PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Take your pick FA placekickers

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgssand

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Pick one, but the one I really want makes me sick to say it doesn't look like we will get.......

Aaron Elling RFA Ravens
Adam Vinatieri UFA Patriots
Joe Nedney UFA 49ers
Jose Cortez UFA Eagles
Josh Brown RFA Seahawks
Matt Bryant UFA Buccaneers
Mike Vanderjagt UFA Colts
Paul Edinger UFA Vikings
Ryan Longwell UFA Packers
Todd Peterson UFA Falcons

fgssand said:
Pick one, but the one I really want makes me sick to say it doesn't look like we will get.......

Aaron Elling RFA Ravens
Joe Nedney UFA 49ers
Jose Cortez UFA Eagles
Josh Brown RFA Seahawks
Paul Edinger UFA Vikings
Why would it be anyone other than AdamV??? Does not make sense...

fgssand said:

Aaron Elling RFA Ravens
Joe Nedney UFA 49ers
Jose Cortez UFA Eagles
Josh Brown RFA Seahawks
Paul Edinger UFA Vikings

I would rather take Longwell or Edinger for 2 million than Vinatieri for 3. Josh Brown is interesting. Do teams actually tender kickers?

Nedney will re-sign with the 49ers on March 3d, his contract is set-up that way I hear.

My first pick would be Josh Brown. Young kicker on the way up but getting him is highly unlikely. So my more realistic choice would be Ryan Longwell.

I heard an un-named 'expert' on the radio today state that AV is aware he can get a 3x4 or 4x4 from a couple of teams, that's $3/4mil/yr x 4years, way past the Pat's value window. He also said, and this was verified in print news, that AV and Pats are no longer even negoiating. In other words, AV is gone. Sad to hear that but it's the reality at this point.

Of the FA's on your list I'd take, in descending order -
Brown
Nedney
Longwell

Brown's probably not coming since he's an RFA and will be looking for big bucks. Nedney would be a good bridge to a younger kicker, I hope he doesn't have a deal with SF brewing......

Brady'sButtBoy said:
I heard an un-named 'expert' on the radio today state that AV is aware he can get a 3x4 or 4x4 from a couple of teams, that's $3/4mil/yr x 4years, way past the Pat's value window. He also said, and this was verified in print news, that AV and Pats are no longer even negoiating. In other words, AV is gone. Sad to hear that but it's the reality at this point.

Yes, having already made over $10M it is critically important to make another $14M vs another $10M.

That's a mighty hard line 'Pissah - would you, or anyone, really turn down an 'extra' $3-4 million? He's got three rings and is probably tired of being cold, like me and 3/4 of New England.

Your comment assumes a four year deal with the Pats but the word is the Pats have only offered a two year deal, so staying in NE could actually cost AV $7million or more......

Brady'sButtBoy said:
That's a mighty hard line 'Pissah - would you, or anyone, really turn down an 'extra' $3-4 million? He's got three rings and is probably tired of being cold, like me and 3/4 of New England.

Your comment assumes a four year deal with the Pats but the word is the Pats have only offered a two year deal, so staying in NE could actually cost AV $7million or more......

We can quibble about the numbers but were I to have already made ~$10M I could not care less about an extra $3-4M vs several $M from the Pats. Once my family is financially secure with a high income lifestyle, I don't want or need more. I'm fortunate enough to be in that position but with far less than Adam's already $10M or so.

Brady'sButtBoy said:

Where is this "word" coming from indicating Pats have offered only two years?

If AV has serious offers of 304MM over 3 or 4 years, why would we not give him one stinkin year at 3MM, just to see what gives in a year? Are the other teams repotedly interested (Colts, Skins, Cowboys) bonkers or must I go back and read the Patriots manefesto??

Will somebody that knows such things, attempt to place a value on endorsement and appearances money AV generates? Shouldn't that play into the advanatge of staying here?

Does AV realize he is a cult hero here and can ride this out for the next 30 years ala Gino Cappelletti??

Is it all about the short term money for AV or is this going to turn into one of those, they insulted me with a low ball or short year deal and I was forced to leave scenario?

Ryan Longwell......yeesh

My pick is Adam V. All those rumors don't mean anything to me.

He's our guy until I actually see him sign with somone else.

PATSNUTme said:
My pick is Adam V. All those rumors don't mean anything to me.

He's our guy until I actually see him sign with somone else.

A-MEN, PATSNUTme. :)

re:

3 to 4 million a year for 4 years, for a field goal kicker?

I mean, Vinatieri is the man, but any team that pays that is just crazy.

Brady'sButtBoy said:

he is from South Dakota...so Boston is hardly cold to him

dryheat44 said:
I would rather take Longwell or Edinger for 2 million than Vinatieri for 3. Josh Brown is interesting. Do teams actually tender kickers?

Longwell won't come near here for $2M. We'd have t pay him a premium since he prefers to finish his career indoors where he can kick longer. Edinger isn't worth $1M to us since he's lousy outside (54% for the Vikings 6 out of dome games and only topped 80% once while with da Bears). And his kickoffs are weak indoors or out - not even 1 touchback in the last 2 years. Josh Brown may not be tendered since he missed 2 SB kicks. He's very good in rain, not so good in snow - or apparently indoors.

fgssand said:
Will somebody that knows such things, attempt to place a value on endorsement and appearances money AV generates? Shouldn't that play into the advanatge of staying here?

Does AV realize he is a cult hero here and can ride this out for the next 30 years ala Gino Cappelletti??

Is it all about the short term money for AV or is this going to turn into one of those, they insulted me with a low ball or short year deal and I was forced to leave scenario?

Ryan Longwell......yeesh

Dale and Holley were discussing the perception that local sponsorship revenue is a big ticket item. They said it is not, and they would probably know. Deals with local car dealers and pizza franchises don't pay millions. And in some places like say Dallas there are similar opportunities over and above any contract salary.

I still think though that over the long haul a player who has reached icon level can supplement his income years after retirement either through endorsements, business connections or media gigs. Unfortunately agents usually downplay that income since likely they won't be the ones negotiating for it. That stuff is often done by a talent agent (I believe it was one of those who introduced two of his clients to each other (Tom and Bridget).

The union comes into play too, as Adam may be feeling the pressure via his agent to in fact raise the bar further for kickers.

I hear Flutie's been working out with John Smith during the offseason...:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey