PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Talking TEs - 2014 Draft

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
As we all know Gronkowski is an all-pro caliber tight end when HEALTHY. But that's the key caveat. Therefore I anticipate that the Pats will look to draft a backup plan.

We have plenty of mediocre TEs after Gronk but none that are a real pass catching threat. So I think if the Pats draft a TE they will go for more of a pass catcher in the mold of a Jimmy Graham, Tony Gonzalez, Julius Thomas, etc.

So let's use this thread to discuss TE prospects.

To start the discussion off, here's a profile of Texas Tech TE Amaro Jace:

2014 NFL Draft: Texas Tech TE Jace Amaro Scouting Report | Forged in Buffalo

My main concern from reading that article is his reported lack of toughness going over the middle. I'm not sure if that's a fit for us but he does have evident receiving skills and production with those 1,300 receiving yards. But will that hold up at the pro level?

I'm not a fan, at least not at the draft price that he will cost.

Ideally I'd like a blocking/receiving TE to back up Gronk and to run 2-TE sets, and more of a receiving TE. My preferences: Brandon Pettigrew (FA)/Troy Niklas (draft) for the first, and Richard Rodgers for the 2nd. Colt Lyerla would be ideal from the neck down, but he's a head case.

My favorite guy is ASJ. I think he's the best all around talent at TE in the draft. He blocks, catches, has a basketball background, and has star potential. My second favorite guy is Ebron. Vernon Davis like player, although not quite the blocker. Don't like Amaro too much. Played in a fluky offense and wasn't asked to do too much.

Dane Brugler on the top 4 TEs:

8. Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina (6-4, 245, Jr.): A wide receiver in a tight end's body, Ebron is a freakish athlete with the ability to make highlight-reel catches look easy. He is a work in progress as a blocker and will drop some easy ones, but his fluid athleticism and playmaking ability at the position are near elite.

19. Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech (6-5, 260, Jr.): Amaro played more of a slot receiver position in college and projects as a joker tight end at the next level. He has room to get stronger and mature both physically and emotionally, but his speed and toughness project well to the next level.

32. Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame (6-6, 270, Jr.): The best blocking tight end in this class, Niklas is a former defensive lineman who is still developing on offense. He is a long, lumbering athlete in the Kyle Rudolph mold, but still has room to develop as a receiver with his route running and ball skills.

49. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington (6-6, 276, Jr.): Seferian-Jenkins looks the part and has the athleticism and blocking ability to potentially be the top all-around tight end in this class. He showed minimal improvement over his college career and needs to add more glass to his diet and put in the work to reach his full potential.

2014 NFL Draft prospects: Top 50 Draft Board 1.0 - CBSSports.com

The rankings are his own.

I'd prefer the Pats to add Fiedorowicz, personally. I think the guy has what it takes to fit right in for the blocking and he can be in there for the passing game as well, though he's not nearly as adept at it as Gronk. But the two of them would cause some major mis-matches.

Someone to keep an eye on is what the Pats do with Mark Harrison. If he comes back fully healthy, he could be a viable option at the H-back position that Hernandez ran.

With the Pats cap situation, I think it's unlikely that they look at a free agent like Pettigrew, just from a cost stand-point.

I'd prefer the Pats to add Fiedorowicz, personally. I think the guy has what it takes to fit right in for the blocking and he can be in there for the passing game as well, though he's not nearly as adept at it as Gronk. But the two of them would cause some major mis-matches.

Someone to keep an eye on is what the Pats do with Mark Harrison. If he comes back fully healthy, he could be a viable option at the H-back position that Hernandez ran.

With the Pats cap situation, I think it's unlikely that they look at a free agent like Pettigrew, just from a cost stand-point.

I would agree with both your points generally but would add two caveats:

1. I'm on board with Fiedorowicz so long as the value is right. He isn't much of a passing threat because he lacks the explosion to get separation. Day 3 would be fine but I don't think he warrants a day 2 pick personally.

2. I think Harrison has to at least be able to offer some inline blocking ability to offer that dual purpose TE/WR threat. Otherwise he's just a big WR which is fine, but doesn't really replicate what Hernandez gave us.

I think they sign fa scott chandler. Can't gamble that s rookie can learn the play book in one year. Jace amaro is potentially a guy they draft if he's available first round. Ebron won't be and asj is a little sluggish.

Niklas is not fast has iffy hands and a concussion history. Great size though.

All aboard the Fiedorowicz train!

Him & Gronk on the field would be like having 7 OL for the run game and 2 HUGE targets in the red zone which would be obviously ideal.

I think they sign fa scott chandler. Can't gamble that s rookie can learn the play book in one year. Jace amaro is potentially a guy they draft if he's available first round. Ebron won't be and asj is a little sluggish.

Niklas is not fast has iffy hands and a concussion history. Great size though.

If we go FA I'd love Brandon Pettigrew. 6'5" 265# blocking beast. He has some drops, but makes a lot of catches and is a good red zone threat. Then pick up a "move TE" like Richard Rodgers day 3.

In general, I like the "sign FAs for offense and draft for defense" approach. We have a ton of youth on offense, and the system is complex. I'm not sure adding more rookies makes sense. I'd like to:

- Re-sign Edelman, or find a cheaper alternative (Riley Cooper, Jeremy Maclin)
- Re-sign Blount, or find a cheaper alternative (Toby Gerhart)
- Sign a quality UFA interior lineman, either a center (Alex Mack dream signing) or guard (Jon Asamoah, Rodger Saffold) who can step in right away and start
- Sign a quality depth TE who gives the ability to run 2 TE sets, be a red zone threat, and back up Gronk (Brandon Pettigrew, Scott Chandler)

Then I'd add a day 3 move TE and offensive lineman in the draft. Otherwise, I'd add more defensive talent through the draft at all 3 levels.

Although I like ASJ and Ebron etc quite a bit. I'd prefer to see the team not spend a first round pick on a tight end. There is plenty of value to go with one on day day 3.

I'm tired of this pathetic 3rd down defense. Yeah they got players coming back from injury and the team is definitely improving but they need another DT and DE/OLB who can collapse the pocket or rush from the edge. It's probably the most glaring need and will make this d elite once it's addressed properly.

With so much talent in the first and second I'd hope for Van Noy, Hageman,Murphy, Truitt, Donald, Ford or Jernigan before I'd take a Tight End.

Although I like ASJ and Ebron etc quite a bit. I'd prefer to see the team not spend a first round pick on a tight end. There is plenty of value to go with one on day day 3.

I'm tired of this pathetic 3rd down defense. Yeah they got players coming back from injury and the team is definitely improving but they need another DT and DE/OLB who can collapse the pocket or rush from the edge. It's probably the most glaring need and will make this d elite once it's addressed properly.

With so much talent in the first and second I'd hope for Van Noy, Hageman,Murphy, Truitt, Donald, Ford or Jernigan before I'd take a Tight End.

Hallelujah!

It's going to be interesting to see what these guys do for running the 40.. Most of them are predicted to run in the mid 4.7s to the mid 4.8s. And that is slower than guys like Hernandez and Graham.

Value is not simply in "how good" the player is. Value is in how much of a boost the player provides to the team relative to the size of his contract.

I can see an argument for either TE or front seven providing the biggest impact. Of course, the notion of "value" will change as FA proceeds.

In general, I like the "sign FAs for offense and draft for defense" approach. We have a ton of youth on offense, and the system is complex. I'm not sure adding more rookies makes sense.

I think you could make the same argument about the defense, too. Assuming the Pats draft 8 players, I'd like to see it split 2/2/2/2 on Offensive skill/OL/Front 7/Secondary.

Definitely. There are options at TE in rounds 2-4. Nicklas, Fiedorowicz, Crockett Gilmore, Arthur Lynch.
CSU Football at UNM: Crockett Gillmore's Play of the Game - YouTube

Arthur Lynch, TE, Georgia – Was the star of Thursday practice. Literally caught every ball, including two fully extended one handed ones. I was most impressed with how he set up LBs when running red zone and seam routes. Showed strength to fight off the defender and get position in red zone. Very good day today.

Wouldnt mind taking two of them.

I want more than a Blocking TE no to Nicklas!

I would you suggest you watch a little more f him then. I'm not as big a fan as Mayo of Niklas, but he's more than just a blocking TE. He's a less good Gronk.

Blocking has a ton to do with technique, assuming the attitude is there, the technique can be taught, it's not quite as easy to 'teach quick'. Fiedorowicz (I submit that he should simply be referred to as "The Fed" so we don't have to deal with that name) is a magnificent blocker, so much so that I'd like to have experiment with him at tackle if he'd be up for it, but he's not going to do much in the passing game.

The advantage goes to Niklas, but he'll also be taken much higher. If we could get Aaron Donald, Niklas, Weston Richburg and that white guy I'd be a pig in poop.

It's all about the cost.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back