PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

T.J. Moe thread

facepalm.png

I'll say it. TJ MOE makes the 53 man roster. He is a legit talent. True he does not have the straight line speed but he is 5-11 204lbs. He had the best 3 cone time at the combine of all WR's. He's also very strong. Again, led all Wr's at the combine in the bench. Finally, he led all WR's at the combine in the 20 and 60 yard shuttle. But he is not just a workout warrior. As someone already mentioned, when Blaine Gabbert was his QB as a sophomore, he had 92/1045/6. He is a player. He makes the 53!

Nick Underhill ‏@Nick_Underhill 23s
Asked @TJMoe28 about growing up a Rams fan and the Super Bowl against the Pats. “I don’t want to talk abut that.”

:itsok: :lol2:

I just can't imagine a receiving corps of Amendola, Dobson, Boyce, Moe and Slater. Three rookies, a special-teamer and an injury-prone slot receiver. If that's the case, we may still need to call up Lloyd.

Let's just revisit the whole "the Patriots system is impossible to learn and new wideouts have no shot at playing well in it" thing. First, let's consider players who thrived instantaneously: Moss, Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, Woodhead, Edelman, Branch (twice), Gaffney, Ridley. Good players, and probably good players anywhere.

Now, look at those who failed in this system and tell me what system they have since gone on to thrive in? Bethel Johnson, Chad Jackson, Taylor Price, Brandon Tate, Ochocinco, Galloway, Doug Gabriel, Reche Caldwell. For some reason, we take their lack of production to indicate that the offense is difficult to learn, when in reality, those players, at the given stage they were in during their career, flat-out sucked.

Those eight guys inform the assumptions we make about our offense and its complexity. But, consider:

These EIGHT players, since leaving the Patriots have...

been off our roster a combined total of 31 years
and of those only managed to land on NFL rosters a combined 7 years
and in that time made only 51 receptions

Those players sucked. Really, really sucked. We cannot continue to use them as barometers for other players whose ability we have not learned as of yet. It remains to be seen whether Dobson & Boyce are good football players. But whether or not they succeed in the Patriots offense will be determined purely by their ability, and not related to the complexity of this offense.

Good players play well here. Bad players don't. Just like everywhere else. If anything, unlike other places, Brady has milked guys for more than what they should've been worth.

And I will say it. There is exactly ZERO chance that the patriots have 3 rookie WR's on the roster.

I'll say it. TJ MOE makes the 53 man roster. He is a legit talent. True he does not have the straight line speed but he is 5-11 204lbs. He had the best 3 cone time at the combine of all WR's. He's also very strong. Again, led all Wr's at the combine in the bench. Finally, he led all WR's at the combine in the 20 and 60 yard shuttle. But he is not just a workout warrior. As someone already mentioned, when Blaine Gabbert was his QB as a sophomore, he had 92/1045/6. He is a player. He makes the 53!

year zero...there are going to be 4 :)

Let's just revisit the whole "the Patriots system is impossible to learn and new wideouts have no shot at playing well in it" thing. First, let's consider players who thrived instantaneously: Moss, Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, Woodhead, Edelman, Branch (twice), Gaffney, Ridley. Good players, and probably good players anywhere.

Now, look at those who failed in this system and tell me what system they have since gone on to thrive in? Bethel Johnson, Chad Jackson, Taylor Price, Brandon Tate, Ochocinco, Galloway, Doug Gabriel, Reche Caldwell. For some reason, we take their lack of production to indicate that the offense is difficult to learn, when in reality, those players, at the given stage they were in during their career, flat-out sucked.

Those eight guys inform the assumptions we make about our offense and its complexity. But, consider:

These EIGHT players, since leaving the Patriots have...

been off our roster a combined total of 31 years
and of those only managed to land on NFL rosters a combined 7 years
and in that time made only 51 receptions

Those players sucked. Really, really sucked. We cannot continue to use them as barometers for other players whose ability we have not learned as of yet. It remains to be seen whether Dobson & Boyce are good football players. But whether or not they succeed in the Patriots offense will be determined purely by their ability, and not related to the complexity of this offense.

Good players play well here. Bad players don't. Just like everywhere else. If anything, unlike other places, Brady has milked guys for more than what they should've been worth.
Good post. I have long thought that this whole myth about the "complexity of the Pats offense" was overblown. Ocho and Galoway were both excellent WR's who caught over 11,000 yds in receptions each. These guys were accomplished WR's Their failures in NE were more a factor of their diminishing lack of talent, than the Pats offense. Granted in both cases the Pats particular system was a factor, just not the ONLY factor.,

I love the TJ Moe pick up. The Pats system really is more about quickness and separation than flat out speed Moe possess more than enough to become a successful slot receiver in the league. The downside is that there are simply too many people who can play his position on the team. Sadly I see Moe doing well in TC, and being signed to the PS, but I doubt very much he'll last the entire year and will likely wind up on someone else's roster before the year's out.

His best chance of having a long career with the Pats is if a couple of WR's get hurt and an opening on the roster emerges, or if HE comes down with the IR flu, and gets a shot next year when the position is more open

I agree. However, I would note that few rookies recover from the IR flu enough to me major contributors.

His best chance of having a long career with the Pats is if a couple of WR's get hurt and an opening on the roster emerges, or if HE comes down with the IR flu, and gets a shot next year when the position is more open

Love Moe's passion, and good hands, but he has virtually NO shiftyness in the return game or YAC. I don't think he makes it. Very productive in college and hope he makes it, but we have Amendola and Edelman, and even Boyce has played the slot. How many slot receivers do we need ? With Ebert, at least he offered something Moe doesn't have, great pure speed. That being said, I think best case scenario for Moe, he winds up on our practice squad.

I like Kenbrell's chances better since he is a 6'1 outside WR.

TJ Moe is tricky if he lights it up in camp/preseason. Do you risk sneaking him on the PS, or cut the swiss army knife/best PR in the league in Edelman? We are NOT carrying three slot WRs.....

OTOH, Kenbrell's competition is much easier. Jones, Jenkins, Holmes, Aiken. Its not out of the question that he could be victorious from that group.

Why wasn't he drafted then?

Why wasnt BJGE drafted?

Bolden is as good as Ridley and he wasnt drafted either. Arian Foster and Victor Cruz werent drafted. Troy Brown was a 7th round pick.

TJ Moe is tricky if he lights it up in camp/preseason. Do you risk sneaking him on the PS, or cut the swiss army knife/best PR in the league in Edelman? We are NOT carrying three slot WRs.....

In those 2 games where he lit it up last season Edelman showed he can play outside and Amendola isn't exclusively a slot receiver either.

This is Edelman's job to lose.

Doesn't look good for Moe. His best realistic shot is Edelman plays well this year and gets a gig elsewhere, elevating him from IR/PS next year to be Amendola's backup.

Or Amendola goes down, Edelman takes his spot and Moe comes up from IR.

Danny Almendola has to make it through training camp first.

He has only started a grand total of 17 games and made it through one 16 game season.

Nonsense!

Bolden may or may not get a job this year as an inactive backup who plays only if Ridley is injured.

Bolden is as good as Ridley and he wasnt drafted either.

No one knows anything. We speculate and analyze. If you wish to believe that Belichick would have Brady throwing to three rookies, you are certaiinly free to have that opinion.

Nobody knows including you.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back