PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sweeney Using the Broom - Hamilton and Lucic Gone.

I don't follow the NHL prospects like I do the NFL and the draft but here's what the SI guys had to say about the three first picks.

JAKUB ZBORIL, D
ST. JOHN (QMJHL) | 6-2, 185

13-20-3 in 44 games
Pick acquired in trade with Kings. Zboril has the offensive tools, including a heavy shot from the point, to man the power play. He also has that nasty, physical edge that makes him a miserable opponent in the defensive zone.

• SCOUTS SAY: “Does his best work in the neutral zone. Makes a crisp, smart pass in transition and is just as effective breaking up the [enemy] attack as it comes out of the zone. He crosses the line occasionally [he had two suspensions this season] but that’s okay. He’s a hard man to play against..”

JAKE DEBRUSK, LW
SWIFT CURRENT (WHL) | 6-0, 176

42-39-81 in 72 games
There are echoes of his father, long-time NHL enforcer Louie DeBrusk, in Jake’s game—the work ethic, the competitiveness, the character—but he has a lot more in his tool box than his old man. He’s a gifted goal scorer who can create offense with his hands and his smarts. He’s hard along the boards and fearless in the hard areas of the ice. He has the potential to be an effective scorer from the second line.

• SCOUTS SAY: “There was so much growth in his game this year but it feels like there's still just scratching the surface of what he can be. There's a high skill level there but there’s a strong desire to improve every element of his game. I think his hockey sense [is one of his best attributes].”

ZACH SENYSHYN, RW
SAULT STE. MARIE (OHL) | 6-1, 192

26-19-45 in 66 games
Pick acquired in trade with Flames. A player who skated mostly fourth line minutes for the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds and was widely expected to be available deep into the second round. Nothing wrong with reaching for a player, but this feels like a total mismanagement of the asset when players like Barzal, Konecny, White and others are still on the board. Someone needs to throw Sweeney a lifeline. The water's looking a little deep for him today.

• CENTRAL PROFILE: “In 2014-15, Senyshyn finished second among Ontario Hockey League rookies in goals (26) and points (45) before being named to the League’s Second All-Rookie Team. He also posted a plus-30 rating to help the Greyhounds capture the Hamilton Spectator Trophy as top team in the regular season for the first time in 30 years. He added seven points (4-3-7) in 14 playoff games.”

The comments on Senyshyn are a bit contradictory but overall I like the sound of the players they drafted. A guy I used to work with is Canadian and really follows all the junior leagues so I need to track him down to get his take on the Bruin's haul.

Lucic needed to go he was lazy here. He'll probably have a great first year in LA especially since it's a contract year and then he'll revert. I'm sure they'll love him even more in his home town of Vancouver now that he's in the division.

I wish they could have kept Hamilton but I don't blame them for not giving him the 7M range contract. He hasn't show nearly enough to warrant it.

This is all well and good. However, how often have Bruins fans been hearing about potential that never bubbles up? I couldn't tell you how much of my time I have wasted reading about their prospects that never pan out. Of course, it's refreshing to see a guy like Pastrnak come through. But please be reminded: their roster situation created that opportunity; one which typically would have us still reading about how well he might be doing on other (junior) teams. Likewise for Griffith...another opportunity that isn't always around- playing time! I am really pointing at how well the B's have done with top 10 picks (e.g. Thorton; Seguin, Hamilton). Please be reminded that B's fans suffered through dismal seasons in the hope that a top-10 player might get things going. Then we earn the pick (ie a bad finish) and grow with the player...in the promise of future rewards...that never came. And this can be OK if the trades that send them packing bring something (to build a team with) back. However, the B's consistently mismanage this position; end up with nothing...as though they never had a #1 to begin with.

FYI: a lot of teams were surprised the B's took Senyshyn too early. However, word on the street is that two teams (one being Montreal) was interested and he might not be around. Regardless, we'll see how it goes 3-4 years from now...and another year or two for development at the NHL level. Of course, this does not help the team next year...

I think I see some of the Bruins strategy here .... Go with stay at home defense and young fast 3rd and 4th line players for now. Players who will stay cheap but wear down other teams defense. As opposed to a Seguin / Kessel type player where you pay huge for their complete package. So the Bruins will end up with higher salary 1st and 2nd line players ...

Exchanging grind it out along the boards 3rd and 4th line guys who are a bit over paid for what they do ... Soderberg for example ... replace with young very agile and mobile younger guys who will be used to wear the other team down so it will be hard for those teams to focus on only our 1st and 2nd lines.

I love what they achieved in the draft ... they grabbed a few players who would have been drafted higher with 1 more year of maturity under their belt. The ISS ranking are useful but not every player fits in with every team. I'm excited to see what Claude will do ... I sense a change in his style and the man is brilliant ... he will go at this like a rookie facing a new challenge. Don't be surprised to see Chara ... Krejci ... and Seidenberg traded near the deadline ... Only untouchables will be Rask - Bergeron - and Pastarnak.

My 2 cents.

From the Boston Herald (7/2/2015): http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...2015/06/bruins_moves_a_shock_to_brad_marchand

Marchand said he was surprised to see that Hamilton may not have wanted to be a part of the team any longer.

“I never thought that he didn’t want to be here but after I saw the articles about what the team offered him and what they signed him for, they’re pretty similar offers,” Marchand said. “I don’t know if Dougie wanted out or not. It’s not my job to speculate. But I just have to wish Dougie the best and hope he has a good career. We’ve got to move forward and hopefully we can win with the team we put on the ice.”

-------------------

Interesting...pretty similar offers. Perhaps Dougie missed Canada; wanted to go back home? Something was up...and not discussed. Regardless, it's becoming quite obvious that the B's might need to spend some time checking character beforehand to avoid wasting top-10 picks?

I think I see some of the Bruins strategy here .... Go with stay at home defense and young fast 3rd and 4th line players for now. Players who will stay cheap but wear down other teams defense. As opposed to a Seguin / Kessel type player where you pay huge for their complete package. So the Bruins will end up with higher salary 1st and 2nd line players ...

Exchanging grind it out along the boards 3rd and 4th line guys who are a bit over paid for what they do ... Soderberg for example ... replace with young very agile and mobile younger guys who will be used to wear the other team down so it will be hard for those teams to focus on only our 1st and 2nd lines.

I love what they achieved in the draft ... they grabbed a few players who would have been drafted higher with 1 more year of maturity under their belt. The ISS ranking are useful but not every player fits in with every team. I'm excited to see what Claude will do ... I sense a change in his style and the man is brilliant ... he will go at this like a rookie facing a new challenge. Don't be surprised to see Chara ... Krejci ... and Seidenberg traded near the deadline ... Only untouchables will be Rask - Bergeron - and Pastarnak.

My 2 cents.
You have more faith in the Clod Julien than I do. He'll give more ice time to trash like Talbot - Kelly - Rinaldo than to kids like Koko, Griffith, Spooner & Pasternak.

From the Boston Herald (7/2/2015): http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...2015/06/bruins_moves_a_shock_to_brad_marchand

Marchand said he was surprised to see that Hamilton may not have wanted to be a part of the team any longer.

“I never thought that he didn’t want to be here but after I saw the articles about what the team offered him and what they signed him for, they’re pretty similar offers,” Marchand said. “I don’t know if Dougie wanted out or not. It’s not my job to speculate. But I just have to wish Dougie the best and hope he has a good career. We’ve got to move forward and hopefully we can win with the team we put on the ice.”

-------------------

Interesting...pretty similar offers. Perhaps Dougie missed Canada; wanted to go back home? Something was up...and not discussed. Regardless, it's becoming quite obvious that the B's might need to spend some time checking character beforehand to avoid wasting top-10 picks?

Hamilton's problem was with the Clod Julien, and if that's indeed the case, then I would've fired Julien before trading Hamilton.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back