Welcome to PatsFans.com

Swift plant sued over treatment of Muslim workers

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +822 / 7 / -2

So do you work for a company, and thus under their schedule, or does the company work for you, and yours?

denver and the west

Swift plant sued over treatment of Muslim workers

The Denver Post
    Posted: 08/31/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

OMAHA — Federal officials say a JBS Swift & Co. meatpacking plant should give Muslim employees prayer time and not retaliate against workers who ask to pray.

The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission filed a lawsuit Monday on behalf of more than 80 Somali Muslims.

A message left at JBS Swift's U.S. headquarters in Greeley wasn't immediately returned.

Hundreds of Muslim workers walked off the job at the Grand Island, Neb., plant during Ramadan in 2008, saying they needed time to pray at sunset and break a day-long fast. Management adjusted the work schedule the next day.

Non-Muslims protested and the accommodations ended. The company fired 86 Muslims for walking off the job and said the firings weren't about religion.
    The Associated Press

Swift plant sued over treatment of Muslim workers - The Denver Post

2. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +347 / 7 / -4

How long do prayers take?

If they were given their prayer time as their break, I would think that should have been acceptable to the Muslims, the non-Muslims and the company.

If they were given extra time, I wouldn't blame the non-Muslims for being pissed. (13, if you're around, I'd be curious to hear if your thoughts -- if that was the case)

3. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Let's see. 1) Be flexible and find a reasonable way to let them pray, or 2) Be a d1ck and refuse even though it's important to the people you need to keep your business running and then pay gobs of money defending a lawsuit. Hmmm, choices, choices.

4. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +347 / 7 / -4

sounds like they tried to be flexible, I thought

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +967 / 2 / -9

:rofl:

Jesus Christ when I was working I can just picture me telling my boss "I'll be back in a little while I'm gonna say a prayer"
    :singing:

If a company lets Muslims have time to pray shouldn't the Lutherans also have time to pray, why doesn't the whole f-cking factory shut down for a half hour and everybody can pray.

Our Father Who Art In Heaven
    Lord, Please Bless My Boss For Allowing Me To Speak With Thee
    A F-cking Men.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +491 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

The American way is no one is treated special. You take your breaks when everyone else takes theirs. Pretty simple & logical really. And also the way it SHOULD be.

Otherwise, the company sets a precedent (an undeserved one at that) where other employees may ask for special conscessions.

The old "you don't want to open a can of worms" logic here that is understandable and right from not only the company's perspective, but also from the perspective of other employees.

The American way is everyone is equal and everyone should be treated the same. Pray on your own time.....

7. Real World

Ratings:
    +822 / 7 / -2

Be flexible? That's nice and all, but you have a business to run. Who's business is it, the employees, or the owners? If they can't work during daytime hours, are you supposed to close the plant, and start work at 8pm till the wee hours of the morning? Why should the non muslims that work there have to do that? To me, a business dictates what it's hours of operation are. If we start at 7AM, we start at 7AM. If you, as an employee, can't comply, then you are free to find employment elsewhere. Go find a job that suits your needs, and fits your schedule. I think most businesses are willing to accomodate some reasonable requests, or conflicts in scheduling, but the level of such accomodation is ultimately up to the discretion of the business. IMO anyway. I do it here with some of the muslims I employ. We give them certain muslim, or native holidays off, just like we do others. If they came to me though, and said we have to do our work at night, cuz they couldn't work during the day, I'd tell them to find a night job elsewhere.

8. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The company I work for is very flexible and as a result our workers are happy, loyal, and work a little harder. If they tried to dictate things like this to us we'd start seeking greener pastures. If you're an authoritarian, go ahead and be happy trying to play dictator to low skill and low self-esteem employees since they're the only people who'd want to work for you.

Plus, this guy's an idiot because he's got a sh1t load of legal fees he's got to pay, even if he wins. Kind of a capitalism fail, isn't it?

9. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +491 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

"low skill and low self-esteem employees"??? :confused2:

It's a MEAT PACKING plant, not a company of scientists...

By nature, you're going to get low skill people.

10. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +347 / 7 / -4

It's not just Muslims. Surely you've heard of Christian health workers and social workers trying to avoid doing aspects of their jobs b/c it went against their personal religious beliefs, right?

11. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

So now you've got low-skilled disgruntled employees suing you. Still a major fail at running a business. The owner must post on this board.

12. Real World

Ratings:
    +822 / 7 / -2

Clearly you've never run a business. There is nothing dictatorial here. The owner has an operation to run, and he won't let his livelyhood, and the health of his company, be held hostage by a segment of his employees who are making unreasonable demands. The legal BS is symbolic of all that's wrong in this country. Owners, as well as people, shouldn't be blackmailed into implementing bad policy, out of fear for being sued.

13. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Let's see, I've seen dogmatic owners run their companies into the ground, and I've seen open CEOs lead growing companies. I'll take the latter everyday. And this guy's little line in the sand routine is costing him time and money. Major business school brain fart.

Plus, nice false choice. There is no threat to the health of his company if his employees take a little time in the middle of the day to pray just so long as they get their 8 hours or whatever in.

Nice jab at their religion with the hostage taking nonsense, by the way.

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +822 / 7 / -2

Talk about false choices. You make it sound as if every owner, or CEO, who has bent over backwards for his employees, in appeasing their every request, has been successfull, and all who've implemented some type of rule, have not. I guess this is where I say "well I've known plenty of owners who's given in to every one of their employee's requests, and have gone out of business, while all the Mussolini clones, have not." :rolleyes:

It's not a matter of always giving in, or never giving. It's about what is reasonable, what isn't, and where the right of refusal ultimately lays. Also, businesses aren't one size fits all, just as all requests for accomodation aren't either. My point is that when you run your own business, you'll be able to coddle your employees, however you deem fit. In the meantime, if you boss doesn't want to do as you wish, then he shouldn't have to.

15. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Don't put words in my mouth, as I certainly never said that one appease every request. Please show me where I did. Please, it'll be fun.

In this situation, however, it's clearly the best option for this guy to be a little flexible.

You could, but you'd be being rhetorical about a point that you made up. Is it fun, making things up?

No sh1t. And I never said it was. Sigh.

And pay to defend avoidable lawsuits! Now that's what I call running a business!

16. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +347 / 7 / -4

That's the American way? Not sure...

... but this is up the company. They're free to accommodate employees' desires or not.

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +822 / 7 / -2

You betcha!

18. Real World

Ratings:
    +822 / 7 / -2

Someone who gets it. [​IMG]

19. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

:confused2: I guess that's all you got. Boring.

20. Real World

Ratings:
    +822 / 7 / -2

Neato!