PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Taking a vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.
patpatriot said:
oohhh that smarts. Come back when you grow a thicker skin.

Thanks troll

scout said:
While I side with the older members on the Patriots strategy, I feel strongly that we should not run off new comers. This is a very edgy, frustrating time of the year. We all know BB and company will sit back and wait it out. Its not tantalizing, its nerve racking. But who can argue with the results. If you feel that there is another coach and personal man you'd want for the Patriots then you should post it. If you just want controversy then you need to go to the political forum where you'll be welcomed with open arms! I still believe in BB and company and know when the dust settles we still will be the team to beat.
At the same time, if you're going to post something like that (in light of the recent track record, and the fact that its a week into the new FA period, and still five months from the season), you better be prepared to defend it. A message board is as much about vigorous debate as it is anything else. The idea that 'controversy' is a threat, I can't get behind that. What kind of board would it be if any nonsense that pops into people's heads becomes a new post, or even worse, yet another thread? And anybody that challenges that is being rude and unwelcoming? What value is there in that? What kind of board is that?

Digger you should really hang in. Patssox 23 too. I would urge all vets to pull together and work with Ian right now to figure out a way to create a higher standard for this board. Its a good board. Don't let go of it.

The burden should be on new people - like me, for example - to prove that they come here in a sincere way, whether we all share the same opinions or not. Having a bunch of ridiculous front runners and trolls posting a bunch of nonsense here, to the extent that you guys feel like you need to head to higher ground to avoid the BS, losing your voices here when its possibly the most intriguing time of the year.....well, that's just all screwed up.

Last edited:
scout said:
While I side with the older members on the Patriots strategy, I feel strongly that we should not run off new comers. This is a very edgy, frustrating time of the year. We all know BB and company will sit back and wait it out. Its not tantalizing, its nerve racking. But who can argue with the results. If you feel that there is another coach and personal man you'd want for the Patriots then you should post it. If you just want controversy then you need to go to the political forum where you'll be welcomed with open arms! I still believe in BB and company and know when the dust settles we still will be the team to beat.

I think newcomers to the board are great for the team and fan base. This board has always prided itself with excellence and professionalism. There are always heated discussions and disagreements, those help this board bcs they provoke thought and expand horizons. For example, husker gets on my nerves and we argue, but we cause each other to think and help see other viewpoints. That is why I have loved this board. As far as what is going on right now with the lunacy on the main board, it dissapoints me to see 20 posts that are far from the excellence we have maintained. Ian is a great manager and I hope it settles down. I will pop back in next week. Good luck to you all.

Pats67 said:
At the same time, if you're going to post something like that (in light of the recent track record, and the fact that its a week into the new FA period, and still five months from the season), you better be prepared to defend it. A message board is as much about vigorous debate as it is anything else. The idea that 'controversy' is a threat, I can't get behind that. What kind of board would it be if any nonsense that pops into people's heads becomes a new post, or even worse, yet another thread? And anybody that challenges that is being rude and unwelcoming? What value is there in that? What kind of board is that?

A message board is EXACTLY whatever nonsense pops into people's heads. Whether the posts become a thread depends partly upon whether experienced posters - who can clearly see the nature of the thread from its title - decide to grace it with a response.

Opinions can also be challenged without being insulting, but so far I'm just seeing those people who would like to see some FA results getting their heads bitten off, being called johnny-come-lately, being the target of insinuations that a fee for the site might deter these lesser beings and so on and so on.

(I happen to think the suggestion that the threads in question are being started as deliberate provocations is wrong in almost all cases)

Last edited:
scout said:

I was just going to say the same thing.

I haven't been around here for a while, but it seems as if we've got quite a few single digit wunderlics roaming around.

It's a discusion board. Noone can expect everyone else to agree on everything. Well unless for maybe the Absolute Brady board -:)

Digger44 said:
This board has offically become ******ed. All the work Ian has done to keep it a quality board has been smashed by pure idiocy. End of the world, firing BB, whining about lost players, and temper tantrums are totally ******ed. Thanks for taking a well thought out board with logical conversation and rivalry and changing it to Idiots-R-Us. Going on vacation form here for a while.

Hey, when you're on your vacation, let us know if you run into Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli. If you do, tell them it's okay to sign people now. A new CBA has been agreed upon. There are only six teams currently in the NFL who haven't signed an outside free agent and the Patriots are one of them. Looks like you're not the only one on vacation.

Sigh

Ed Hillel said:
I haven't been around here for a while, but it seems as if we've got quite a few single digit wunderlics roaming around.

Ed, with dazzling insight like that, it's beyond me how this board has survived your absence.

I think alot of you guys (especially you Digger)

Digger44 said:
This board has offically become ******ed. All the work Ian has done to keep it a quality board has been smashed by pure idiocy. End of the world, firing BB, whining about lost players, and temper tantrums are totally ******ed. Thanks for taking a well thought out board with logical conversation and rivalry and changing it to Idiots-R-Us. Going on vacation form here for a while.

Like to look at EVERYTHING through rose colored glasses. Everything Belichick and Pioli do is PERFECT.......They always make perfect decisions....If BB does something a certain way.....well there is no other way....and do not EVER question it......if a "star" player doesn't get an offer from the Pats and gets traded/picked up by another team....well then they aren't worth it....and goodbye and don't let the door hit you in the ***** on the way out.....and last but not least.......GAWD forbid someone disagree with your opinion....they must be a troll.....must be a moron.......must be a whiner etc......last I checked this was a free country......and everyone is entitled to their opinion....and their views as a FAN........doesn't seem like that "right" exists all the time on here these days......

In irony, what has often DESTROYED this board as of recent, is many "old timers" if that is what you want to call them....going BALLISTIC, if god forbid anyone says anything questioning a move/decision that was made by Belichick or the Pats management/ownership. This board WAS great, when you could debate anything...logically...and when one could deal with other level headed fans.....that would debate things intelligently and with etiquette. Where someone would say "I appreciate your opinion, but I feel differently about it" etc

Now you bring up a question that may challenge a move by BB or someone else involved with the Pats and you get "Shut up you whiner....what are you a troll?.....you think you know more than BB?.....Get out of here"..... what a sad mentality.......

I, for one, appreciate any rational opinion on here (90% of my posts contain....."appreciate your opinion.....or good points.....even if I don't agree 100% with what was said)......I would encourage everyone to look at all sides of an opinion, other than their own.........

Digger, in all honesty, you come up with some great points.....but the hair across the butt attitude towards anyone that differs from your way of thinking.....has got to go..........one man's opinion.......

Forget the fact that I'm a board admin, let's just talk like normal people here.

I'm one of you guys, and I don't blame the people who want to take a break from this board. This is ridiculous.....it's March 15th a little less than 6 months until the season gets here, and there is plenty that can happen between now and then. We lose a couple of free agents and people are acting like the sky is falling. I've never seen anything like it.

Losing McGinest is obviously a big deal, but there's no question that the contract he got in Cleveland was certainly a bit bigger than I expected. He's a good player, but for the money he received it's hard to say whether or not he could have performed at this level for two more (let alone three) seasons. It's a good deal for him, and you can't fault him for going for it. However I'd hardly call him irreplacable. However he's been a good player and a class act, and I wish him the best.

Next, losing Givens is obviously difficult, but it's still early enough to replace him. Who that player will be is tough to say at this point, but it's not like training camp is in two weeks. With the draft coming up along with more cuts likely in another couple of months, someone will be there. If you had told me when we took him in the 7th round that he would have been the player he was here, I would never have believed you. Thankfully he was, and now we'll see how he does in Tennessee.

As for Adam Vinatieri, I think he'll end up staying. I think for the money he's looking for and the way the market is unfolding, he can easily match that here in New England between what the team will likely pay him and the endorsements he can get here in this region. Let's face it, he's not going to be getting a lot of commercial appearances in Dallas.

Yes they haven't exactly jumped in with both feet at the guys who have been available, but aside from the Colvin signing years ago everyone knows that's not their style. I don't remember anyone in this forum going crazy when we signed Vrabel way back when, and he's one example of a no-name guy who can be a great contributor. There will be more I'm sure.

For a fan base and group of people, many of whom are regulars here that are generally pretty level headed and intelligent, I can't believe you're acting like the world is coming to an end. Guys are going to come and go, that's just the nature of this business. But I'd at least wait until camp starts before I start judging this year's team.

