Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I can remember the consistent posts went Vinatieri left amounting to:

"Yeah, tell me that when we lose because we can make a last minute FG"

Last night we saw 'The Replacement" make a 54 yd FG, that Vinatieri would have had zero chance of making at this stage of his career, in fact BB would have punted from there based on last seasons decisions.

How will we feel when Gostkowski mkaes a FG to win a game that Vinatieri couldnt have?

By the way that would have been good from 55 :)

AndyJohnson said:

Last night we saw 'The Replacement" make a 54 yd FG, that Vinatieri would have had zero chance of making at this stage of his career, in fact BB would have punted from there based on last seasons decisions.

How will we feel when Gostkowski mkaes a FG to win a game that Vinatieri couldnt have?

He hit a 53 yarder in a game with the Colts.

That was in a dome! Not at Gillette

Neither was Gots it was at Giants stadium in August. Not exactly extreme conditions. No?

You'll get no arguments from me re: Gostkowski. Vinatieri isn't getting younger, kids.

Excellent Point!

I think this is one of the most exciting things that came out of camp. This kid looks real good. Will there be bumps in the road? Probably. But, the kid can kick and hopefully what appeared to be a tremendous loss, doesn't hurt us as much as we expected!

August makes it a little easier, but Giants Stadium is hardly an easy place to kick, no matter what time of year it is.

patsox23 said:
August makes it a little easier, but Giants Stadium is hardly an easy place to kick, no matter what time of year it is.

Trust me I am not making light of what he did and I agree the wind at Giants stadium is difficult especially in the winter months. But to say that Adam doesn't have a chance at making that kick is little bit of a stretch and then to have my post countered with "it was in a dome" seemed a little funny. That's all. For the record I wanted the Pats to draft Gotskowski.

patsox23 said:

Also radio said it was into the wind.

Vinatieri was great here. Long live Gostkowski!

AndyJohnson said:

It looked like he had about 3 yards to spare so it was probably good from 57 or 58...

Last edited:
SCPatBoy said:
That was in a dome! Not at Gillette

I didn't see the game, but the Meadowlands is notirously hard place to kick especially if you are kicking towards the end that has a tunnel, (it's the end that doesn't face the Highway if you have ever been there).

So yes a 54 yarder at the Medowlands is much more impressive than any kick in the RCA Dome.

mgcolby said:
Trust me I am not making light of what he did and I agree the wind at Giants stadium is difficult especially in the winter months. But to say that Adam doesn't have a chance at making that kick is little bit of a stretch and then to have my post countered with "it was in a dome" seemed a little funny. That's all. For the record I wanted the Pats to draft Gotskowski.

Sorry, but there is absolutely no way Vinatieri of 2006 makes THAT kick. He just does not have the leg.

My main point was here is another example that what you get from the guy you don't know is not by definition worse than what you get from the guy you do know.

By the way, the 53yarder in Indy couldnt have been last year because they played in Gillete. I dont remember, how long as was that? And since last year BB elected to punt from inside 50 a few times, (which he never did in the past) its a safe bet that Vinaitieri has lost distance on his range.

Sure there was a time when he could have made that kick, but it isnt 2006, and it wasnt 2005 either.

AndyJohnson said:
Sorry, but there is absolutely no way Vinatieri of 2006 makes THAT kick. He just does not have the leg.

My main point was here is another example that what you get from the guy you don't know is not by definition worse than what you get from the guy you do know.

I won't go that far, I agree his leg is diminished and he never really had a huge leg to begin with but to each his own.

Now, I 100% agree with your second statement.

Last edited:
AndyJohnson said:
By the way, the 53yarder in Indy couldnt have been last year because they played in Gillete. I dont remember, how long as was that? And since last year BB elected to punt from inside 50 a few times, (which he never did in the past) its a safe bet that Vinaitieri has lost distance on his range.

Sure there was a time when he could have made that kick, but it isnt 2006, and it wasnt 2005 either.

No he hit it this preseason in STL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=260810014

Last edited:
I have to assume Adam can still make the big kick until he proves he cannot. I'll stick with the trend...

AndyJohnson said:

couldn't agree more.
BB/pioli do a great job of continually upgrading the roster.

yes, sometimes it's scary to let go of a big name, but I don't lack faith that they will soon be replaced by someone as good if not better.

love our new kicker already!

Bella*chick said:
You'll get no arguments from me re: Gostkowski. Vinatieri isn't getting younger, kids.

People look on Vinatiere with some rose colored glasses. Sure, he will go down as the clutchest kicker of all time but we forget that...

a) he was fortunate his team was able to put him in the position each time
b) he missed two field goals in XLI which would've made it unneccessary for him to kick a game winner in the first place
c) he missed a kick in the Denver game last season that would've put us within 7 points in the 4th quarter.

I love Adam, but he's not perfect and I'm not worried about the Pats without him.

For those of us who are sick of the I told you so's and the bitterness, thanks - this was a priceless exchange.

AndyJohnson said:

mgcolby said:
No he hit it this preseason in STL.

Somewhat off topic but did anyone else find it at all gratifying that the cowboys laid out the big bucks for Vanderjerk, who just missed two 30+ yd overtime field goals that would have won the last meaningless game of preseason, but forced it to go all the way to a tie? Talk about making friends in the locker room!

I for one didn't really care about Adam as much as McGinest, and I'm also excited about the new guy. He has to be good if BB picked him in the 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes