PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Suspect drafting past few years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mayo may not be putting up sack or INT numbers, but he has the maturity level and work ethic of a 10-year vet. He's exactly the type of player BB looks for.

Mayo is in the most difficult position in a BB defense which is complicated enough as it is. He will come into his own in a year or so. I don't know how many times I've said it, but look at Bruschi who didn't really kick in until '02.

Have you actually watched the past two games an seen the tackles Mayo has missed. He is way overrated.

Big time. I have never seen a more overblown non-productive player in a long time than this guy. Even last year, I honestly didn't see a whole lot, I only remember one particular play where he blew up Ray Rice for a 3 yard loss on a sweep early in the season. I honestly don't remember a whole lot more other than that aside from alot of stat-padding tackles made after 4-7 yard gains which somehow lead to DROY. Can someone let me know the impact plays that may have been made by Mayo last season, I can't think of any.

Again with the 10th overall pick we still could have traded down 5 more slots, picked up another 3rd or 4th round pick and drafted the guy we should have drafted in the first place to replace Asante and that is DRC. The next great NFL shutdown. Again, I think it's time for BB to take off the personnel hat and turn it completely over to a more qualified guy whether that be completely over to Floyd Reece or bring someone in from the outside. BB's FA signings and draft day decisions have been real head scratchers to say the least.

I can't stand almost every free agent the Pats signs, but that's another story. Unless the player had DeMarcus Ware or Patrick Willis type ability, taking a LB with the 10th selection seems pretty stupid to me. Although DRC had all the measurables, he's a risky pick because of where he played in college. Because of how much the Pats throw, an OT should've been the selection at #10.

In 2009, I was shocked and pissed the Pats didn't draft Oher who fell into their laps at 24. Sure, their defense might suck likes it does today but they would have two potential stud offensive tackles of the future.

Last edited:
Huh? 2009: Chung, Butler, Brace, Vollmer, Tate, McKenzie, Ohrnberger, Bussey, Ingram, Pryor, Edelman, Richard.

That's at least one solid starter (Vollmer), five solid contributors (Chung, Butler, Edelman, Ingram, Pryor), two injured guys (Tate, McKenzie), and four developmental guys (Brace, Ohrnberger, Bussey, Richard).

The only real question mark to this point is Brace. And personally, I think he'll make in impact in 2010 after this front seven is restructured.

Yes, the 2006-2008 drafting sucked. Outside of Mayo and Meriweather, it was terrible. But the 2009 drafting did not.

I addressed this topic a few months back:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...69-current-status-all-bb-era-draft-picks.html

I wouldn't consider a high second round that is thought of as a developmental player a good pick.

Chung has been mediocre at best when he has played and is terrible in coverage.

Did you watch as the Dolphins worked their way down Butlers side of the field to score a TD. 5'10" CB's in this league are a dime a dozen.

2005: Logan Mankins and Dan Koppen.

2006: Laurence Maroney and Stephen Gostkowski.

2007: Merriweather and no one else.

2008: Mayo and two corners who have been ineffective.

2009: Great across the board.

Take a look at this and non aggressiveness in free agency, no wonder why this team is struggling the way they are. Have one, two, 3 at best in the draft. This is why. It isn't Moss or Wilfork. It is the inability in free agency and the draft. Sometime the scouting needs to be questioned.

The years they have been agressive in FA/Trades were quite good. 2003 Colvin and Rodney came on board. In 2007 it was Welker, Moss, Thomas, Stallworth. Both seasons ended in the Super Bowl.

And these All World players still collecting NFL checks indicates exactly what ?

You mean besides your apparent lack of understanding that the percentages don't favor draft picks making it in the NFL, especially on the teams that draft them?

not trying to fuel any conspiracy theories but do you think any of the lackluster coaching could be due to the uncapped year next year looming. I don't know the exact rules in regards to it, but I know that if you are a top 8 team you can only sign a free agent when you lose one (or something like that) but otherwise you can sign anyone... Just a thought, and no I don't think Belichick would sacrifice this year for the future. It just seems like the play-calling has been way to predictable, on both sides of the ball.

Wow, I'm a bit surprised at all the Mayo hate. That seems to be a new development. A month ago he was a slam dunk perennial Pro Bowler.

Chung has been mediocre at best when he has played and is terrible in coverage.

Did you watch as the Dolphins worked their way down Butlers side of the field to score a TD. 5'10" CB's in this league are a dime a dozen.

You're wrong on Chung.

They moved up not because of Butler, but because it's what our D is willing to give up: the short plays and intermediate outs.

You mean besides your apparent lack of understanding that the percentages don't favor draft picks making it in the NFL, especially on the teams that draft them?

The percentages are even worse as far as the Pats go.

I don't think the Pats have done a very good job in the draft over the last 3 years. outside of Mayo, and he is probably Overrated to this point, what impact players have come out of the draft? I mean it seems as if we passed on alot of players who have turned out to be impact players for other teams to only secure future draft picks every year while only drafting depth players, and yet our team seems to get worse and worse. Especially the defense and the Offensive line. Our Secondary is suspect, and it seems several corners chosen after Butler are performing better to this point. We have no Pass Rush to speak of and I don't see any immediate help there. Our O Line gets beat consistently by 3 man rushes and I cant count the number of quality O lineman we have passed over. These past draft classes are really starting to give me flashes of the Bobby Grier days. I don't think we are any longer smarter then the rest of the guys when it comes to talent evaluation as we seem to have missed alot more then we have hit the Target lately.

What is it with clueless wonders like yourself? Seriously? We go over this time and again and you are proven WRONG every time this subject comes up.

If these draft classes are giving you flashes of the Bobby Grier days, you are drunk, high or unintelligent or a combination there of.

People like you forget that BB and the staff interview these guys. They add those interviews to the whole evaluation process. And if the guy shows he's dumb as a rock, or will have trouble with the play book, or can't break down film, or can't take criticism/instruction, do you really think that they are going to get drafted by the Pats? It's part of a process. It's a BUSINESS. These guys are employees. Not just players. If the Brass feels they won't mesh with what's there, they might not bring those players in..

I won't deride you on the last two drafts because its clear that others have already taken you to task for your comments...

Wilhite.....facepalm

Wow, I'm a bit surprised at all the Mayo hate. That seems to be a new development. A month ago he was a slam dunk perennial Pro Bowler.

Why the suprise, do you see Mayo doing anything out there ? I don't ! I honestly expect alot more out of the 10th overall pick, I'm not seeing it.

It's way too early to write off last year's draft. Signs point to it being pretty good. Butler and Vollmer alone look like they can play a little. Chung will get better. Brace is clearly behind the curve but who knows how he'll turn out. McKenzie will be back next year. I have a feeling Tate looks like PKSamChadJacksonBethelJohnson v3.0 but he'll have a chance to turn it around (stay healthy) next season.

Maybe Bobby Greir is available.

ARRGGGGGHHHHHHH do NOT even whisper that name around here ever again!!
Him and Wallace stunted the growth of the Pats and Celts for years!!
They botrh threw away alot of high picks, and discussing them is no longer tolerated!

Thank You for your Cooperation in this matter.

:D

The percentages are even worse as far as the Pats go.

I believe it was Casserly who put forth his version. The Patriots were fine.

What makes the "bad draft" argument more annoying is that players are coming in and competing against better players, so they'll naturally have a lower success rate. O'Callaghan looked as if he might take the job from Kaczur, for example, but injuries kept him down and he was eventually released. He's now starting for the Chiefs.

The Patriots have been very successful in the draft, overall. The problem is that people don't look at round drafted, but they do think that every miss is a sign of the apocalypse. "How could you pass on Hubba Bubba in the 7th round? He's gone on to become a Pro-Bowler!", etc....

When the posters start remembering that pulling Bradys out of the 6th round and Edelmans out of the 7th round are exceptions rather than the rule, hopefully some sanity will return with regards to the drafts.

Last edited:
You're wrong on Chung.

They moved up not because of Butler, but because it's what our D is willing to give up: the short plays and intermediate outs.

Chung is only good in the box. I suggest you watch him in coverage.

Butler gave up passes of 15 yards and 29 yards, those are not short passes.

Yeah. One loss and it's the IN thing to do to hate on Mayo. A lot of people forget that he was the rookie of the year last season and is probably the only "game changer" type of linebacker we have in that entire corps (which of course means that the offense concentrates on taking him out of the equation). There's nothing wrong with Mayo. Give him a solid supporting cast and he'll be absolute gold. Guyton is solid, but I'm not completely sold on him as a starter.

Chung is only good in the box. I suggest you watch him in coverage.

Butler gave up passes of 15 yards and 29 yards, those are not short passes.

Chung does NOT play the box when he is in, which is when we run the dime. I don't remember Butler giving up 29 yards.

Last edited:
I believe it was Casserly who put forth his version. The Patriots were fine.

What makes the "bad draft" argument more annoying is that players are coming in and competing against better players, so they'll naturally have a lower success rate. O'Callaghan looked as if he might take the job from Kaczur, for example, but injuries kept him down and he was eventually released. He's now starting for the Chiefs.

The Patriots have been very successful in the draft, overall. The problem is that people don't look at round drafted, but they do think that every miss is a sign of the apocalypse. "How could you pass on Hubba Bubba in the 7th round? He's gone on to become a Pro-Bowler!", etc....

When the posters start remembering that pulling Bradys out of the 6th round and Edelmans out of the 7th round are exceptions rather than the rule, hopefully some sanity will return with regards to the drafts.

Really ?

Do you have any thoughts on the following:

Chad Jackson
Terrence Wheatley
Kevin O'Connell
Shawn Crable
Ron Brace
Kareem Brown ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back