PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Talk about a corrupt league/game

a crime ring in asia...jesus how big is this crime ring and how much $$ are they sitting on right now

Those Europeans love them some gambling, and mob bosses everywhere have their hands in that cookie jar.

There were games in the 2002 World Cup where there was no doubt it was rigged. One of the refs from the 2002 World Cup was actually arrested at JFK after they found 6 kilos of heroin on him. He was involved in one of those sketchy games from that year too.

When the replacement refs came in, their susceptibility to the wrong folks was a serious concern I had. The NFL was paying them with magic beans, and what is it to a guy who reffed in the LFL to pocket a few more bucks to let Cary Williams tackle Edelman downfield and then throw a flag on Edelman?:mad::D

The tendencies of our leagues to ignore skeletons (steroids, brain damage, etc.) would anyone really be surprised if it comes out that there is match fixing in the U.S.?

The tendencies of our leagues to ignore skeletons (steroids, brain damage, etc.) would anyone really be surprised if it comes out that there is match fixing in the U.S.?

I would not be shocked, but I would be slightly surprised mainly because at least the NFL and MLB pay their referees very, very, very well. There is a good bit of research that shows that when critical cogs in a system are poorly paid, these individuals are prone to bribery/graft/corruption, however paying the refs/public officials above market wages significantly reduces corruption because the cost of corruption (job and repuation loss) if discovered, has become so much higher.

Most top-level soccer refs can't make enough money refereeing for that to be their full time job while earning median society incomes. The game fees are too low. For instance, the center referees in the Scottish Premier League get roughly $1200 per game for roughly 20 to 25 assignments (max) per season. Yes, that ref is working other, lower level games, so if he has a full schedule and stays healthy and does not screw up any of his games, a guy in his late 30s/early 40s who has been reffing for 20+ years to get to the top of his profession might bring home $35,000 from refereeing if he is lucky in a society where that is a decent wage at best.

An NFL ref gets $10,000 per game for 16 assignments a year.

a crime ring in asia...jesus how big is this crime ring and how much $$ are they sitting on right now

The Asian Triads are worldwide and control trillions of dollars. The Mafia are just street corner punks compared to them.

As they say, money talks, and I'm sure that the NFL is no more immune to game fixing than any other sport.

the pace of the NFL game is beyond human capacity when it comes to referreeing.......

people can argue based on who the want to win, but realistically, there are so many plays where there can be a multitude of flags thrown or none at all and they're all right or they're all wrong....

the 4th down play with crabtree in the endzone had no right answer......except one which doesn't happen......you could argue for both offensive and defensive PI and play the down again, but the league will never do that.

unless the defender simply tackles the WR, they're never going to call PI on the defender as long as the WR is pushing off or otherwise using his hands. the contact was mutual, and just because there was more contact on the part of the defender doesn't change things......as long as the contact is mutual, they're going to let it go

This is only the tip of the Iceberg.

Its a bright summer day of 2021, Goodell is in an interview with Oprah

Roger Goodell : I have a confession, the NFL under my supervision was rigged. Especially the 2012 season when the Ravens won the SB :cool:
Oprah: Despite all this, how did the Patriots manage to win the next 3 super bowls?

In the NFL all it would take is someone who is trying to rig the game to approach a punt returner earning vet minimum or something like that and offer him say $20k to muff a couple of punts, that can easily turn the tide of a game.

It could also be done with a kicker, it's easy to "choke" a game winner.

In the NFL all it would take is someone who is trying to rig the game to approach a punt returner earning vet minimum or something like that and offer him say $20k to muff a couple of punts, that can easily turn the tide of a game.

Kyle Williams and Billy Cundiff say hello.

I saw the article this morning as well and felt it was long overdue.

Soccer's problems start at the top with a corrupt FIFA management. How else do you think Russia and Qatar (soccer in 97 fahrenheit weather anyone?) got the 2018 and 2022 games? Follow the money.

Even FIFA is considering redoing the votes as it realizes that kicking only two voters off the selection committee for taking bribes left a considerable cadre among the remaining 22 voters who had already lined their pockets with Russian and Gulf cash.

In my view, the officiating of the matches themselves is quite suspect with third world referees vulnerable to offers of a lifetime of earnings for one or two calls and with possibly honest but thoroughly biased European referees filling out the ranks. You don't need to be a homer member of "Sam's Army" to know that a handball should have been called on the already controversial Torsten Frings in the 2002 Quarterfinal...but the thought of a US team in the World Cup Semis was too much for the soccer gods and FIFA to accept.

the pace of the NFL game is beyond human capacity when it comes to referreeing.......

people can argue based on who the want to win, but realistically, there are so many plays where there can be a multitude of flags thrown or none at all and they're all right or they're all wrong....

the 4th down play with crabtree in the endzone had no right answer......except one which doesn't happen......you could argue for both offensive and defensive PI and play the down again, but the league will never do that.

unless the defender simply tackles the WR, they're never going to call PI on the defender as long as the WR is pushing off or otherwise using his hands. the contact was mutual, and just because there was more contact on the part of the defender doesn't change things......as long as the contact is mutual, they're going to let it go

Right. Just like the call AGAINST Edelman who was defending himself when mugged by Ravens CB.

Right, because $20K makes it totally worthwhile to risk your $800K/year job and jail.

This would be a very serious thing if it were happening in a man's sport. Fortunately, it's in soccer.

th

Good salaries are of course meaningful, but even the most well paid players, refs etc can easily end up with gambling debts. Once you enter that door you become very vulnerable to corruption... you feel you deserve to make up all your losses--now.

Alternatively, the player could try to play really well and cash in on a 1-3 mill dollar contract.

This mostly is in lower league and/or corrupt countries in eastern Europe, where it is easy to get into the system for betting syndicate in asia, alot of lower tennis matches on ATP Tour also are corrupt.

Top leagues you can also find fixed matches, but those mostly are fixed between owners/coaches/ in a quid pro quo manner..

This would be a very serious thing if it were happening in a man's sport. Fortunately, it's in soccer.

th

trust me i agree 100%...but it's the #1 sport in the world

Football "soccer" has been corrupt for years and always will be.

2006 Italian football scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The main problem is, unlike the NFL....there are much more games to bet on worldwide. The NFL has 16 games all live on tele in some form, all played in front of 40,000 people, will all be scrutinised by press, fans etc. Soccer has 4th division games played between normal working class people somewhere in Eastern Russia...and you can bet on it. It is so much easier to fix than pretty much any American sport.

Michel Platini (the head of UEFA/Goodell of European Soccer) said this about a Champions League game

"After being drawn against Celtic we can already consider Juve to be in the quarter-finals." and “They are strong enough to win the Italian championship but I’m not so sure about Europe yet. It’s a matter of mentality. But they will always be the team of my heart.”

That is EXTREMELY dodgy - especially if you watched the game and seen some decisions which were controversial and dodgy to say the least.

Imagine the uproar if Goodell came out and said "We can already consider the Ravens to be in the SUperbowl....they are the team of my heart"...

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back