Welcome to PatsFans.com

Swiss Clinic Plans Assisted Suicide of Healthy English Woman

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DisgruntledTunaFan, Apr 3, 2009.

1. DisgruntledTunaFan

DisgruntledTunaFan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

FOXNews.com - Swiss Clinic Plans Assisted Suicide of Healthy English Woman - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

The founder of the Swiss assisted-suicide clinic Dignitas revealed plans Thursday to help a healthy wife die alongside her terminally ill husband.

Ludwig Minelli described suicide as a “marvellous opportunity” that should not be restricted to the terminally ill or people with severe disabilities.

The Dignitas clinic, based in a Zurich apartment, claims to have already assisted in the suicides of more than 100 British people.

Minelli said that anyone who has “mental capacity” should be allowed to have an assisted suicide, claiming that it would save money for the National Health Service.

He said that he expected to go to the Swiss courts to seek a ruling in the controversial case of a Canadian couple who have asked to die together.

“The husband is ill, his partner is not ill but she told us here in my living room that, ’If my husband goes, I would go at the same time with him’,” he said.

Minelli, a human rights lawyer, tells The Report on BBC Radio 4 Thursday that the British had an “obsession” with the requirement to be terminally ill.

“It is not a condition to have a terminal illness,” he said. “Terminal illness is a British obsession. As a human rights lawyer I am opposed to the idea of paternalism. We do not make decisions for other people.

“We should have a nicer attitude to suicide, saying suicide is a very good possibility to escape."

2. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You know this was bound to happen. First the precedent is set to allow "assisted suicide" (used to be called "murder" before we got to 1984), then the rules begin to "loosen up" as to who is allowed to opt for self-destruction. First, you start with people terminally ill, then you go to people terminally depressed, then you go to anyone who's had a bad hair day. Maybe it'll replace Tupper Ware parties!!

Sick, sick, sick. You know the world has reached its moral boundary when this kind of stuff happens. When there is love, there is life. When people stop loving they do want to die. The answer is not more "flexibility" on "assisting" death (aka, "murder"); the answer is giving more love. God's love is boundless, has no limit. Everyone needs to find out how to tap into that love to find the beauty of life. Without God's love people already start to die.

Switzerland needs to wake up and remember her religious heritage, not forget it under the temporal quest for material gain.

//

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +808 / 2 / -9

Police Kill Man
    Trying To Commit Suicide

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +653 / 7 / -2

If someone wants to end their life, they should be allowed to.

5. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +375 / 46 / -7

#75 Jersey

Go right ahead and kill yourself, I've never understood the fasicination with thwarting this. I think that they spent millions of dollars on prosecutining Kevorkian, when they should be just let him be. This, for a least another month or two, is still a free country, and if you want to kill yourself, you should be able to, just make sure that you do not do it, by jumping in front om MY COMMUTER train, which happend 3 times back in NYC.

6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I agree. Many of those who will pray and demonstrate to keep this from happening are the same ones who ignore people who have their lives ended involuntarily.

7. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +107 / 9 / -14

#37 Jersey

This doesn't need to be done in a clinic. Just do it yourself. Pills, Gun, tailpipe mask.

I just think those who do it with young kids are cowards.

8. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You guys need to see "What Dreams May Come". Yeah, Robin Williams is in it, but it's not a comedy. Only God has the right to say when.

//

9. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

It's a movie...it's not real....:cool:

10. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +46 / 12 / -2

and neither is god.

Fogic dictates that you should live your life according to Robin Williams movies and fairy tales though.

11. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Yup. No harm no foul. That said, I'd also like to try and get the people some help first. There are a lot of ethical problems with institutionalizing it. For example, companies profit from our prisons so there is a vested interest in actually creating more prisoners. Clearly unethical, but institutional.

12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +342 / 12 / -11

I think there are some areas where you really can't have a perfect law, but I think assisted suicide should be illegal. The possibility of abuse is too high, especially given the various emotional issues involved. There are plenty of unethical motives to encourage suicide and in this case the poor woman may only be distraught about losing her husband. She may not be thinking straight, or she may suffer from a clinical and treatable form of depression. I think assisted suicide should be illegal, but the judge should have a lot of latitude in sentencing because there are clearly cases where assisted suicide is a humane thing.

13. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The possibility of abuse is extremely high. That said, I think this is a real slippery slope and not a good enough reason to not establish a reasonable practice. I mean, we see abuse in any number of areas: health care, prisons, the police, the fire department, our homes, drinking, driving, cell phones, unsafe materials, trading of stocks and so on. But we don't forbid the activity, we forbid the abuse of the activity.

14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +653 / 7 / -2

If you want to help someone end their life, go right ahead. I don't want to spend a single penny of my money on it. It's a free country, and it's the individuals life. If Bob wants to hop off the Tobin, just make sure you tell him to walk up there, so he doesn't leave a car, and cause traffic. ;)

15. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

How do you know??

//

16. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You're talking foolishness here, Wildo. Since recorded history began, suicide has been among the worst taboos in virtually all cultures. Warning after warning has been issued about this.

Nobody decides when they will come into existence; it's beyond each individual's scope of control. We are CREATED, not mere "accidents".

To try to undo that act of creative love is like denying everything, all of life, all good experiences, all joy, all goodness one has ever known. A terrible, most regrettable mistake.

Life is tough at times. We all meet hardships; nobody gets an easy ride in life. NOBODY. EVERYBODY faces moments of testing, trial, and tribulation at some point in their life. Sometimes it seems like these problems are insurmountable or unsolvable, but that's NEVER true. ALL problems are solvable by love. EVERYTHING can be fixed and healed by love. NOTHING is hopeless. "We shall overcome" is true. Only with love.

//

17. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

It's population control!

The problem with "Just let them" is that most people nowadays who want to kill themselves are on such outrageous medications that MAKE them want to kill themselves.