PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Surprise Stars this year?

He had 41 tackles (combined) and 4 interceptions in his rookie year, on a productivity scale he was just as good as Barron and Smith who went ahead of him in the draft. So I do not think he was a bust at all. Those are impressive rookie statistics for a 1st year DB who was not a starter.

I think Adrian Wilson will be used primarily at safety in the box on early downs against rushing teams, and as a hybrid LB in dime packages, for that reason I think there will still be plenty of opportunity for Tavon Wilson, also keep in mind he will play 275-300 ST snaps which should yield him 10 tackles. In terms of interceptions I think he has shown a knack for being in the right place at the right time.

Missed this before i posted but that's exactly how i see it. T. Wilson was something of a project at Safety because he had only played it for 1 year in college, and only then to help his team because he was a CB who changed positions his senior year out of team need. this season will be a big one for him and we will have a much better idea at the end of it as to whether or not he was the prospect belichick thought he was coming out of college.

I will ask the question; if Thompkins was not arrested more times than Ryan Leaf what type of draft pick do you think he would of been?

Fans are psychotic.

The very same fans who demanded that Dennard be cut for a presumed DUI, and did not want any "bad apples" on the team. The same Fans will criticize Amendola as brittle; and Ras_I as "Glass_I" and want them cut.

These fans will cheer for a gangsta named Thompkins, with a rap sheet a mile long; and rush to proclaim Zach Sudfield who only plays every SIXTH year, as wonderful additions.

Now perhaps Kenbril and Zach are over their past histories; and are now model, healthy, citizen football players. We shall see.

Fans are psychotic.

Fans are psychotic.

who you callin' a psycho????

0000174_evil-joker-face_300.jpeg

Casey Hayward

Year Team G Total Tkl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def
2012 Green Bay Packers 16 53 40.0 13 0 6 81 13.5 24 0 20

Packers made our draft day trading look silly again.

First it was with the Chad Jackson/Greg Jennings deals.

Then it was with Clay Mathews.

And now with Casey Hayward.

Yeah, draft trades always look silly when you only mention the players they got and not the players we got. Great work.

The Patriots have drafted better than the Packers the past 5 years.

You also conveniently left out how Clay Matthews would be a terrible fit for us, is overrated anyways, and we got Gronkowski for him. You know, the TE that could go down as the GOAT.

I'd be more surprised to see Tavon Wilson have a good season than to see him get cut. He was awful last season and by all reports has been awful in camp.

-Edelman will have a good season.
-McCourty is still underrated somehow.
-Don't think you can say Vereen would be a surprise. He's expected and counted on to have a big year replacing Woodheads snaps plus his own he got.

I'd be more surprised to see Tavon Wilson have a good season than to see him get cut. He was awful last season and by all reports has been awful in camp.

Now THAT, I agree with.

lmao-You must make a fortune picking cherries. The Patriots and Ravens have been the 2 best teams in football in terms of drafting over the past decade. And the Patriots have done it despite racking up 10 wins or more for a decade. Your take on the Patriots Draft's is total crap and hubris.

The Patriots have drafted better than the Packers the past 5 years.

You also conveniently left out how Clay Matthews would be a terrible fit for us, is overrated anyways, and we got Gronkowski for him. You know, the TE that could go down as the GOAT.

-Edelman will have a good season.
-McCourty is still underrated somehow.
-Don't think you can say Vereen would be a surprise. He's expected and counted on to have a big year replacing Woodheads snaps plus his own he got.

T. Wilson had 4 picks and over 40 tackles, he was actually one of the most productive rookie safeties in the league and you will have to show us with some proof those who were better, and Heyward was a CB, not a safety.

Prove away.

Yeah, draft trades always look silly when you only mention the players they got and not the players we got. Great work.

You will have to excuse Mr drake, he is unfortunately one of those draftniks who believes that watching youtube clips and reciting blurbs from Mel Kiper makes him more knowledgeable than the patriots scouting staff and Belichik. he couldn't be morw wrong but that will never stop him from shrieking about how right he is on his picked cherries.

T. Wilson had 4 picks and over 40 tackles, he was actually one of the most productive rookie safeties in the league and you will have to show us with some proof those who were better, and Heyward was a CB, not a safety.

Prove away.

On balance Tavon Wilson had a productive rookie season. One game stands out in my memory of Tavon Wilson getting torched and being so out of position it cost the Patriots the game - Seattle.

