Welcome to PatsFans.com

Syria 'Fires on Israeli Warplanes' After They Enter Syrian Airspace

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by maverick4, Sep 6, 2007.

1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

"Syria has said its air defences opened fire on Israeli warplanes after they violated its airspace in the north of the country. Syrian officials said the defences forced the jets to drop ammunition over deserted areas and turn back, according to the official news agency, Sana. Israel's military said it would not comment on the reports.

A Syrian military spokesman said the Israeli warplanes had flown into Syrian airspace at around 0100 local time on Thursday morning, Sana reported. "The Israeli enemy aircraft infiltrated into the Arab Syrian territory through the northern border, coming from the Mediterranean heading toward the eastern region, breaking the sound barrier," he said. They were then engaged by Syrian air defence forces in the Tall al-Abyad, an area 160km (100 miles) north of Raqqa and near the border with Turkey, witnesses said. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6981674.stm

"Israel in fact does not want peace. It cannot survive without aggression, treachery and military messages," Syrian Information Minister Mohsen Bilal said Thursday, a day after IAF aircraft allegedly violated Syrian airspace in an overnight operation.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1188392553869&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  2. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Re: Syria 'fires on Israel warplanes'

There is a lot of messed up stuff going on recently in the Middle East, with talks of an impending US attack on Iran, a mystery speculator placing a 4.5 billion dollar bet that there will be a market crash, the arrests of 3 terrorists in Germany, and finally the fact that we all know Israel REALLY wants us to take out Iran's nuclear facilities (and will do something themselves if we don't do anything).

3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +531 / 6 / -2

UK jets shadow Russian bombers

Last Updated: Thursday, 6 September 2007, 16:03 GMT 17:03 UK

Norway says Russia has increased military flights in the Arctic

The UK's Royal Air Force has launched fighter jets to intercept eight Russian military planes flying in airspace patrolled by Nato, UK officials say.
    Four RAF F3 Tornado aircraft were scrambled in response to the Russian action, the UK's defence ministry said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6981541.stm

4. Snake

Snake Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Do you think the US should get aggressive with Iran? Should Israel make some sort of concerted effort against Iran? How to you think the US should position itself should Israel get aggressive with Iran?

5. Real World

Ratings:
    +531 / 6 / -2

The US is telling Israel to fly into Syria and get shot at.

6. Snake

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Show me your proof. I seriously doubt the US is telling Israel much of anything in terms of committing the IDF to any conflict.

7. Real World

Ratings:
    +531 / 6 / -2

I was just kidding. maverick4 probably thinks that though. Afterall, the US sent those 15 British sailors into Iranian waters on purpose, so they'd get kidnapped and we could invade Iran. :D

8. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Wrong. I think the US right now is hesitant to attack Iran, as cooler heads are prevailing over a few wackjobs like Cheney and a few others. But...

Israel, faced with the prospect of sitting by itself, is getting antsy; from their perspective it is somewhat understandable since they are very paranoid about Iran (and the entire Middle East for that matter).

Israel is basically taking matters into their own hands and almost forcing us to join them once they start some aggression.

9. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Yeah, they told them to go through Customs like all the other tourists. :D

10. Real World

Ratings:
    +531 / 6 / -2

Whatever. How much time do you spend thinking about this stuff? You're hell bent on war man.

11. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

What!??? If you've read my body of posts, you'd know I am extremely against the invasion of Iraq, for isolationism and neutrality, completely against the idea of pre-emptive warfare...

If anything, the last 7 years has made me extremely cynical to world events and government. Leaders of any government cannot be trusted for what they tell the masses, you need to figure out what their agendas are.

I dare you to read the 'Clean Break Report', and try to explain how we aren't following it almost to a T.

12. Real World

Ratings:
    +531 / 6 / -2

All you talk about is how we're going to attack somebody, and you post it in a fashion that suggests you really want it to happen.

13. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Look, RW, I actually respect your perspective on this site and your posts here, I don't want to get into a childlike pissing match that guys like Quigon get into.

Of course I don't want war. I am a traditional Republican, completely against what the party stands for now, I hate neocons with a passion, and the more I read about Iraq, how we got into places like Vietnam, and various papers like 'Clean Break' or even 'Operation Northwood', I basically have no faith left in this country's leadership. I think we're all just sheep now, manipulated into wars whose real reasons we don't even know.

I know it comes off as extremely cynical, and that I am constantly trying to read between the lines, but don't you get the feeling like there are only a few people trying their damndest to get us into war, while the rest of us don't really want it? Read some papers, or watch a PBS or other documentary about the systematic way our government deceived us into Iraq. It was a methodically planned campaign, deliberately deceitful, in order to spill blood in Iraq. These same wackjobs are still in power, and it doesn't sound like they want to stop at Iraq.

14. Snake

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Why do you contend this? Analysis?

Israel has never asked anyone to join them when it comes to Israeli problem solving. The only time the US has actively taken a part in Israeli affairs is when the US supplied Patriot missles when Iraq was launching SCUDs in the Gulf War. That and supplying some support at the UN.

15. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Are you joking? We just injected another tens of billions of dollars in aid to Israel. Our entire involvement in Iraq right now, and our motivations for Iran, are Israeli driven. We are acting against America's best interests, our foreign policy in the Middle East is not for America.

Here, read the Clean Break Report, written for the Israeli PM back in the 1990's. Recent events like Iraq invasion, Lebanon fighting, Iran, Syria, etc are as if our government is following this plan to a T:
    http://www.iasps.org/strat1.htm
    http://zfacts.com/p/139.html

Pay attention to the names of the authors, and compare that with the names of American leadership that is now calling the shots in our government.

16. Snake

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Most of the aid we "inject" into Israel comes back to this country in the form of airplanes, parts, and other weapons orders. Essentially the government through its aid to Israel subsidizes many American defense industry jobs. It has worked out to be a relationship beneficial to both countries. We give Egypt just about the same amount of aid. What do the Egyptians do for us?

It's a real stretch to say Israel is driving our Iraq policy.

17. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

You should read the paper by Stephen Walt, Harvard's Law School Dean, written last year. He would completely disagree with you.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=14154082

Not too surprisingly, he is getting KILLED by the press, even though he's not even attacking Jews, but the Israeli Lobby. Question: Do Jews see themselves separate from Zionists, or are attacks on Zionists considered hating on all Jews?

18. Snake

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, let's say the sources you have provided all engendre a specific agenda.

The Israeli lobby is Jews.

19. Real World

Ratings:
    +531 / 6 / -2

Egypt's ecomony is supported by American money.

BTW, I love your signature Snake. ;)

20. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Not true, it is Jews and Gentlies who share the aim of benefitting Israel (even at detriment to America). How is it hating on Jews to point out the immense power of AIPAC, a committee made up of non-Jews as well? I just created a new thread for you to read, from the NY Times about Walt's paper.