PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Svitek Is Starting Again At RG

One doesn't plan for THREE injuries. One plans for 2 injuries. If there were 2 or three, we'd pick a street free agent as we have in the pst.

What if Ridley, Vereen and Blount were injured?

Not that his first position is at G/C, but why was Bill so quick to waive Kevin Haslam?
It's not like he replaced him with a vet G/C; he replaced him with...nobody.

The team will start to cut players who have no chance to make the roster. The alternative is to keep him to play with the last quarter scrubs.

Not that his first position is at G/C, but why was Bill so quick to waive Kevin Haslam?

If Belichick decides that a guy is going to be cut in the immediate future, then it's too risky to put him on the field. If he were to get hurt, then the team would either have to keep him on IR and pay him in full or give him an injury settlement.

This sounds good, but it makes little sense to me. In the next 2 weeks or so, we will cut 35 players. We know a lot of their names now. Why haven't they been cut?

If Belichick decides that a guy is going to be cut in the immediate future, then it's too risky to put him on the field. If he were to get hurt, then the team would either have to keep him on IR and pay him in full or give him an injury settlement.

This sounds good, but it makes little sense to me. In the next 2 weeks or so, we will cut 35 players. We know a lot of their names now. Why haven't they been cut?
My guess is that Haslam is gone as opposed to all of these other guys because he's not practice squad eligible as a fourth year player. While we have a pretty good idea who will make the roster at a lot of positions, there are still the practice squad spots up for grabs. Michael Jenkins is another example of an older player who didn't really have a role once it had been determined that he wasn't a realistic candidate for the roster. I'm not going to run down the entire roster, but my guess is that everybody remaining on the roster right now either has a realistic chance of making the 53 or is practice squad eligible. In the meantime, they'll fill those three spots with some guys who can either fight to be on the roster or (more likely) the practice squad.

A few thousand dollars to lose and nothing to gain, if you will, while everybody still on the roster could still stick with the team in some capacity.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back