PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Suspect drafting past few years

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rofl: So now you think that BB, the guy with just a few Super Bowl rings for his defensive acumen, is intentionally sticking with a defensive scheme that is "holding back" Jerod Mayo? Keep going bro. This is ******' rich.

I am not saying I agree or disagree with you but it's possible. If the scheme uses 10 players to their maximum but holds one back, i'll use the scheme too if it is the best option i can think of.

And there are quite a few who are some of the best in the league. Not sure why you consider yourself "old" but you definitely don't have a good grasp of football.

From all the bull I've seen you post on how good Bill is at drafting I know you have NO grasp of football.

The next time DRC is aggressive trying to make a tackle will be the first time in his entire life. Since he's not Deion Sanders, that sort of crap is unacceptable.

Or didn't you bother watching the Super Bowl last year to see him completely exposed?

Please dude, don't make me laugh. Don't do it. DRC is destined for greatness, Chris Collinsworth said it tonight, as have many, many others. What are you watching ? DRC has many probowls ahead of him.

What's insane is you. If this were 1997 or 1998, you'd be cutting Bruschi, Willie, and Milloy for underperforming, according to your standards. They all had 5 sacks altogether for 1998.

When did I ever say I'd cut them and where did I say you had to have sacks to be good?

Wow. Do you realize you provided the ammunition to prove your statement wrong and totally ill-thought?

A GOOD team that has evaluated the draft and found it to be lacking (which the Pats did in 2007, they felt that much of the 1st round talent wasn't worth a 3rd or 4th round pick) will turn around and trade picks for established veterans (Moss and Welker) and for picks in the future.

Guess you don't put too much thought into your responses, do you?

You think you are too smart. OK. The Patriots drafted Moss and Welker. Congratulations!!!!

I never said he's a bust, I just don't think he's worth the 10th overall pick. In addition, I think their scheme is holding him back.

He's not very good in coverage and rarely makes tackles behind the line of scrimmage or at least force fumbles. So for what he does, he's not worth the 10th overall pick. Again, I think their scheme just flat out sucks.

You said he's not a bust, but then you say he's not worth the 10th pick. That's a contradiction.

It's way too early to write off last year's draft. Signs point to it being pretty good. Butler and Vollmer alone look like they can play a little. Chung will get better. Brace is clearly behind the curve but who knows how he'll turn out. McKenzie will be back next year. I have a feeling Tate looks like PKSamChadJacksonBethelJohnson v3.0 but he'll have a chance to turn it around (stay healthy) next season.

PK Sam should not have come out. However, he had to because of grades and financial issues. If he'd stayed another year, he could have been a 1st round pick. Unfortunately, his agent also had his ear and Sam took the attitude that he should be treated like a 1st round pick.

Tate was recovering from an ACL tear that happened at the start of his senior year. He reaggravated it with the Pats and it was clearly within the initial 12 month recover time. To say he's going to be like Bethel Johnson or Chad Jackson is silly since Jackson tore his ACL playing in the 2006 AFCCG and people expected him to come back after 6 or 9 months and be fully healthy.. That was totally unrealistic of people. Johnson had a multitude of foot and ankle issues.

Not sure how you can be lumping Tate in already..

Please dude, don't make me laugh. Don't do it. DRC is destined for greatness, Chris Collinsworth said it tonight, as have many, many others. What are you watching ? DRC has many probowls ahead of him.

You do like to just ignore the points, don't you? He doesn't tackle. Belichick wants DBs that tackle. It's really that simple.

Being needlessly obtuse doesn't make your argument better.

Last edited:
:rofl: So now you think that BB, the guy with just a few Super Bowl rings for his defensive acumen, is intentionally sticking with a defensive scheme that is "holding back" Jerod Mayo? Keep going bro. This is ******' rich.

You clearly didn't understand my comment. BB is not intentionally holding him back, his scheme just sucks. Big difference.

I never actually thought I'd see anyone basing an argument on a Cris Collinsworth quote. :eek:

You clearly didn't understand my comment. BB is not intentionally holding him back, his scheme just sucks. Big difference.

That scheme has won five Super Bowls. But yeah, it clearly sucks. Go figure. :rolleyes:

When did I ever say I'd cut them and where did I say you had to have sacks to be good?

You said Mayo's "not worth it." My case is he's only been in the league 2 years. In '98 Bruschi has been in the league only 2 years, yet Mayo's numbers are higher than his is, at this point.

So to follow your argument for its sake, we say Mayo's not worth it, so let's apply that same logic to Bruschi and say he's not worth it, in '98 and get rid of him, then we lose what he was to us from '02 onwards for a good 5-6 years.

You said he's not a bust, but then you say he's not worth the 10th pick. That's a contradiction.

Maybe, but I don't think he is a bust. A bust to me is someone that is flat out terrible ala Ryan Leaf taken #2 overall. Mayo isn't terrible.

That scheme has won five Super Bowls. But yeah, it clearly sucks. Go figure. :rolleyes:

To be fair, the Patriots have changed the defensive scheme. 4-3 vs. 3-4 and all that....

Mayo is rated the #40 ILB by Pro Football Focus. Guyton is rated higher than him.

To be fair, the Patriots have changed the defensive scheme. 4-3 vs. 3-4 and all that....

I know. I took that as more of an attack on the guy himself, which it was. I'm not one to blame the scheme in this case so much as the personnel we have running it.

You said Mayo's "not worth it." My case is he's only been in the league 2 years. In '98 Bruschi has been in the league only 2 years, yet Mayo's numbers are higher than his is, at this point.

So to follow your argument for its sake, we say Mayo's not worth it, so let's apply that same logic to Bruschi and say he's not worth it, in '98 and get rid of him, then we lose what he was to us from '02 onwards for a good 5-6 years.

Mayo and Bruschi were taken in completely different rounds. Mayo 10th overall and Bruschi late in the 3rd round. Not the best comparison.

Mayo and Bruschi were taken in completely different rounds. Mayo 10th overall and Bruschi late in the 3rd round. Not the best comparison.

Bruschi was the starting LB, and to deserve the starting role, you have to put up the numbers to show you deserve it, and Bruschi obviously wasn't there yet in '98.

I know. I took that as more of an attack on the guy himself, which it was. I'm not one to blame the scheme in this case so much as the personnel we have running it.

Well, we will probably never know because the Pats have had a hard time rebuilding this defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back