PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

T Holt or Orlando Pace for a 3rd round pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe a 4th.. nothing more.. Draft is too deep this year especially to be dealing away first three rounds for a 2 year lease..

our 3rd will be of less value, as I too think they'll get a 3 for losing Samuel.

Given how often they trade 3s, I find that a nearly irrelevant consideration.

You cannot blame Tory Holt at all for his less productive past season because A) their once good offensive line has been deteriorating the last couple years due to injuries and age B) which dramatically effects the QB and RB positions. With that said I'm sure everyone would love Holt here in NE for 3rd which we might have two but the fact is he takes up way more cap space than current free agent Gaffney who lets not forgot has come up with some big catches for us. This is Holts cap hit per rotoworld.com, "7/18/2003: Signed a seven-year, $42 million contract. The deal included an $11.5 million signing bonus. 2009: $6.65 million, 2010: Free Agent. Cap charge: $10.205 million (2009)." The only way he comes to NE is if he is willing to restructure his contract severely. Bottom line hes great value for the 3rd round pick but we are currently in the process of rebuilding our defense.

Maybe a 4th.. nothing more.. Draft is too deep this year especially to be dealing away first three rounds for a 2 year lease..

Please tell me you people are joking. Torry Holt for a 3rd - you do that in a heartbeat. Good Lord, people, come on. (Or am I missing sarcasm?)

I would like a 3rd for Holt, could end up really boosting our offense if he worked out

I wouldn't mind getting a dominant LT with Brady coming off an injury. As much as we're adequate at most line positions, there's way too many times a rusher comes in almost untouched from the blind side as far as I'm concerned.

I would like Torry Holt for a third round pick, but we would need to downgrade our expectations. He would act more like a Troy Brown type third receiver as opposed to a Wes Welker type. He still has great hands, but has lost a step so the yards after catch will be lacking.

Last edited:
At his age, with his injury history and contract, Orlando Pace for a 3rd is a bad deal.

Holt might bring the Rams a 3rd from a team with WR issues. It is too high a price to pay for a 33 year old 3rd WR which is what he would be in NE.

Holts cap hit per rotoworld.com, "7/18/2003: Signed a seven-year, $42 million contract. The deal included an $11.5 million signing bonus. 2009: $6.65 million, 2010: Free Agent. Cap charge: $10.205 million (2009)." The only way he comes to NE is if he is willing to restructure his contract severely. Bottom line hes great value for the 3rd round pick but we are currently in the process of rebuilding our defense.

He would be great value for a 3rd, but his current salary would never work out here..

3rd rounder and pay him? I think people have magnified the living crap out of Gaffney's drop against the Colts. It's tough to get a guy at his skill level to play the positions he does. That drop aside he had a good year. No one is regularly wanting to dump Moss for game changing drops...

The Rams are looking to trade T Holt or Orlando Pace & they are asking for
a 3rd round pick.

They are not the players they use to be, but I would take either of them (for our 3rd) if they would take a cut in pay.

Torry Holt

Na, no way. They would tie up too much money that we will need to sign the glut of Draft Picks that we could potentially get this year and any high profile Free Agent(s).

Good players that are about tho have the game pass them by, not interested.

Now conversely, I watched the Pro-Bowl yesterday (I know, I know) and I was completely impressed with Tony Gonzales, so if we can work a deal for him I'm all about it - he was amazing. I admit I was against him in the past, but I think he can put together 2 good years and for that he's worth a shot.

I'm really okay with Gaff as our #3.... and I love the dude's toughness and run blocking... but Holt for a 4th would be pretty tough to pass up. A 3rd... I'd rather spend on defense.

Orlando Pace? No thank you.

Now conversely, I watched the Pro-Bowl yesterday (I know, I know) and I was completely impressed with Tony Gonzales, so if we can work a deal for him I'm all about it - he was amazing. I admit I was against him in the past, but I think he can put together 2 good years and for that he's worth a shot.
He was a beast, and really doesn't look to be slowing down as much as I thought he would.

Last edited:
You'd have to be ******ed NOT to trade a 3rd for Torry Holt. That's absurd, this story can't be true.

+1. Brady, Moss, Welker, and Holt would be a truly sick combination. The way Holt runs his routes seems ideally suited for the Pats offense.

Did you see the interview of him? He basically said he had two good years of ball left and he wanted to play for a team that had a shot in the playoffs.

+1. Brady, Moss, Welker, and Holt would be a truly sick combination. The way Holt runs his routes seems ideally suited for the Pats offense.

Holt's 32, let's say he has 3-4 good years left. I don't see how that's a bad move. When you draft a player, you have no idea if they'll be here in 4 or 5 years. You can't plan the team one year at a time, but you also can't play ahead more than 5 years in this league, especially if you are a successful team whose players will be overvalued the instant they hit free agency. I'm all for youth, but a 3rd rounder for a guy like Holt sounds a fair deal to me. Not that I think it'll happen for us.

Last edited:
So you guys want Moss, Welker, Holt, Gonzalez and Johnson? That's ONE guy under 30.

So you guys want Moss, Welker, Holt, Gonzalez and Johnson? That's ONE guy under 30.

Well don't put me down for Gonzalez or Johnson. Holt, maybe.

Youth is not going to be an issue with this team. We've already added a ton of youth, not just through a strong draft in 08, but a strong group of UDFAs, and are going to add a lot more in two months. Come April, we'll probably have as much youth in the mix as any team, if not more.

I'd rather see the pick used to draft a guy that will be here for the next 5+ years.

Well don't put me down for Gonzalez or Johnson. Holt, maybe.
Ditto. While I still think Gonzalez is still a beast, I don't think he fits here long term... and I have ZERO interest in Johnson. Holt, maybe for the right price.

another great thread on patsfans.com forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back