Their rookie Wilson targeted New England's rookie Wilson. It's very hard to watch from the 1:16 mark on in this Wilson highlight video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0jexOBTgmg

I could see any of Vereen, Cannon, Collins, Dennard, or even Tavon Wilson coming out of nowhere and playing at a Pro Bowl level. Wilson probably not because he's not in line for a starting role, but if Gregory is cut, he's one injury from starting and performed exactly like you would expect a second round rookie to last season. It's perfectly conceivable that he could develop into a very good starting safety.

I have to respectfully disagree in terms of the 2012 draft.

Packers
Perry
Worthy
Heyward
Daniels
McMillan
Datko
Colman

Patriots
Jones
Hightower
Wilson
Bequette
Ebner
Dennard
Ebert

I'd rather have our draft class any day of the week.

On balance Tavon Wilson had a productive rookie season. One game stands out in my memory of Tavon Wilson getting torched and being so out of position it cost the Patriots the game - Seattle.

Their rookie Wilson targeted New England's rookie Wilson. It's very hard to watch from the 1:16 mark on in this Wilson highlight video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0jexOBTgmg

It took the entire Patriots team to squander that game, and as it turned out seattle was much better than we thought going into it. Wilson made a big mistake but he was far from alone in making mistakes that day.

I am in no way arguing that Wilson was a pro bowl player last year, and like pretty much everyone said WTF when they took him in the 2nd round, however if he had actually been as bad as his detractors claim then he never would have made the team or played a down, and yet when he ends up starting a number of games, getting alot of reps with the first team defense, and picking off 4 passes with over 40 tackles his bashers still want to claim they were right and he sucked when the actual evidence from the season was that they were dead wrong. This coming season will tell us much more about how good or bad a player he is and i will wait until it's done to re-evaluate him, at this point he was a solid pick, not much more than that. If belichick was right then we should know by the end of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady6
I seriously see know reason that Aaron Dobson with Tom Brady throwing him the football cannot have similar production to the 65 receptions, 1057 yards, and 7 touchdowns that AJ Green had

Tony,

Is it really necessary to have my post quote as your signature? Every player starts the season with zeros? I do not see the need to bring my predication into every conversation you have in every thread you post in?

We both said are piece in that thread. I'd appreciate it if you showed me the same level of respect that I show you and not continuously make a mockery out of my posts.

There is NO WAY I'm letting Bleacher Report "steal" by binkie Josh Boyce. He's my BINKIE period and he will emerge as a star this year. You heard it here first...err...2nd....but really 1st. :)

It took the entire Patriots team to squander that game, and as it turned out seattle was much better than we thought going into it. Wilson made a big mistake but he was far from alone in making mistakes that day.

I am in no way arguing that Wilson was a pro bowl player last year, and like pretty much everyone said WTF when they took him in the 2nd round, however if he had actually been as bad as his detractors claim then he never would have made the team or played a down, and yet when he ends up starting a number of games, getting alot of reps with the first team defense, and picking off 4 passes with over 40 tackles his bashers still want to claim they were right and he sucked when the actual evidence from the season was that they were dead wrong. This coming season will tell us much more about how good or bad a player he is and i will wait until it's done to re-evaluate him, at this point he was a solid pick, not much more than that. If belichick was right then we should know by the end of the season.

No disagreement with anything you said. I actually like Tavon Wilson a lot and hope he sticks. Continuity in a defensive backfield is important. The thing I liked about him coming out of Illinois was that he was a leader on that team and was known for his ability to read an offense and call defensive sets. He saw how much faster the NFL is and how elite all of the players are. I expect a solid second season if he makes the team. He'll benefit from being in the same positional grouping with Adrian Wilson, Steve Gregory and Devin McCourty this year.

Overall, I like this defensive backfield a lot with Talib, Dennard, Arrington and probably rookie Logan Ryan at corner and the four guys above at Safety. six out of eight will be in their second season together. the only old-timer is Adrian Wilson.

Ras-I Dowling is the biggest wild card in the group. If he's got the goods, it's time to step up. I think he gets cut late in camp unless Dennard screws up again.

I stick by my guns that Dennard is unreliable off the field and should be let go or traded. His timing for pulling a bone-headed move couldn't be worse.

My surprise stars are Jake Bequette at LDE and Josh Boyce at WR.

Bequette is looking big and strong out there. With the size that Chandler Jones put on, and Bequette, Wilfork and Kelly I think we might finally have that four man pass rush we've been wanting for so long. I could see Bequette leap frogging Ninkovich in the 4-3 and Ninkovich becoming a situational on the line LB.

I think Boyce is the prototypical WR for our system in the lines of Deion Branch. I think he's going to make us forget about trying to sign Emmanuel Sanders and not drafting Markus Wheaton.

I'd also nominate Michael Buchanan but if he's a surprise star that likely means Chandler Jones got injured again :(

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back