Status
Not open for further replies.

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Maybe its me. In another thread people are saying the NY Jets have a 'lot of talent'. I dont see it but I thought this might be a good exercise.
Take the best 10 players on the Jets and then find a team to compare them to that is clearly less talented in their best 10 players.
I would say the best 10 Jets are:

Faneca
Revis
Mangold
Harris
Jones
Rhodes
Scott
Ferguson
Ellis
Pace

I left out Jenkins because he is not a full time player and cannot last a full season.
Feel free to disagree with the list if you think it is awful.
Then....

Find a team (I think the Lions aren't necessary to use) that clearly is less talented in its best 10 players. Feel free to adjust the order I ranked them in.

I'd really like to see if people can find many teams that are worse in their best 10 players than this list.

I have to disagree with the exercise. The top 10 guys on a roster do not win you a Super Bowl. There are some interesting things I find with your list.

-6 of the players are on defense, 7 if you include Jenkins, which you really should given his 2008 performance. It's a pretty talented starting group, like it or not. Where the D may fail is depth. The Jets D stayed remarkably healthy last year. If a Jenkins or Rhodes goes down, this unit could tank fast.

-The offensive line is stacked. Sanchez should have the time to make his throws, and then some. Most rookie QBs play behind lousy lines, Sanchez will be working from an advantage here, but...

-There is a noticeable lack of skill position players on this list. Give Sanchez all the time in the world to throw when Jehrico Cotchery and Dustin Kellar are your only targets, all you're going to see is a lot of balls thrown away.

For units with obviously less talented top 10s, I'd suggest Cleveland, Jacksonville, Denver, Oakland, Washington, Tampa, Seattle, San Fran and St. Louis.

I have to disagree with the exercise. The top 10 guys on a roster do not win you a Super Bowl. There are some interesting things I find with your list.

True, but that's not the point in this case. The whole point is that people's defense of the Jets is essentially that, although they don't have depth, their top-end talent is good enough that that somehow won't screw them in the end. If anything, this exercise should make them seem better than they are.

Last edited:
Starting in division: Buffalo Bills (in no particular order)

Marshawn Lynch
Trent Edwards
Terrell Owens
Aaron Schobel
Leodis McKelvin
Paul Posluszny
Donte Whitner
Marcus Stroud
Terrence McGee
Fred Jackson

Houston:

Andre Johnson
Mario Williams
DeMeco Ryans
Owen Daniels
Antonio Smith
Matt Schaub
Steve Slaton
Dunta Robinson
Amobi Okoye
Antonio Smith

I'd take that group over the Jets' top 10.

I think if we are just ranking the 10 best players on a team, then you need to include Leon Washington on the Jets list. He has game breaking ability as a change of pace back and a kick returner.

-The offensive line is stacked. Sanchez should have the time to make his throws, and then some. Most rookie QBs play behind lousy lines, Sanchez will be working from an advantage here, but...

The Jets offensive line is not that good. D'Brick is still a disappointment and Woody's not a tackle. The right guard position is quite weak and Faneca is on the downslide. They are excellent at center, though.

The line's not terrible, but I just can't buy "stacked".

Last edited:
The Jets offensive line is not that good. D'Brick is still a disappointment and Woody's not a tackle. The right guard position is quite weak and Faneca is on the downslide. They are excellent at center, though.

The line's not terrible, but I just can't buy "stacked".

I agree, I don't think the Jets O-line is that great either. However, I hear good things about Mangold.

-6 of the players are on defense, 7 if you include Jenkins, which you really should given his 2008 performance. It's a pretty talented starting group, like it or not. Where the D may fail is depth. The Jets D stayed remarkably healthy last year. If a Jenkins or Rhodes goes down, this unit could tank fast.

-There is a noticeable lack of skill position players on this list. Give Sanchez all the time in the world to throw when Jehrico Cotchery and Dustin Kellar are your only targets, all you're going to see is a lot of balls thrown away.

For units with obviously less talented top 10s, I'd suggest Cleveland, Jacksonville, Denver, Oakland, Washington, Tampa, Seattle, San Fran and St. Louis.

Because 6 of 10 are on D does not mean the D is good any more than it may mean the O is bad. With the noticable lack of a QB or WR in your top 10 its hard to have less than 6 guys from the D.
See Deus' comments on the OL, which I agree. 2 good players is not stacked.

I think if we are just ranking the 10 best players on a team, then you need to include Leon Washington on the Jets list. He has game breaking ability as a change of pace back and a kick returner.
Who do you take off to make room in the top ten for him. Not necessarily disagreeing, just wondering. (Though for me, talent-wise, I guess I just don't see Leon as one of the ten best players on the team. He isn't even the best RB on the team IMO.)

Last edited:

But he plays 10-15 plays all game.

Houston:

Andre Johnson
Mario Williams
DeMeco Ryans
Owen Daniels
Antonio Smith
Matt Schaub
Steve Slaton
Dunta Robinson
Amobi Okoye
Antonio Smith

I'd take that group over the Jets' top 10.

Just pointing out that you mentioned Antonio Smith twice :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back