It just makes me laugh that everyone is freaking out in March. It's just insane.

Ian

stcjones said:
Like to look at EVERYTHING through rose colored glasses. Everything Belichick and Pioli do is PERFECT.......They always make perfect decisions....If BB does something a certain way.....well there is no other way....and do not EVER question it......if a "star" player doesn't get an offer from the Pats and gets traded/picked up by another team....well then they aren't worth it....and goodbye and don't let the door hit you in the ***** on the way out.....and last but not least.......GAWD forbid someone disagree with your opinion....they must be a troll.....must be a moron.......must be a whiner etc......last I checked this was a free country......and everyone is entitled to their opinion....and their views as a FAN........doesn't seem like that "right" exists all the time on here these days......

In irony, what has often DESTROYED this board as of recent, is many "old timers" if that is what you want to call them....going BALLISTIC, if god forbid anyone says anything questioning a move/decision that was made by Belichick or the Pats management/ownership. This board WAS great, when you could debate anything...logically...and when one could deal with other level headed fans.....that would debate things intelligently and with etiquette. Where someone would say "I appreciate your opinion, but I feel differently about it" etc

Now you bring up a question that may challenge a move by BB or someone else involved with the Pats and you get "Shut up you whiner....what are you a troll?.....you think you know more than BB?.....Get out of here"..... what a sad mentality.......

I, for one, appreciate any rational opinion on here (90% of my posts contain....."appreciate your opinion.....or good points.....even if I don't agree 100% with what was said)......I would encourage everyone to look at all sides of an opinion, other than their own.........

Digger, in all honesty, you come up with some great points.....but the hair across the butt attitude towards anyone that differs from your way of thinking.....has got to go..........one man's opinion.......

I agree to a certain extent STC, and I do think it's O.K. to question the moves of the coaching staff...no one has a problem with that. But to answer your question and to defend Digger's stance, the "Should BB be fired?" thread is probably the one that sparked this thread. I guarantee if you asked him that's probably the main reason why he started this thread. I'll tell you right now that I shook my head when I read that :rolleyes:

Not to mention seeing everyone turn on eachother here, it's ridiculous. The only way I'd expect to see that would be during a 2-15 season, but to do it in March and call for Belichick's head now is nonsense :explative.

Ian

Last edited:
Think about it Ian

Change is hard. The players that are going arn't so much bit role (not to downplay him) guys like Chatham but the guys who took us from Palookaville to the limelight. Is it so hard to understand that many people feel that when they go, the magic goes with them and we will be just another team that competes like Denver or Tampa and not something special?

Last edited:
Ian said:
Forget the fact that I'm a board admin, let's just talk like normal people here.

I'm one of you guys, and I don't blame the people who want to take a break from this board. This is ridiculous.....it's March 15th a little less than 6 months until the season gets here, and there is plenty that can happen between now and then. We lose a couple of free agents and people are acting like the sky is falling. I've never seen anything like it.

Losing McGinest is obviously a big deal, but there's no question that the contract he got in Cleveland was certainly a bit bigger than I expected. He's a good player, but for the money he received it's hard to say whether or not he could have performed at this level for two more (let alone three) seasons. It's a good deal for him, and you can't fault him for going for it. However I'd hardly call him irreplacable. However he's been a good player and a class act, and I wish him the best.

Next, losing Givens is obviously difficult, but it's still early enough to replace him. Who that player will be is tough to say at this point, but it's not like training camp is in two weeks. With the draft coming up along with more cuts likely in another couple of months, someone will be there. If you had told me when we took him in the 7th round that he would have been the player he was here, I would never have believed you. Thankfully he was, and now we'll see how he does in Tennessee.

As for Adam Vinatieri, I think he'll end up staying. I think for the money he's looking for and the way the market is unfolding, he can easily match that here in New England between what the team will likely pay him and the endorsements he can get here in this region. Let's face it, he's not going to be getting a lot of commercial appearances in Dallas.

Yes they haven't exactly jumped in with both feet at the guys who have been available, but aside from the Colvin signing years ago everyone knows that's not their style. I don't remember anyone in this forum going crazy when we signed Vrabel way back when, and he's one example of a no-name guy who can be a great contributor. There will be more I'm sure.

For a fan base and group of people, many of whom are regulars here that are generally pretty level headed and intelligent, I can't believe you're acting like the world is coming to an end. Guys are going to come and go, that's just the nature of this business. But I'd at least wait until camp starts before I start judging this year's team.

It just makes me laugh that everyone is freaking out in March. It's just insane.

Ian

Yep i knew i liked this board and here's why. Now i am gonna agree with the um "old timers" and take a break. Happy doom and gloom to the rest of you.

It's tough to see them go, I agree, but to overreact in March is just ridiculous. If they draft no one in April, sign no one by the time camp starts, and go on to finish 6-10 during the season, then I'll start worrying about what direction this team is really headed :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You realize if they sign Petersen or move up and draft Hawk or do anything that excites and fires up the imagination, this board will mellow out in a hurry.

Ian, I've been frequenting your site since the first year you put it up and the old NEPats site was still in existence. Most of these posters would have had cardiac arrests if they lived through the Booby Grier "29 out of 31 draft picks fall flat" years. They really have no clue how fortunate we are that Bob Kraft has the sagacity to hire Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli.

Myself, I wouldn't mind a little adversity....it would thin the ranks of all these frontrunners

Joker said:
You realize if they sign Petersen or move up and draft Hawk or do anything that excites and fires up the imagination, this board will mellow out in a hurry.

Ian, I've been frequenting your site since the first year you put it up and the old NEPats site was still in existence. Most of these posters would have had cardiac arrests if they lived through the Booby Grier "29 out of 31 draft picks fall flat" years. They really have no clue how fortunate we are that Bob Kraft has the sagacity to hire Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli.

Myself, I wouldn't mind a little adversity....it would thin the ranks of all these frontrunners

I appreciate that, and it's good to see you. I also agree that should we see another Chris Canty drafted, only then will I start to question their personnel decisions.

One thing people would probably agree on is I can't get over how many guys they've drafted in the past few years who have turned out to be solid contributors to this team (Samuel, Wilson, Givens, Branch, Wilfork, etc. just o name a few). Granted we just lost one, but let's face it, you can't keep them all. I'd just like to see them grab a linebacker as they need youth at that position, but that's the only position they never seem to draft for. I guess they just believe that having veterans there is more important. After all, you can definitely say It's worked out just fine so far.

Ian......

Ian said:
I agree to a certain extent STC, and I do think it's O.K. to question the moves of the coaching staff...no one has a problem with that. But to answer your question and to defend Digger's stance, the "Should BB be fired?" thread is probably the one that sparked this thread. I guarantee if you asked him that's probably the main reason why he started this thread. I'll tell you right now that I shook my head when I read that :rolleyes:

Not to mention seeing everyone turn on eachother here, it's ridiculous. The only way I'd expect to see that would be during a 2-15 season, but to do it in March and call for Belichick's head now is nonsense :explative.

Ian

To be honest.....I haven't even read the "Should BB fired" thread.....and quite obviously.....that is absolutely ludicrous in my opinion......However, there are those who apparently must feel that BB has lost his edge, and the team is headed on a downslope.....SO IN THEIR opinion.......he needs to go.......I can't see the rationale AT ALL/in the least..... in that way of thinking.....but everyone is entitled to their opinion.....just like everyone has a "you know what" as the saying goes ;)

You are also correct....that there is FAR too much "turning" on each other here......and nasty, insulting remarks made by people that do not see things EXACTLY as you see them. That is unfortunate..........and people need to simply say "You are entitled to your opinion, but I disagree".....and MOVE ON........everyone is different on here....and has many different views on the same topic. I really enjoy reading views on something that I haven't thought of....when presented intelligently and with good etiquette.......one man's opinion.......

good points.....

Joker said:

"Most of these posters would have had cardiac arrests if they lived through the Booby Grier "29 out of 31 draft picks fall flat" years. They really have no clue how fortunate we are that Bob Kraft has the sagacity to hire Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli."

Good points here Joker.......I remember those days.....and yes, in my opinion, we are VERY fortunate to have the great ownership of Robert Kraft, and overall.....the leadership of BB and Pioli. Their record in player personnel overall is very positive........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots