PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Takeo Spikes may get cut. Is he worth a look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He may be a good addition on the outside depending on his health. However, I feel the Pats should sign one or two LB's that can start next year and draft two LB's in the first round. What do you guy's think?

http://rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

takeo Spikes wouldbe agreat addition otthe Pats. Asa good sized SOLB he would migrat inside ot a ILB on the Pats. Sign him up! And sign Nap Harrsi as the tweo vet ILBs to bring in.

I would prefer London - Baker - Fletcher whatever. Anyone see the Belistrator (sp) where Belichick was breaking down the Bills defense and spoke about London?

I would prefer London - Baker - Fletcher whatever. Anyone see the Belistrator (sp) where Belichick was breaking down the Bills defense and spoke about London?

From the DVD 21 great disk and yes Bill loves the guy but will he sign him I hope so.

I'd love to see both London and Takeo here and draft a rookie to groom and this defense would be even nastier than last years

Spike would be a great addition. IMO he should be back to normal this coming season and should have 2 prime seasons left. The thing that will be interesting is his cost if he is cut. It is hard to gage what he will be looking for. If we signed Spikes and J Johnson then used a 1st rounder on a ILB, we would upgrade our LB corps overnight. I love that this is not out of the realm of possibility.

If T. Spikes get dropped, Pats will push hard to sign him.. The guy is a beast ever year he has played and has the size to play anywhere @ LB.

Lets put it this way, he becomes a FA, he moves right behind Thomas as the best LB in Free Agency..

I think most of us would kill to add Takeo Spikes to the mix. Doubtful, but I'd love it.

Just as an FYI, his contract isn't that bad at all. Buffalo can certainly afford him. So, why are they letting him go?

Marv Levy thinks he's done. I'm not sure that Marv is correct. But that's the word. Spikes is not getting paid huge money right now, but the money he is getting for his performance is too much. He's not even cut yet and the media keeps saying the Bills need more from his position. In Buffalo, they believe that Cato June will be an upgrade over Spikes. Achilles' tendons are not easy injuries to come back from. You lose speed with those.

There are many linebackers available. Two of Spikes, Harris and Fletcher would float my boat. Obviously, the patriots have done very well getting a quality year or two out of "over the hill" linebackers.

I think Fletcher is pioli's #1 target. If Spikes is cut, then he is 1a.

There are many linebackers available. Two of Spikes, Harris and Fletcher would float my boat. Obviously, the patriots have done very well getting a quality year or two out of "over the hill" linebackers.

I think Fletcher is pioli's #1 target. If Spikes is cut, then he is 1a.

Belichick loves London. The Patriots will try and sign him.

They must draft a good LB or 2 over the next 2 years. Living with 30 + year old LB's will catch up to them. Like the Colts game this year.

I'm sure Brady would like Spikes either on our team or out of the AFC East.

I would like to have Takeo Spikes also but I have a question about Fletcher?
I understand that linebackers in the Patriots sytem are usually in a certain height and weight range for the inside linebackers and the outside linebackers so why are quite a few people on this board are so high on London Fletcher with the following measurements. Its just a question because I can't remember the Pats having a starting linebacker that size.

London Fletcher-Baker, LB 5-10 245 31 9 John Carroll

Takeo Spikes, LB 6-2 242 30 9 Auburn

I would like to have Takeo Spikes also but I have a question about Fletcher?
I understand that linebackers in the Patriots sytem are usually in a certain height and weight range for the inside linebackers and the outside linebackers so why are quite a few people on this board are so high on London Fletcher with the following measurements. Its just a question because I can't remember the Pats having a starting linebacker that size.

Takeo Spikes, LB 6-2 242 30 9 Auburn

ILB is not about seeing into the backfield, its more about reading pre snap keys in the offensive line, identifying plays, and reacting quickly without false steps, all of which Fletcher does well. Height is an advantage but can also be a disadvantage. Height usually means you can carry more weight, which helps an ILB with durability over the course of the season taking on blocks as is common in the 3-4 alignment. It can also mean you have longer arms so you can disengage from blockers more effectively. But, it can also be a disadvantage, because taller ILB/MLBs lose the leverage battle more often than desirable vs. the run. That is why Urlacher is not a premier run defender, and maybe why BB made Vrabel the Will and not the Mike when he moved him to ILB after Seau's injury. A tall Will can be a more intimidating pass defender to a QB because he can get to more balls and create more difficult throwing angles, provided the LBer is agile enough to get adequate drops in coverage. That is Urlacher's strength. So Fletcher has less than ideal height, but he had at least 12 passes defensed, has proved durable for 10 years, is an experienced, emotional, team player, very coachable, excels at pre snap reads, and rarely takes a false step. BB would adjust the defense to suit his strengths and hide his weaknesses. Bruschi is listed at 6'1'' but his actual height may even be a shade under 6'.

Last edited:
ILB is not about seeing into the backfield, its more about reading pre snap keys in the offensive line, identifying plays, and reacting quickly without false steps, all of which Fletcher does well. Height is an advantage but can also be a disadvantage. Height usually means you can carry more weight, which helps an ILB with durability over the course of the season taking on blocks as is common in the 3-4 alignment. It can also mean you have longer arms so you can disengage from blockers more effectively. But, it can also be a disadvantage, because taller ILB/MLBs lose the leverage battle more often than desirable vs. the run. That is why Urlacher is not a premier run defender, and maybe why BB made Vrabel the Will and not the Mike when he moved him to ILB after Seau's injury. A tall Will can be a more intimidating pass defender to a QB because he can get to more balls and create more difficult throwing angles, provided the LBer is agile enough to get adequate drops in coverage. That is Urlacher's strength. So Fletcher has less than ideal height, but he had at least 12 passes defensed, has proved durable for 10 years, is an experienced, emotional, team player, very coachable, excels at pre snap reads, and rarely takes a false step. BB would adjust the defense to suit his strengths and hide his weaknesses. Bruschi is listed at 6'1'' but his actual height may even be a shade under 6'.
To go off what Pony said, in most defenses a middle/inside linebacker's first read is the guard. I imagine that read is even more important in the Pats' 3-4, since the guards are uncovered and frequently engage the inside linebackers. If the guards stand up and set its a pass and the linebacker has zone or man responsibility, if the guards pull somewhere the linebacker has to follow, and if the guard comes out to meet you you have to go up and give them a nice firm howdy.

London Fletcher's shortness gives him leverage against blockers and runners; he won't be able to keep guards and centers off him with armspan, but that's more important on the outside, in space, when you have contain responsibilities and have to stay off the blocks. Inside a linebacker's responsibilities fall in a much narrower area, and its infested with blockers, so its all about shooting into gaps, blowing up blockers, and closing holes, all of which a small plugger like Fletcher would be good for.

His small height and weight (242 lbs) also obviously means Fletcher has more muscle on him than most other linebackers; most weight comes from bone structure so Fletcher being 242 and Vrabel being 261 and half a foot taller means Fletcher is built. He's clearly no Monty Beisel lightweight (6'3", 240). He's actually a nice sized backer in this defense. BB speaks well of his instincts, intelligence and athleticism so I'd expect nothing but success if they brought him in.

And its not like Tedy Bruschi is much taller, is he?

If anything I'd be more concerned about Takeo Spikes playing for us. He seems to have lost the athleticism necessary for the outside slots with his ACL, and his height/weight combination (6'2", 242) is Monty Beisel-esqe, which means he might not be all that suited for the inside in our 3-4. He'd probably need to add about 10-15 lbs to be a useful linebacker for the Pats.

So, you never heard of Nick Buoniconti?

I do love that the market is linebacker rich this year. Going by this week's actions, we can consider our cap to be (very roughly) $18M more, since we just spent $7.79M on Asante. Obviously if a deal gets worked out, and we need to absorb big bonus money this year, the $18M decreases.

So, with that chunk of change, isn't it nice to have a good smattering of middle-class and "washout" guys to choose from, but still decent players? Plus, if we really want to go for the gold, there is a marquis name or two in the mix...

Gee, you don't think Bill Belichick would be happy with a shopping cart in this store? It reminds me of the kid in the "my music" supermarket, only instead of the hot chicks spraying down the lettuce, he'd be in the "linebacker" aisle just throwing different guys in the cart. No music, no nothin, just a big twisted mad scientist grin...

Right, okay, no reason to believe we'll spend all $18M (or even everything after signing picks and saving for a rainy day) on backers... but I think we get 2 LBs this way. Is it 3/2 yet????

PFnV

I'm for it although i dont really like Takeo a lot.

Also i'd only do it if the price is right. i dont want outrageous contracts just because we have the money too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots