PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Survey of MVP voters suggests Peyton leads Peterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
you're either insane or blind deaf and dumb...Brady gets derision, sexual innuendoes,"he's a system QB", he's fragile, he can't throw long,he's wimpy, he's not clutch...blah blah blah...I'm not gonna sit here and "you tube" and ESPN sound byte you back to the stone age but, please, just shut it with that idiotic crap you're spewing.

I'm none of those, actually. :rolleyes:

Peyton Manning does car and pizza commercials and has a big forehead. He's pretty funny in commercials/SNL, etc. so naturally he's going to be a little more liked in general than Brady. Brady doesn't show the same emotion people see from Manning in public. He's much more serious more of the time, he's more vocally competitive (by that, I mean things like laughing at the Giants saying they would hold them to 17 points in that first SB match up), and just generally less likable to those outside of New England.

In terms of public perception, yes, people definitely like Peyton more than Brady, and that's not even close.

As far as the media goes though, just as many broadcasts refer to Tom Brady as "one of the best ever" as Peyton. Just as many analysts talk about how flawless he is as a QB. PM and TB are both equally loved by media and analysts alike. In fact, the ONLY negative thing I remember hearing from the media ALL season about either of the two QBs was a couple weeks into the season. That was some guys saying Manning's lost his arm strength...and then they'd qualify that with "but he's still incredibly accurate."

I can't recall hearing one negative thing about TB aside from maybe him being too competitive. That's not really a knock.

I'm not biased. I'm a Broncos fan, but that doesn't attach me to Peyton, this is only his first season with the team. It has been this way for almost the last decade. The media are collectively in love with Peyton and Brady, but fans in general like Peyton and hate Brady.

Are you seriously telling me someone with a media credential has labeled Tom Brady as "not clutch," and a "system QB?"

A fan, sure. No one in the media. No analysts.

It's going to be a damn shame when Peterson loses out to the forehead and he will lose, make no mistake about it. all you need to know about the sportswriters and Manning is the fact that you had a few of them wanting to give him the MVP LAST YEAR when he didn't even freakin play. Its pathetic.

You can't blame them. Last year was proof that Manning was the only thing holding the Colts together. No other quarterback in the league could get that Colts team to the playoffs.

[/sarcasm]

For years Peyton fanboys in the media have been feeding us the narrative that Manning was solely responsible for his team's success, that the Colts wouldn't win a game without Manning, that each year Manning was dragging along a team of scrubs to the playoffs. This only got worse last year when the Colts threw the season, but now they're 11-5 with a rookie quarterback (a great quarterback, but a rookie nonetheless) and headed to the playoffs. The media doesn't seem to want to abandon the myth that Peyton is a God among men, tragically condemned to play on the worst team in the league, even though he's on a team that went to the playoffs with Tebow last year.

Peyton's one of the best quarterbacks to play the game, but he really hasn't done anything to deserve the resounding calls for MVP this season, except come back from an injury, but we have an award for that too.

It's going to be a damn shame when Peterson loses out to the forehead and he will lose, make no mistake about it. all you need to know about the sportswriters and Manning is the fact that you had a few of them wanting to give him the MVP LAST YEAR when he didn't even freakin play. Its pathetic.

I'll come back to this when Peterson wins. The "survey" had a 9-3 PM advantage with 6 voters undecided, saying they wanted to see how today's games went. In other words, they wanted to see if the Vikings could upset the Packers and make the playoffs, and if Peterson would be valuable in that win. All 6 of those votes will go to AP after today. Some of those 9 PM votes will probably sway towards AP after today too.

As a football fan, I'm confident Peterson will win it. There's way less "bias" going into these awards than you would think. Voters will vote for who they think the MVP was, with an unwritten rule that MVPs shouldn't be on teams not in the playoffs. Heading into today, AP wasn't a lock for the playoffs, hence the uncertainty.

If you take AP out of the mix, who should win the MVP? Sure...I'm a Broncos fan...I think without AP, Peyton is the MVP. Best record in the NFL #1 seed and highest rated QB in the NFL. Usually the award goes to a QB. Honestly, if I didn't know already that jealousy was half the reason people on here are so upset with Peyton even being in contention, I'd wonder what sport you guys are watching.

Just enjoy the game, we're privileged to be able to watch such talented guys play the sport.

2k yards and a playoff berth with a Christian Ponder at QB. Yeah I think AP has earned the MVP this year. If a RB can't win with this kind of season, than nobody can.

there's a thing called Ron Borges here in Boston...guess Denver fan has NEVER heard of him...and ESPN's Merrill Hoge...nah, they don't get that in Denver right?..,or Mark Schlereth? of course not...and Tom Jackson...nah...Denver fan never heard of him....

I can't recall hearing one negative thing about TB aside from maybe him being too competitive.

you post this preposterous garbage and then seek to minimize it...ridiculous...YOU know as well as all your bronco buddies ,all the hate filled screeds printed in YOUR newspapers over the past decade aimed at Tom Brady....I refuse to pollute this board with the reams of documented eastern hate bigotry you and the rest of the Mile High Weirdos Club propagate on a daily basis.

AP has this in the bag. He can't be denied for his legendary season. It will be a complete travesty if Peyton wins this award.

there's a thing called Ron Borges here in Boston...guess Denver fan has NEVER heard of him...and ESPN's Merrill Hoge...nah, they don't get that in Denver right?..,or Mark Schlereth? of course not...and Tom Jackson...nah...Denver fan never heard of him....

I can't recall hearing one negative thing about TB aside from maybe him being too competitive.

you post this preposterous garbage and then seek to minimize it...ridiculous...YOU know as well as all your bronco buddies ,all the hate filled screeds printed in YOUR newspapers over the past decade aimed at Tom Brady....I refuse to pollute this board with the reams of documented eastern hate bigotry you and the rest of the Mile High Weirdos Club propagate on a daily basis.

:rofl:

Guess I struck a nerve? I live in New England; you hear stuff all the time as a reaction to one play or one game. If you honestly believe that those guys don't think Tom Brady and PM are both elite QBs then you probably only listen to those shows on the bad days.

Regardless, I'm not going to get into an argument with someone who clearly has an ax to grind with PM. Don't let the jealousy dig into you too deep, buddy...Tom Brady is every bit as good. I've never understood the fans who hide behind the message boards trying to intimidate fans from other teams who aren't looking to cause any problems. All the respect in the world to the Pats, I'm surrounded by their fans and I'm not trying to start anything here...just pointing it out as I see it. Contrary to your belief, the media does happen to love Tom Brady too. :bricks:

If you take AP out of the mix, who should win the MVP? Sure...I'm a Broncos fan...I think without AP, Peyton is the MVP. Best record in the NFL #1 seed and highest rated QB in the NFL. Usually the award goes to a QB. Honestly, if I didn't know already that jealousy was half the reason people on here are so upset with Peyton even being in contention, I'd wonder what sport you guys are watching.

Just enjoy the game, we're privileged to be able to watch such talented guys play the sport.

Jealous of what? The Pats have beaten Peyton this year. They've beaten him all but once in the playoffs, and they'll beat him again. Honestly, whenever I feel down about the Pats blowing a Super Bowl opportunity, I just look at Peyton's career. Being the media's favorite son is nothing to envy. Championships are.

I'll come back to this when Peterson wins. The "survey" had a 9-3 PM advantage with 6 voters undecided, saying they wanted to see how today's games went. In other words, they wanted to see if the Vikings could upset the Packers and make the playoffs, and if Peterson would be valuable in that win. All 6 of those votes will go to AP after today. Some of those 9 PM votes will probably sway towards AP after today too.

As a football fan, I'm confident Peterson will win it. There's way less "bias" going into these awards than you would think. Voters will vote for who they think the MVP was, with an unwritten rule that MVPs shouldn't be on teams not in the playoffs. Heading into today, AP wasn't a lock for the playoffs, hence the uncertainty.

1) Simple enough. But we could argue that the QB who won head to head, has more total TDs, less turnovers, led the #1 offense in terms of scoring and total yards, and who has played much more quality competition (comapre the Patriots SOS and SOW versus that of the Broncos- its not even close) should be deserving of the MVP. Christ, the Pats had 2x, if not 3x, the amount of rushing TDs than the Broncos and TB still managed to have more touchdowns than Manning.

2) Yes, we're so jealous of Mannings MVPs in the regular season. Despite popular belief, his defense won him his only SB. Manning had 3 TDs and 7 INTs in the playoffs that year. Yet people claim Manning did everything on his own in Indy. That any quarterback not named PM would be doomed if they were in his position in Indy. However, there no mention that Tom Brady, if 1 of 2 plays had gone his way ( Welker drop, Manningham catch- not to mention all the fumbles that bounced NYG way) would have won the Super Bowl with the second worst defense in the HISTORY of the league.

I'm not jealous of anything the lesser Manning has done or will do...I just can't stand outright liars who make up all this lying garbage and then when confronted with evidence to the contrary, pulls out the ol' "your jealous!!!" diaper toss.

here...cram THIS down your lying,Peytie rump swabbing mouth...

“Bradying” mocks Patriots quarterback Tom Brady - NYPOST.com

Tebowing had been all the rage among NFL fans, who took a knee and bowed their heads in tribute to Denver’s QB.

Virtually every football fan outside New England is getting in on the act.

“Tebowing is so yesterday,” tweeted Jeff Verszyla, a Pittsburgh meteorologist.

“Bradying is the new thing.”

While Tebowing was at least partially respectful to the popular Broncos signal caller, Bradying is 100-percent roughing the quarterback.

again...stop trying to spread your peculiar brand of LIES...you're trolling our board and you don't even know if we will play each other again this year.

Jealous of what? The Pats have beaten Peyton this year. They've beaten him all but once in the playoffs, and they'll beat him again. Honestly, whenever I feel down about the Pats blowing a Super Bowl opportunity, I just look at Peyton's career. Being the media's favorite son is nothing to envy. Championships are.

Good point. If it's not jealousy, then what? What's the obsession with PM as a Pats fan...I honestly don't understand it.

1) Simple enough. But we could argue that the QB who won head to head, has more total TDs, less turnovers, led the #1 offense in terms of scoring and total yards, and who has played much more quality competition (comapre the Patriots SOS and SOW versus that of the Broncos- its not even close) should be deserving of the MVP. Christ, the Pats had 2x, if not 3x, the amount of rushing TDs than the Broncos and TB still managed to have more touchdowns than Manning.

You absolutely could make that argument. Brady actually had less TDs than Manning, but outside of that you're correct. The SOS for both teams is rather unimpressive, so I wouldn't really factor that in. Pats was .496, Denver's .457, and you could probably credit that for the one game difference in records. Pats did have 23 rushing TDs to Denver's 10 (not sure if that includes today's game), but Manning had 3 more TDs than Brady.

2) Yes, we're so jealous of Mannings MVPs in the regular season. Despite popular belief, his defense won him his only SB. Manning had 3 TDs and 7 INTs in the playoffs that year. Yet people claim Manning did everything on his own in Indy. That any quarterback not named PM would be doomed if they were in his position in Indy. However, there no mention that Tom Brady, if 1 of 2 plays had gone his way ( Welker drop, Manningham catch- not to mention all the fumbles that bounced NYG way) would have won the Super Bowl with the second worst defense in the HISTORY of the league.

What I'm getting is this; Pats fans are just pissed that Peyton is a finalist and Brady isn't. But like you said...who cares?!

The MVP is far from the be-all end-all of awards. Colts fans, Broncos fans, Peyton Manning...anyone...would trade what Peyton has for what Brady has. I hate the whole "1 or 2 plays away" argument, because if you used that you could go back to the Raiders snow game, or any Vinateri situation and say the other team was one play away too.

When it's all said and done, I pretty much guarantee AP will win the award, and I pretty much guarantee the Vikings will be a non-factor in the playoffs.

Brady, Manning...who the hell cares. They're both freakin great, and more likely than not, they'll be meeting each other for a chance to get to the super bowl. Probably the same thing next year too. That matters way more than a little MVP trophy. I'm just fascinated by why people have been making such a big deal of it.

I'm just fascinated by why people have been making such a big deal of it.

like they did when Brady was kneeling on the field last Super Bowl?? Me too...why the outright, biased, bigoted hatred??? I don't get it...never have....BTW Mr Objectivity...did Ben Watson knock the ball out of the end zone for a touchback or was that a real TD?

Let's hear your "unbiased" take...

In the last 20 years the MVP has been awarded to a QB 16 times. Of those 16 winners, 14 won the award being the highest rated passer in the league starting all 16 games. Only Peyton and Favre, have won the award without being the highest rated passer. One of Favre's 3 MVPs was won that way, 3 of Peyton's 4 MVPs were won that way. Must be nice to win the MVP without being the statistically the best.

Good point. If it's not jealousy, then what? What's the obsession with PM as a Pats fan...I honestly don't understand it.

He's our long time rival... You don't constantly examine your team's rivals?

And I haven't heard many Pats fans in this thread insult Peyton personally. I think we have more of a problem with the knob slobbering he gets from the media.

Last edited:
In the last 20 years the MVP has been awarded to a QB 16 times. Of those 16 winners, 14 won the award being the highest rated passer in the league starting all 16 games. Only Peyton and Favre, have won the award without being the highest rated passer. One of Favre's 3 MVPs was won that way, 3 of Peyton's 4 MVPs were won that way. Must be nice to win the MVP without being the statistically the best.

Not sure if true, but if so...

Peterson without a doubt; dragged a team that should be in the running for the #1 pick to the POs.

The MVP is far from the be-all end-all of awards. Colts fans, Broncos fans, Peyton Manning...anyone...would trade what Peyton has for what Brady has. I hate the whole "1 or 2 plays away" argument, because if you used that you could go back to the Raiders snow game, or any Vinateri situation and say the other team was one play away too.

Sure we can go back to the Raiders game. The game that we won because of a rule that is written in the NFL rules, and was rightfully called, even though the justification was wrong.

Last edited:
Sure we can go back to the Raiders game. The game that we won because of a rule that is written in the NFL rules, and was rightfully called, even though the justification was wrong.

You get my point though...any one or two plays by another team could've resulted in a Pats loss all those times too. I just find the "what if" argument in general to be weak because of all the ifs on both sides.

He's our long time rival... You don't constantly examine your team's rivals?

And I haven't heard many Pats fans in this thread insult Peyton personally. I think we have more of a problem with the knob slobbering he gets from the media.

I do. Fortunately for us, Phillip Rivers has taken all the fun out of it by regressing into an awful quarterback.

I said it before, Peyton's just a more likable than Brady is because of his role in popular culture, in commercials, etc. It just seemed to me as if people are outright offended that he's an MVP candidate.

I'm just fascinated by why people have been making such a big deal of it.

like they did when Brady was kneeling on the field last Super Bowl?? Me too...why the outright, biased, bigoted hatred??? I don't get it...never have....BTW Mr Objectivity...did Ben Watson knock the ball out of the end zone for a touchback or was that a real TD?

Let's hear your "unbiased" take...

For the last time, I'm not here to get into a fight with you.

Calling the Brady kneeling "outright, biased, bigoted hatred" is a laughable overreaction to a one week comedic trend. It was funny, people laughed...two weeks later everyone moved on. People make cartoons emphasizing Peyton's big head. Why? Because it's funny. People laugh. It's as simple as that and totally unrelated to the talent level of either of them.

Re the Watson-Champ play: It looked to me like he knocked the ball out of the end zone for a safety, but there definitely wasn't enough evidence to overturn the call on the field. Being objective, I'll say honestly I think there was a 60% chance that the correct call was a touchback. As a fan of football though, you should be able to admit that's not enough to have overturned the call.

There are two instances off the top of my head that were 100% the wrong call and blatantly obvious, resulting in a game changing call. The Broncos-Chargers Hochuli call game that we shouldn't have won (in the end, we blew the division anyway and the Chargers ultimately won it...no harm, no foul), and the Packers-Seahawks game that ultimately cost the Packers a first round bye this year. Unless they win it all, they'll probably always be able to complain about that.

I'm sure there are more, but those are the two that immediately come to my mind. The Watson call may very well have been the incorrect call, but given the call on the field and the replay technology available to the refs, there's no way they could've overturned it...and even if they did, no proof that that single handedly cost the Pats the game.

Don't worry guys, even when there's a clear better choice, they can always give Manning the "co-MVP" again. :mad:

you must be a bubble boy...the Watson play was a touchback...ONE HUNDRED PER CENT photographic evidence...try Cold Hard Football Facts.

and stop spinning your story...YOU said Brady is treated just like Manning...you're trolling...the exact opposite is not only well known to be, it is celebrated by crap kicking midwestern bigots, and perpetuated by the ESPN agenda drivers.

I'm sure there are more, but those are the two that immediately come to my mind. The Watson call may very well have been the incorrect call, but given the call on the field and the replay technology available to the refs, there's no way they could've overturned it...and even if they did, no proof that that single handedly cost the Pats the game.

I just love how you lying Orange trolls just breeze right by the P.I. call on Samuel that cost the Pats a TD and the other "well that's just the way they viewed it with dee cameras all dee doo dah day" on the CLEAR INT by Samuel....all of these plays came in tHAT game...a good old fashioned midwestern "fixer" special filled with "oh well, he heh... we dint have all them new fangled camras or angles...har har har"...please. ....you are attempting to urinate down our backs and persist in telling us it's only rain...

24100193.jpg

Last edited:
you must be a bubble boy...the Watson play was a touchback...ONE HUNDRED PER CENT photographic evidence...try Cold Hard Football Facts.

and stop spinning your story...YOU said Brady is treated just like Manning...you're trolling...the exact opposite is not only well known to be, it is celebrated by crap kicking midwestern bigots, and perpetuated by the ESPN agenda drivers.

Whatever helps you sleep at night man.:rolleyes:

I'm sorry you hate all Broncos fans because we ended your dynasty unfairly, I guess. If you're ever interested in having an actual football discussion without just tossing out insults and crying bias, I'll be here for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes