PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Taking a crack at projecting the 53 man roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Well, since it's been a while since I've last made one, and several things have happened since (release of Fanene, uprisings of Ebner, Bolden, Fletcher IRed) I've decided to make a new one.
*Offense*
QB Brady Hoyer Mallett (3)
RB-Ridley Vereen Woodhead Bolden Demps (5)
WR-Welker Lloyd Gaffney Branch Edelman Slater (6)
TE-Gronk Hernandez Shiancoe (3)
OL-Solder Mankins Vollmer Waters Connolly Thomas Cannon Wendell McDonald (9)

*Defense*
DE-Jones Bequette Ninkovich Cunnigham Francis (5)
DT-Wilfork Love Deaderick Brace (4)
LB-Mayo Spikes Hightower Carpenter Tarpinian (5)
CB-McCourty Dowling Arrington Moore Allen (5)
S-Chung Gregory Wilson Ebner Ihedigbo (5)

ST- Gostkowski Mesko Aiken (3)

IR-Flecther, Dennard, Ballard

Thoughts??

I would take away an RB (Bolden) and add a big (Fanene)

Shiancoe is injured. I would substitute Fells.

I see Niko Koutavides making the last LB roster spot, he's turning into a solid ST player and is currenty playing on 6 Special Teams. In addition, I think he's pretty athletic and a good tackler; he made some nice tackles last night vs the Eagles.

I see Niko Koutavides making the last LB roster spot, he's turning into a solid ST player and is currenty playing on 6 Special Teams. In addition, I think he's pretty athletic and a good tackler; he made some nice tackles last night vs the Eagles.

It was a toss up between him and Tarp. I also like Niko on our squad, I just chose Tarp instead iI suppose.

Tarp is a JAG who'd be lucky to make the PS.

Last edited:
Tarp is a JAG who'd be lucky to make the PS.

Tarp made the 53-man roster last year. Not that that's a promise, but I think you've overstated the situation.

I think Koutouvides has made the team. I don't see why you've kept Francis. As mentioned, I would probably swap Shiancoe for Fells... even tho Silvestro is the guy that's been performing on the field.

The only other difference between our lists is that I've kept Scott, based on his STs play since losing Fletcher, and cut Allen. But that's a toss up in my book. I thought Allen looked good against the Eagles and would love to see him as Chung-insurance. Scott's contribution to the team would be much more narrow.

Tarpinian has more upside ... Niko is an 8th year player ... I like Tarp but hey this could be the last gasp at a Super Bowl so who cares about development.

I'll never understand the morbid fascination...

You guys would be just as well off smoking crack...as trying to guess what Belichick is thinking 10 days before final cutdowns...;)

From the Pats Picker thread...thoughts?

QB (3) Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett, Brian Hoyer
RB (5) Shane Vereen, Stevan Ridley, Danny Woodhead, Jeff Demps, Spencer Larsen
WR (6) Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd, Deion Branch, Jabar Gaffney, Julian Edelman, Matthew Slater
TE (3) Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Daniel Fells
C (1) Ryan Wendell
G (4) Logan Mankins, Dan Connolly, Donald Thomas, Nick McDonald
T (3) Nate Solder, Sebastian Vollmer, Marcus Cannon
DE (4) Chandler Jones, Trevor Scott, Brandon Deaderick, Jake Bequette
DT (4) Vince Wilfork, Kyle Love, Myron Pryor, Ron Brace
ILB(4) Donta Hightower, Brandon Spikes, Niko Koutouvides, Jeff Tarpinian
OLB(3) Jerod Mayo, Rob Ninkovich, Bobby Carpenter
CB (5) Devin McCourty, Kyle Arrington, Ras-I Dowling, Sterling Moore, Alfonzo Dennard
SS (2) Patrick Chung, Nate Ebner
FS (3) Steve Gregory, Tavon Wilson, Will Allen
ST (3) Zoltan Mesko, Danny Aiken, Stephen Gostkowski

Total players: 53
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2012

Now with no Fanene and no Dane Fletcher I think Koutouvides and Tarpinian sneak on. Tough cuts were Koppen, Stallworth, Ebert (I hope he can stick around on the practice squad, maybe we should stop playing him), and Jermaine Cunningham (last one not that tough). Wouldn't be surprised if Waters and/or Gerard Warren go to the shadow roster with Kevin Faulk.

Right now I've got this:

QB (3): Brady, Hoyer, Mallett
RB (5): Ridley, Vereen, Woodhead, Demps, Bolden
WR (6): Welker, Lloyd, Gaffney, Branch, Edelman, Slater
TE (3): Gronkowski, Hernandez, Fells
OL (9): Solder, Mankins, Connolly, Waters, Vollmer, Cannon, Thomas, Wendell, McDonald
DL (4): Wilfork, Love, Deaderick, Brace
DL/LB (4): Jones, Cunningham, Ninkovich, Bequette
LB (7): Hightower, Spikes, Mayo, Carpenter, Tarpinian, White, Koutouvides
CB (5): McCourty, Arrington, Dowling, Moore, Dennard
S (4): Chung, Gregory, Wilson, Ebner
ST (3): Gostkowski, Mesko, Aiken
PUP/NFI (3): Ballard, Pryor, Zusevics

Some individual thoughts:

-Bolden sticks because there isn't a better power RB on the roster than him right now, even if he is only PS-caliber. What if Ridley went down and Bolden weren't on the roster? Better low quality than nothing at all. If a good goal line back from another team gets cut, he'll be here.

-Branch and Gaffney win the best 2 of 3 battle with Stallworth the odd man out.

-Shiancoe gets cut because of health and the numbers game in general.

