PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tackling

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
A hallmark of the Patriots has been consistent tackling. The last couple of seasons there has been a increase in missed tackles, either complete whiffs or shoulder hits that players bounce off of. We cannot give playoff teams 2nd and 3rd chances.

Is this just a fluke, will it improve in the play-offs?

A hallmark of the Patriots has been consistent tackling. The last couple of seasons there has been a increase in missed tackles, either complete whiffs or shoulder hits that players bounce off of. We cannot give playoff teams 2nd and 3rd chances.

Is this just a fluke, will it improve in the play-offs?

It's a mindset. Without Harrison, you tell me.

If you are talking about the VY TD run, that is just his game. He made a good play to avoid Big Sey and then he did a great job of setting up his blockers.

I will say that I think Tedy's tackling has dropped this year. He seems to miss at least one tackle that he has dead to rights per game. And RBs (most notably MJD in recent games) have been able to push their way through him for a few more yards

The secondary has improved greatly since the beginning of the year and I haven't seen that many missed tackles by anyone on the DL lately.

We have a huge problem with 'hitting' players and not 'tackling' them in the open field. Take Crotchery's fluke play in Week 2. Sure, he never hit the ground and fell on a player, but he was free to get his footing and score because NOBODY WRAPPED HIM UP.

Bennett's catch in the Titans' first drive is another example. Samuel(?) actually had good position to tackle, but Rodney dove in for a hit that took Asante out of the play, so Bennett has daylight ahead and 2 Pats defenders on the ground.

This is my biggest concern against the Jets - they have guys that will make you pay in the open field for poor tackling. Hopefully we get our act together for Sunday.

While Asante is obviously a good corner, this is one of his problems. He often tries to do the highlight reel tackles and fails to wrap up, resulting in missed tackles. He also seems to go for picks instead of just breaking up a pass, which can also give up big plays. Not to pick just on him, but he's the one I've observed doing it the most.

Personally, I think tackling is a league wide problem. I see it as the "Jacked Up" effect. Much like what Sportcenter did to kill the NBA with all the players trying to get on the highlight package rather than actually play good team basketball, I think the ESPN "Jacked Up" segment (and similiar highlight shows) has gotten a lot of players looking to make that big slamming hit than just wrapping up the guy with the ball. I hope it doesn't hurt the game anywhere like it did in the NBA.

Guys like Harrison have always laid wood on players. But the difference between him and other players is he picks and chooses his hits. You will see him making great plays though by wrapping up guys or tripping them up.

While Asante is obviously a good corner, this is one of his problems. He often tries to do the highlight reel tackles and fails to wrap up, resulting in missed tackles. He also seems to go for picks instead of just breaking up a pass, which can also give up big plays. Not to pick just on him, but he's the one I've observed doing it the most.

I agree .. especially against QB's like Noodle Arm ... they want you to lunge for the ball for the YACS. If we can restrict the YACS they are toast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back