Welcome to PatsFans.com

Taboo topics

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Turd Furguson, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Why is it that some topics seemingly are totally taboo and any and all discussion/debate is stifled immediately whilst others are fair game and fodder lets fly?

Examples?

Race (especially black topics)

Religion (but only Muslims)

Any other topic is pretty much beaten into the ground and even generalizations and/or stereotypes are thrown around with little or no backlash.

Yet the above 2 topics CANNOT be talked about for more than 2 seconds before the racist accusations are bandied about.

Why cant we have an open, honest discussion about any topic and our opinions that go along with it without being branded?

Is that too much to ask?
  2. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

People are opportunists here, we're all trying to score points off each other and make ourselves feel smart. People don't even believe half the stuff they say about each other, it's just like a schoolyard argument.
  3. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Good point.

Is this the part where I give you an indian sunburn or a noogie?
  4. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I came from a wedgie town.
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

We can certainly discuss poverty among blacks, creationism, the Muslim religion, etc., so what are you talking about? Can you provide examples? The only rule is that you can't make sweeping generalizations about a group of people. It's the same as a personal attack. Even there, we more often than not look the other way.
  6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

ONE MORE THING HERE, HOW COME NEM GETS ALL THE ATTENTION.
    [​IMG]
    I DEMAND EQUAL TIME AND AFFECTION LIKE NEM GETS.
  7. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Libertarians, including myself, aren't above the fray either.
  8. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

9. Seymour93

Seymour93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

So you don't like black Muslims?
  10. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

FBN..I dont quite get the point of your post.

But Ok...the shark will bite. But first you must feed him a big bloody horse leg.
    wtf are you talking about? I don't discriminate...I really hate everyone.

Ever watch Carlos Mencia?
  11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -9

I can't say anything on this subect, if I do comment I'll get the thread locked.
    :singing: :bricks: :singing:
  12. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

Horse leg??? Horse heads under silk sheets :p
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  13. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Only poverty among blacks?

The Muslim religion?

Are we not free to criticize when we see wrong doing?

We criticize and generalize EVERYONE else i.e the military, conservatives, christians, liberals, democrats, whites, southerners, Israelis etc.....

Thats what I meant by taboo topics. It seems like there must be NO criticism at all of Hispanics, Blacks, Muslims and Gays.

Am I off base or does anyone else get that feeling too?

BTW: Its not like I'm sitting here chomping at the bit to get some ramblings out about those groups, I just dont like to censor myself in regards to topics and how I go about posting on them.
  14. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

I was citing some examples; I gather you don't know what "etc." means. Look it up.

Show me evidence of that. This is a political forum, and obviously because of that people may make blanket statements about the Repug or Dem Party or even about its members. But, show us examples to support your claims that we have a double standard. I honestly do not think you can find any. And, if you think I am handling things unfairly, contact FreeTedWilliams. He's every bit as conservative as I am liberal.
  15. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -9

If a public figure wants to completely destroy his career, his life, and his cats life all he has to do is "OFFEND" a black, a homosexual, a Jewish person and now the new one, "the muslim".

All others are fair game.

Politically Correct Looney Bullsh!t.

Listen to "Rap Crap" if you really want ot hear som offensive sh!t.

I don't like my family being called "White Mother F-ckers" but there isn't much that can be done about it.

All that politically crap does is draw people further apart, many people now say "the hell with them, I won't have anything at all to do with them".
  16. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the smug reply.

by etc, I had assumed you meant poverty among blacks, oppression among blacks, racism among blacks ETC...

Considering that you're either a victimologist or an apologist, thats all I can expect out of you.
  17. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Still waiting for examples of your various claims, Turd. When have we treated anti-Muslim threads different than anti-Christian threads, for instance? When have we failed to crack down on prejudice directed against white people? I think you're making up this stuff. In fact, I'm almost sure of it. But, why? What's your problem? I think you had nothing thoughtful to post, so you decided to complain. Remember, if you think something is unfair here, you can send a PM to FTW. His conservative credentials are second to none on this site. (You're welcome, FTW!)
  18. pats-blue

pats-blue Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

You did close HB's France thread because he said they were pandering to the "minorities". Since the "minorities" in question are predominantly African Muslims you made that leap and closed the thread. I have seen threads here that are OBVIOUS Anti-Semetic that are allowed no holds barred even using the word "Jewery" ....please. I think PC is out of control but Turd is right there is a distinct bias. Not saying Turd has the greatest "credentials" but your smugness is also pretty much "second to none" also. For a moderator it isn't the greatest quality. You talk down to people in this forum frequently which is the classic Internet superiority complex.
  19. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Try reading the thread:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=43871

You might be against closing threads like those, but we have rules that are to protect Patsfans.Com and preserve the political forum. Some people are very offended by prejudice. Maybe you're not.

It's possible FTW or I miss a thread occasionally. I'm sure there days when neither of us even log on. But, my "smug answer" was in response to Turd's unsubstantiated accusations. If you can, point me to an anti-semitic thread. Considering I'm Jewish (though atheist), I would certainly want to know about anti-semiticism on this board. As far as the word Jewry goes, it's a complete legitimate word. What did you think it meant?

Actually, most moderators don't communicate at all. They just take action. I probably shouldn't communicate as much as I do, but I'm always attracted to a battle of ideas. Turd and you have not offered evidence of your comments. If you can, I'll respect that. I know I once wrongly accused QuiGon, and once was slow to close a thread that Christian fundamentalists found demeaning, but I did apologize both times. If you review the moderators' (both FTW and I) actions, you'd find, (1) we rarely get involved and (2) both of us have issued a fairly even number of warnings to conservatives and liberals.
  20. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Since Turd has been free to pursue his thoughtful and brilliantly crafted Anti-Christian posts, i think it would be fair to let him rip apart Blacks and Muslims too. He shouldnt have to hesitate before degrading whoever he likes.