-I think Waters reports and steals Koppen's roster spot.

-I was 50/50 on Trevor Scott vs Niko Koutouvides. Gave the tie to the longest tenure on the team. I also think LB depth is more important than DE depth at this point.

-All signs point to IR for Dennard, but I'm not going to predict any players being put on IR because that would be way too much of a shot in the dark. I do think it happens, though, and Marquice Cole takes his spot.

I do wish I could have found a spot for Ihedigbo but it didn't happen.

You guys would be just as well off smoking crack...as trying to guess what Belichick is thinking 10 days before final cutdowns...;)

Who say's we're not, are the two mutually exclusive?

Well, since it's been a while since I've last made one, and several things have happened since (release of Fanene, uprisings of Ebner, Bolden, Fletcher IRed) I've decided to make a new one.
*Offense*
QB Brady Hoyer Mallett (3)
RB-Ridley Vereen Woodhead Bolden Demps (5)
WR-Welker Lloyd Gaffney Branch Edelman Slater (6)
TE-Gronk Hernandez Shiancoe (3)
OL-Solder Mankins Vollmer Waters Connolly Thomas Cannon Wendell McDonald (9)

*Defense*
DE-Jones Bequette Ninkovich Cunnigham Francis (5)
DT-Wilfork Love Deaderick Brace (4)
LB-Mayo Spikes Hightower Carpenter Tarpinian (5)
CB-McCourty Dowling Arrington Moore Allen (5)
S-Chung Gregory Wilson Ebner Ihedigbo (5)

ST- Gostkowski Mesko Aiken (3)

IR-Flecther, Dennard, Ballard

Thoughts??

I like your roster for the most part, and only have some minor disagreements. I think that ideally they'd like to be able to get a little more interior pressure (Pryor, sticking because he'll do what Fanene was supposed to), perhaps at Tarpinian's expense. I'm also not sure what Ihedigbo brings to the team, in terms of value. Would rather see the Pats use Allen at safety and have another CB on the roster (Dennard or Cole, latter if they're looking primarily for ST value).

Right now I've got this:

QB (3): Brady, Hoyer, Mallett
RB (5): Ridley, Vereen, Woodhead, Demps, Bolden
WR (6): Welker, Lloyd, Gaffney, Branch, Edelman, Slater
TE (3): Gronkowski, Hernandez, Fells
OL (9): Solder, Mankins, Connolly, Waters, Vollmer, Cannon, Thomas, Wendell, McDonald
DL (4): Wilfork, Love, Deaderick, Brace
DL/LB (4): Jones, Cunningham, Ninkovich, Bequette
LB (7): Hightower, Spikes, Mayo, Carpenter, Tarpinian, White, Koutouvides
CB (5): McCourty, Arrington, Dowling, Moore, Dennard
S (4): Chung, Gregory, Wilson, Ebner
ST (3): Gostkowski, Mesko, Aiken
PUP/NFI (3): Ballard, Pryor, Zusevics
Good job!

With regard to the offensive line, I could envision Koppen over Thomas, since Thomas does not play center. Both McDonald and Wendell can play guard as well as center.

Due to Chung's injury last night, I could envision a fifth safety in lieu of Tracy White, who has missed plenty of practices this off-season.

If Dennard's hamstring does not heal, he could end up on injured reserve.

Last edited:

You guys would be just as well off smoking crack...as trying to guess what Belichick is thinking 10 days before final cutdowns...
Louis Friend .....

You need to get more fun out of life! ;)

I don't think anyone ever expects to be dead on- we all know that that's an exercise in futility. It's just a way to kill time, get a better understanding of the tradeoffs inherent in roster building, and ultimately see how close you can get.

I'm also not sure what Ihedigbo brings to the team, in terms of value. Would rather see the Pats use Allen at safety and have another CB on the roster (Dennard or Cole, latter if they're looking primarily for ST value).

Is there any possibility that we would need more of a backup to Chung's position? In other words, more of a SS type than FS (again sigh, understanding that we don't use those designations).

If that would be the case, I'm not sure that Allen would be the best fit. Actually I'm not expecting Allen to make the team myself, but I could be wrong of course.

If this were a viable scenario, then one of Ihedigbo/Barrett would then be needed.

Dennard is a question mark for me, due to not seeing the field very much so far. He certainly is a candidate for IR in my opinion, whereas maybe a guy like Cole would stick as the CB5.

QB (3) Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett, Brian Hoyer
RB (5) Shane Vereen, Stevan Ridley, Brandon Bolden, Danny Woodhead, Jeff Demps
WR (6) Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd, Jabar Gaffney, Deion Branch, Matthew Slater, Julian Edelman
TE (3) Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Daniel Fells
C (2) Dan Connolly, Ryan Wendell
G (4) Logan Mankins, Brian Waters, Nick McDonald, Marcus Cannon
T (2) Sebastian Vollmer, Nate Solder
DE (5) Chandler Jones, Jake Bequette, Trevor Scott, Jermaine Cunningham, Justin Francis
DT (4) Vince Wilfork, Ron Brace, Brandon Deaderick, Kyle Love
ILB(3) Jerod Mayo, Brandon Spikes, Niko Koutouvides
OLB(3) Donta Hightower, Rob Ninkovich, Bobby Carpenter
CB (6) Devin McCourty, Ras-I Dowling, Kyle Arrington, Sterling Moore, Alfonzo Dennard, Will Allen
SS (2) Steve Gregory, Nate Ebner
FS (2) Patrick Chung, Tavon Wilson
ST (3) Stephen Gostkowski, Danny Aiken, Zoltan Mesko

Total players: 53
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye