Welcome to PatsFans.com

Taliban Leader Vows To Attack D.C. "Soon"

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

(CBS/AP) The top Taliban commander in Pakistan promised an assault on Washington "soon" - one he says will "amaze" the world.

"Soon we will launch an attack in Washington that will amaze everyone in the world," Baitullah Mehsud told The Associated Press by phone.

Mehsud also claimed responsibility for Monday's attack on a police academy outside the eastern Pakistani city of Lahore, saying it was in retaliation for U.S. missile strikes against militants along the Afghan border.

Taliban Leader Vows To Attack D.C. "Soon" - CBS News
  2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

If you were going to attack a specific place would you broadcast it? Besides your going to get the fruit bags going. ;)
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +255 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

There's a million (OK, a dozen or so) ways they could really f*ck us over if they plan it correctly. And they generally like to test a new President; although my gut feeling is they would be less public about it if it were actually going to happen.

And before Patters asks, by comparing an attack, if it happens, to 9/11, yes, this would be "Obama's" more than 9/11 was "Bush's" as we are more aware of the reality of terrorism over here now.
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

you're assuming some kind of 'sanity' in the mind of a terrorist...
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

I agree the first dude was asleep at the wheel, at this juncture we should be prepared for all contingencies.. there are no excuses
  6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +255 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

Not intending to turn this into a Bush thread but before 9/11, a major terrorist attack on our land wasn't taken seriously by anyone - Bush, Clinton, whoever.

It's different now.
  7. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

I mostly agree with this, though 9/11 was a product of U.S. foreign policy that has been fairly consistent throughout Democratic and Republican regimes. I strongly believe his policy towards Pakistan and Afghanistan are a mistake and will make the world every bit as dangerous as Bush's aggression has.
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +255 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

It's all or nothing over there IMO. We either eliminate the entire area (yes, the other "N" word) or leave completely and only attack them if they start something. It looks like Obama = Bush over there.
  9. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Well the latter option would create a world war, so I'm gonna say leaving is a vastly better option. Afghanistan is a scary, backwards place but changes in places like that can only come from within. Every time we've tried to change the internal political climate in a country it's backfired and undermined reform movements for decades.
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +255 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

I think you meant "the former option would create a world war" but . . . I think most agree with you on the better choice :D
  11. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

well considering they actually attacked the WTC twice would tell you that it is very possible

there are so many ways an attack could be perpetrated that it is easy to say and then execute without interruption
  12. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Although our policy in Afghanistan prior to 9/11 was exactly what they wanted, non-involvement, and it cost us. What other policy choice could Obama pursue in Afghanistan and Pakistan? We've already seen that letting them be didn't work.

To the larger point I would disagree with the notion that our policies created 9/11. I think it is important that we recognize that our military presence around the world can be a hot button issue, but 9/11 was a product of a twisted ideology that uses the presence of American troops as a pretext for terrorism. Even were we to leave all bases in the middle east, the Taliban, Al Qaeda, and other religious extremist groups would find other reasons to continue their jihad against the west; the existence of Israel, the "corruption" of Islam in the more moderate gulf states, the influence of western pop culture on their society, the calls for equality for women, the presence of religious minorities in the homeland, etc etc. That is why to me any plan to remove US military from the region would be folly, it would leave our allies unprotected but still not sate the desires of these maniacs to see the fall of anything not in strict accord with their own view of a perfect society.
  13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +255 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

Imagine if they killed Obama and Biden simultaneously (not that that is their type of attack but . . . ) we would have President Pelosi.

Yow, they couldn't inflict a worse attack.
  14. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

but not as dangerous as clinton's wagging the dog that paved the way to 9/11
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  15. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

You won't get an argument out of me on that.
  16. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Clinton did it, have not heard that in a while.. exhonerate George once again, but we have argued this ad infinitum.. Bush was taking a nap on the porch.
  17. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Al Qaeda and the Taliban are far too smart to release any info to this country that is a valid statement about attacking the country - Its only when we all settle down and don't expect things to happen is when they do strike or begin to plan- Its all BS by the media if you ask me.
  18. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

who....Clinton?
  19. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

that's right......stick up for the guy who's responsible just because he's one of yours.......

WTC I
    Embassy bombing kenya
    Embassy bombing tanzania
    USS cole

the pattern was set and clinton did nothing
  20. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

They never said "Hey yoo who... over here... look were going to attack the WTC and theres nothing you can do about it". Besides this is the Taliban OBL isn't saying this. I don't know if that matters much,but it is a factor.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2009