Welcome to PatsFans.com

Swift plant sued over treatment of Muslim workers

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Sep 3, 2010.

1. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Not really a lot of information to go on in the article. You do try to accomondate your workers, regardless of thier religion. What you do not want to do is escalate the situation, which is what the plant did when it fired 86 workers (due to some other circumstance, right?). Evidently, someone's ego got in the way of strategic thinking. I'd like to know how many workers are employed at the plant.

2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +629 / 13 / -6

#24 Jersey

There's a whole side-bar on the cited article with the links listed in chronological order. It's pretty interesting - the initial incident is also a year old, apparently.

Anyhow, there's a lot of details in the archived articles if you're really interested.

3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +456 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

There....is that better Chico?

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +709 / 7 / -2

Yes there is. I've been reading some them too.

Part of the problem is that the other employees (the plant employees are all union), were unhappy with the accomodations being given to the Somalis, and that's when the issues started. I read 4 or 5 articles, and some of the info is different, or not as detailed in each of them. Regardless, the main point here, is when have you reached a limit of reasonable accomodation. Also, another, which I didn't think of till I read a comment, was the union aspect of it all. Prior to some employees being fired (3 I believe, as 90 simply quit according to one paper), the bosses met with the union reps, and then moved to fire. Again though, the real question I'm posing is, when is it enough.

5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +629 / 13 / -6

#24 Jersey

Yeah, I caught that part of it. It sounded like they moved the 1/2 hour dinner break from 9:15PM to 8PM on a 3-12 shift in order to accomodate the need for the Muslims to break their fast and say evening prayers at sundown.

The company apparently said they couldn't move it any earlier because it was dangerous to work people longer than 4 hours without a break - but that doesn't make sense because if the old dinner break was at 9:15 it meant that the workers were working from 3PM to 9:15 without a break, either, and that's more than 6 hours.

So, ok, I don't "get it," apparently.

If they gave the dinner break at, say, 7PM, it would be 4 hours after starting and 41/2 hours before quitting (because they wouldn't return to work until 7:30) so what's the beef?

The workers insisted they needed to pray at sunset and wanted the equivalent of a bathroom break. Workers are allowed breaks during the work shift, which runs from 3 p.m. to midnight, according to a contract between the United Food and Commercial Workers Local 7 union and Swift.

The contract calls for a 30-minute meal break, typically at 9:15 p.m., but management offered to move it to 8 p.m.

"The production lines are stopped whenever there is a meal break," Swift spokeswoman Tamara Smid said. "They are not stopped for a bathroom break."

A lunch break earlier than 8 p.m. means employees would be required to work nearly four hours without a break, a dangerous situation on a production line where nearly 400 head of cattle are slaughtered each hour, company officials have said.

Read more: Meat-plant owner "uncooperative" in Muslim prayer fight - The Denver Post Meat-plant owner "uncooperative" in Muslim prayer fight - The Denver Post

Sorry, does not compute as good reasoning OR good math.