PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Suspect drafting past few years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruschi was the starting LB, and to deserve the starting role, you have to put up the numbers to show you deserve it, and Bruschi obviously wasn't there yet in '98.

Because they had a guy by the name of Ted Johnson who was one of the best MLB's in the game before his injury in '99.

Last edited:
Defensive rookie of the year is a bust? All I have to say...

I know. I took that as more of an attack on the guy himself, which it was. I'm not one to blame the scheme in this case so much as the personnel we have running it.

Well, I think that the Chicken Littles are mostly the same people that were panicking over first quarter completions surrendered when the team was en route to 17-0, so I tend to laugh as I read their posts. However, the switch to the 4-3 was supposedly done because of Mayo's potential, and it's not working out. Part of the problem has been the stupidity of trading Seymour, part of the problem has been Mayo's injury, part of the problem is relatively poor play by the other linebackers.

However, when you look at it overall, there's no question that, to date, the move to the 4-3 has failed to turn Mayo into the player New England thought he would be with the system change.* I expect that time passing for the injury and the gaining of experience will help, but I also think the team needs to replace the other linebackers in the corps and either get back to the 3-4 or trade Wilfork and Warren for other D-linemen, because the 4-3 is limiting their impact.

*Disclaimer: I wanted Clady with that pick, so assign whatever bias you feel is appropriate.

Last edited:
Thomas has been horrendous and has been a full out bust, and Colvin wasn't what we thought he was going to be. I give them credit for Moss, Welker, Stallworth and Harrison. However guys like Starks, Thomas, Chad Brown, Monty Beisel, Chris Baker, Shawn Springs, Galloway, O'Neal etc.... Have sucked ca ca for us. So we have had more misses then hits in free agency. Along with the drafting woes from this team, this is why we are in this hole right now. People are wondering why this is happening!! Look at this!!! This is why!!! We aren't drafting effectively.

I love how people bash on Chris Baker when he's being asked to block on an almost full time basis because of the O-line issues. As for Springs, he's done fine when he's played.

The drafting "woes" are in people's heads and exaggerated beyond belief. People just are too clueless on what drafting woes really are. Too many people act like we've become the Lions of the mid-2000s because we haven't picked their binkie and their binkie has gone on to an entirely DIFFERENT system and had some modicum of success...

Chad Jackson: Out of the league.
Terrence Wheatley: Awful Wheatley has done an ok job since returning from injury. Prior to injury, he had worked his way into the regular rotation
Kevin O'Connell: Awful decision to draft him in the 3rd round. Produced nothing. Why was it an "Aweful decision"? Cause you say so? Or because you are looking at it in hindsight?
Shawn Crable: Wow was he great!! Injuries happen.
Ron Brace: Why did we pick him here? He isn't a hard worker and has been a healthy scratch. How the hell do you know if he's been a hard worker or not? You aren't at the practices.
Kareem Brown: Who? He isn't in the league no more. He made the team out of TC. He was cut because of injury woes at DB in 2007. The Jets then picked him up and he spent the rest of the season with them.
Marquis Hill: I shouldn't be ragging on him because he is "no longer" with us anymore. As for him being a player, was a bust. Gee, you reached back to 2004 to pull this one out of your arse. The Pats had an extra 2nd round pick that year and they took Hill to see if they could develop him as a 3-4 DE. As for him being a bust, the team clearly felt differently. Otherwise they still wouldn't have his locker up. In fact, BB said that Hill was one of the reasons they were prepared for the really good 4-3 DEs during his tenure with the Pats.

Take a look at this and this is why things are not good right now.

Bingo!!!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you full of sh!t. They aren't the reason why the Pats aren't playing well right now. No matter how much you want people to think you are correct.

The Pats aren't playing wel because they aren't playing well. For whatever reason, they aren't the normally FOCUSED team we expect. Being unintelligent and making asinine claims about players doesn't make you look smart. On the contrary. It makes you look like you don't know what you are talking about.

From all the bull I've seen you post on how good Bill is at drafting I know you have NO grasp of football.

He has a good grasp on middle/upper management techniques, probably working for a faceless multi-national corporation that relocated him from Boston to the Dallas suburbs, hence all the rage-filled tirades he tries to abuse people with to make himself feel better about it.

Actual football knowledge? You're right--not so much.

From all the bull I've seen you post on how good Bill is at drafting I know you have NO grasp of football.

Dude, I can assure you that I have an excellent grasp of football and have proven it time and again. Just because you are ignorant and don't understand what is being talked about doesn't mean that I am the one with no grasp of football.

But that is typical of Johnny-Come-latelys who only use hindsight to make judgements and have absolutely NO CLUE or Perspective on how things actually occur, particularly when it comes to the draft.

BTW, please re-post just how good I claimed BB was.. I'm interested in seeing it since I am fairly certain the length of what I said amounted to " they didn't suck".

Well, I think that the Chicken Littles are mostly the same people that were panicking over first quarter completions surrendered when the team was en route to 17-0, so I tend to laugh as I read their posts. However, the switch to the 4-3 was supposedly done because of Mayo's potential, and it's not working out. Part of the problem has been the stupidity of trading Seymour, part of the problem has been Mayo's injury, part of the problem is relatively poor play by the other linebackers.

However, when you look at it overall, there's no question that, to date, the move to the 4-3 has failed to turn Mayo into the player New England thought he would be with the system change.* I expect that time passing for the injury and the gaining of experience will help, but I also think the team needs to replace the other linebackers in the corps and either get back to the 3-4 or trade Wilfork and Warren for other D-linemen, because the 4-3 is limiting their impact.

*Disclaimer: I wanted Clady with that pick, so assign whatever bias you feel is appropriate.

I'll agree with that. I posted as much in my blog and many times on here. Mayo does not have a very good supporting cast around him. By the way, I have to concede that you just might be right about Brady. Though, I'm still not sure how much his second half woes had to do with the breakdown in the blocking and the double coverage over Welker and Moss. But he did have a couple of "gunslinger" moments today.

:hijacked:

You think you are too smart. OK. The Patriots drafted Moss and Welker. Congratulations!!!!

That's not what I said. Clearly you aren't intelligent enough to understand that. Nice going. Another wannabee 20/209 hind-sighter who brings NOTHING to the table but his ignorance.

Dude, I can assure you that I have an excellent grasp of football and have proven it time and again. Just because you are ignorant and don't understand what is being talked about doesn't mean that I am the one with no grasp of football.

But that is typical of Johnny-Come-latelys who only use hindsight to make judgements and have absolutely NO CLUE or Perspective on how things actually occur, particularly when it comes to the draft.

BTW, please re-post just how good I claimed BB was.. I'm interested in seeing it since I am fairly certain the length of what I said amounted to " they didn't suck".

You are one hell of a clown aren't you sonny boy

Is that the best you can do?

Seriously, there's no reason in continuing this argument with you because you are comparing a 10th overall selection to somebody that was taken late in the 3rd round and was a back up to Ted Johnson before his injury in '99. No crap Mayo is going to have better stats than Bruschi because one was a starter and the other was a back up. By the way, Bruschi started by default due to Johnson's injury. So what is your point again?

Last edited:
You are one hell of a clown aren't you sonny boy

Seems like we've got a case of

fstdt-pot-kettle3.jpg

With that post.

Last edited:
Mayo is rated the #40 ILB by Pro Football Focus. Guyton is rated higher than him.

And pro football focus is the "be all end all" for evaluating players.. :rolleyes:

Stats without perspective mean NOTHING. I'd expect someone who is intelligent about football to understand that. It's quite clear where you fall..

And pro football focus is the "be all end all" for evaluating players.. :rolleyes:

Stats without perspective mean NOTHING. I'd expect someone who is intelligent about football to understand that. It's quite clear where you fall..

Above you, you blowhard clown

Seriously, there's no reason in continuing this argument with you because you are comparing a 10th overall selection to somebody that was taken late in the 3rd round and was a back up to Ted Johnson before his injury in '99. By the way, Ted Johnson was a 2nd round pick. So what is your point again?

Ok let me make it clear. BB does NOT care about pedigree ok?

He cares about what you do now, not where you came from yesterday.

In '98, Bruschi's number was not spectacular, yet he continues starting.

In '09, Mayo's number are not spectacular, yet he continues starting.

Are you getting it now?

here is a look at the patrots first pick in the draft and who they could of had from 2006 till 2009

2006 Laurence Maroney

yas they could of had DeAngelo Williams a all pro RB but maroney was the ranked RB in the draft that year in back of bush and some peopel had maroney going as high as 7th to oakland so to get a top 10 to top 15 talent at #21 was a good pick

2007 Brandon Meriweather

they could of had jon beason a all pro ILB that went one pick later but at 6. 238lbs to small to play the 3-4 so Meriweather was a good pick

2008 Jerod Mayo

yes they could of had a all pro LT in clady but we have been carying out loud for the pats to pick a LB in the first round for the last 10 years so we can't realy be mad at this
pick

2009 Patrick Chung

they could have stayed in the first round and got Michael Oher or Clay Matthews chung may turn out to be a good run stoper at S but it dose not look like he can cover so i would have been much happer with Oher or Matthews

3 out of the 4 guys they drafted with there first pick the last 4 years are starter so that realy is not that bad yes none of them are all pro but ill take 3 out 4 starters

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey