#, 4.53 40, 1.53 10 yard split, 38" vertical, 10' broad jump. Not far off. Graham also had a 6.90 3-cone - it will be interesting to see Thomas' number.

Graham went in the late 3rd (#95 overall) as a raw TE with athletic upside. Mayock predicted at the time that it would take 2-3 years before he would be ready to contribute - he was slightly off on that one. Late 3rd/early 4th for Thomas doesn't seem ridiculous as a TE conversion, based on pure athleticism.

Stumbled across some of ASJ's film while watching Bishop Sankey. Dude blocked pretty freaking well. I know he is not going to be able to work out as his pro day but I'm hoping Pats can get him in for a private workout and interview afterwards. I haven't been able to find anything to justify his lack of work ethic through the web. Just a bunch of hearsay so far.

Anyway, still think he is someone they should be looking at with 62.

Stumbled across some of ASJ's film while watching Bishop Sankey. Dude blocked pretty freaking well. I know he is not going to be able to work out as his pro day but I'm hoping Pats can get him in for a private workout and interview afterwards. I haven't been able to find anything to justify his lack of work ethic through the web. Just a bunch of hearsay so far.

Anyway, still think he is someone they should be looking at with 62.

If he's on the board at 62, I hope he gets very serious consideration.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back