PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Take THAT Boston Globe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just want to say that this Maine fan will be glued to the Patriots' game. Not to the Red Sox.

Let me take a wild, crazy, out-of-right-field guess: You're a "conservative" or "Republican."

Do you get double bonus stamps from the Limbaugh Club for every bash of the media you can come up with? Man, what a lack of imagination....

Well we can see that you are an idiot. :rolleyes:

You guys do realize that there is no Red Sox game this Sunday right? Why do so many people cry about the Red Sox on this board? It reeks of jealousy, if you don't like them don't talk about them. This is a Pats board, I can go to SOSH if I want to hear and talk about the Sox. Can people be fans of both, it seems to be sacrilege around here. :confused:

Just want to say that this Maine fan will be glued to the Patriots' game. Not to the Red Sox.

You guys do realize that there is no Red Sox game this Sunday right? Why do so many people cry about the Red Sox on this board? It reeks of jealousy, if you don't like them don't talk about them. This is a Pats board, I can go to SOSH if I want to hear and talk about the Sox. Can people be fans of both, it seems to be sacrilege around here. :confused:

Actually, the question on ESPN's SportsNation site was "What are you most interested in watching THIS WEEKEND?".

And yes, how the hometown media prioritizes the two teams DOES affect us. If you actually sat down and thought about it, you'd realize that the largest hometown newspaper automatically has the best access to the teams. You and I can't mosey on into Gillette and get info (if not from BB, then at least from Kraft, Pioli, etc).

When the largest hometown paper doesn't give a crap, we DO lose a potential source of information about the Patriots. For YEARS, the Globe (which HAS the money, power and depth to cover the team well if it wanted to) has abdicated that power so as to push it's own product - - the Red Sox on the masses - - even when there are independent polls out there clearly showing that there is as much, if not more, interest in the Patriots this weekend than the Red Sox.

Actually, the question on ESPN's SportsNation site was "What are you most interested in watching THIS WEEKEND?".

And yes, how the hometown media prioritizes the two teams DOES affect us. If you actually sat down and thought about it, you'd realize that the largest hometown newspaper automatically has the best access to the teams. You and I can't mosey on into Gillette and get info (if not from BB, then at least from Kraft, Pioli, etc).

When the largest hometown paper doesn't give a crap, we DO lose a potential source of information about the Patriots. For YEARS, the Globe (which HAS the money, power and depth to cover the team well if it wanted to) has abdicated that power so as to push it's own product - - the Red Sox on the masses - - even when there are independent polls out there clearly showing that there is as much, if not more, interest in the Patriots this weekend than the Red Sox.

Do you have a link to the poll?

Is it a scientific poll, or is it based on how people vote on the website?

Do you have a link to the poll?

Is it a scientific poll, or is it based on how people vote on the website?[/QUOTE

It was on the ESPN site yesterday, in the bottom right hand side where the SportsNation polls are. However, it's not there today.

I checked the "Archived" polls of SportsNation this morning and it says it last archived the polls on October 9th. So it looks as if it's not there now, but should be in the archived area very soon.

ESPN has a poll up right now:

"What Will You Be Most Interested In This Weekend?"

Red Sox vs. Indians 20%

D'Backs vs. Rockies 8%

Patriots vs. Cowboys 62%

Oklahoma vs. Missouri 7%

Total votes(currently): 37,801
I think this has more to do with the popularity of the NFL over MLB than anything else.

The Globe and much of the print media has failed to adapt to the times. Against their own best interests, the Globe has chosen to be antagonistic to the Pats franchise from day one. Let them lie in their bed.

Disclaimer: I can't stand to watch more than an inning of SLOOOOOOOW MLB

It was on the ESPN site yesterday, in the bottom right hand side where the SportsNation polls are. However, it's not there today.

I checked the "Archived" polls of SportsNation this morning and it says it last archived the polls on October 9th. So it looks as if it's not there now, but should be in the archived area very soon.

Ah, ok. If it's like their other polls, it's not drawn from a random sample of Mass. residents, and therefore doesn't provide evidence that Mass. residents in general would rather watch the Pats than the Sox this weekend.

Too bad. I was hoping the tide was turning toward the Pats around here...

Ah, ok. If it's like their other polls, it's not drawn from a random sample of Mass. residents, and therefore doesn't provide evidence that Mass. residents in general would rather watch the Pats than the Sox this weekend.

Too bad. I was hoping the tide was turning toward the Pats around here...

How about the FACT that head to head against the Sox-Yankees waning days of the playoff race the Patriots greatly out drew the Sox on the TV ratings?

How about the FACT that head to head against the Sox-Yankees waning days of the playoff race the Patriots greatly out drew the Sox on the TV ratings?

Wasn't that nationwide, not MA-only?

I sure as hell watched the Pats that day. A whole freakin' summer of Sox-mania was enough for me.

Let me take a wild, crazy, out-of-right-field guess: You're a "conservative" or "Republican."

Do you get double bonus stamps from the Limbaugh Club for every bash of the media you can come up with? Man, what a lack of imagination....

I'm sure Dan Rather is delighted that there are such mouth-breathers around who still defend the him at every turn (fake but true!). I guess you were under a rock for the last six weeks while the media savaged our coach and team.

For someone who is obviously a "liberal" or "Democrat", I'll spell out the point of his argument in terms even you should be able to understand: An "evil corporation" (are there any other type ?), in this case the NY Times Group, which owns the Boston Globe, also owns part of the Red Sox, which also includes NESN. Anybody with eyes and a brain can see that the Globe coverage is ridiculously slanted towards the Red Sox. This not only raises the value of the Red Sox franchise directly, but in turn drives people to their other entertainment outlets, raising their value also. So much for integrity in the media.

I also guess you missed the post where a Globe writer wrote an inflammatory article about Asante Samuel's tattoo, which now appears to be fabricated. Waiting for the correction ...... waiting ..... waiting .....

R

Gee, another angry/political rant from njpatsfan. Didn't see that one coming...

@PatsWickedPissah: I looked it up, and it does look like that was for Greater Boston. I'm not really sure head-to-head ratings are a good measure of overall "popularity" (whatever that means), but it's a lot better than the Pats actually LOSING to the Sox in the ratings.

Personally, I think a lot more "news" happens in baseball in general, so there's more to write about in general. Hell, at the very least, you can write a game recap almost every day.

Too bad they don't realize that the definition of "Red Sox" is "What we watch between football games."

No. It was for the Greater Boston area. Patriots beat the Red Sox, 28.5 to 19.9.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/09/18/patriots_were_viewers_choice/

As the ESPN.com poll, they collect voters' IP addresses and sort the votes out by state. Hence the result, 55% of Massachusetts sports fans are more interested in the Pats-Cowboys regular season game, compared to 42% for the ALCS.

That doesn't make it a "valid" reflection of MA residents in general, though. It's essentially why the RNC & DNC don't post "Who will you vote for in the next election?" polls on their websites and use that for polling data. It's not a random sample.

Gee, another angry/political rant from njpatsfan. Didn't see that one coming...

Angry ? I'm the happiest guy I know. :D If you find what I write angry, then I think it reflects more on your state of mind than mine. I certainly ridiculed the poster that attacked shmessy, and justifiably so .... oftentimes ridicule is an effective teaching tool. It's better than just calling him an idiot.

There is so much hilarity, often unintentional, on this board ... whether it be the "Dave Thomas is better than Watson thread" .... or the "Jets did it too !" threads. Cmon, you have to find it ironic that you are attacking *me* for defending *shmessy* from a poster who accuses him of the unforgivable "crime" of being a conservative.

I mean, you just can't make this stuff up. Unless you work for the Boston Globe of course.

R

Why is politics being brought into this? If you dare to look at the poitical forum you will see that Patriots fans are far right, far left, and in the middle (not so much) politically.

I have always resented poeple bringing political pollution into football. We get enough politics every place else, let's keep politics out of here.

The point is that the two biggest outlets,the Globe in print and WEEI in radio, devote much more time to the Red Sox than they do the Patriots. The great imbalance of coverage is what drives us Patiots fans crazy, not hatred of the Red Sox.

Why is politics being brought into this? If you dare to look at the poitical forum you will see that Patriots fans are far right, far left, and in the middle (not so much) politically.

In general, when you talk about media bias, it would be hard to keep politics out. It doesn't help when the leading detractor of the Pats, Gregg Easterbrook, is an editor at a very left wing political publication. But in this case, the story is about how one media outlet with a financial interest in who is covered is slanting its coverage to it's monetary benefit. It isn't inherently political, other than the fact that the media corporation involved is the darling of one political wing, and that political wing isn't too tolerant of any criticism of it.

It is obvious to us as Patriots fans that the Globe/NYTimes/NESN give the Pats the shaft, to their own monetary benefit. It's been difficult if not impossible to find any fair treatment of the team in this situation from the Globe. Therefore they deserve the scorn they are getting here. Regardless of politics.

R

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back