PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Surprise of the 2010 TC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPatsFan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
It is pleasant to have to nominate not just one or even two "Surprises" of the 2010 Patriots training camp.

#1) Julian Edelman's progress, into a full time, first string threat.

#2) Terrance Wheatly's return to health and return from the grave. The Patriots now have the pleasant possibility of having not two, nor three, but four, 4, F-O-U-R, first string CBs for their secondary, with a fifth who is still able, but seems over matched in comparison.

#3) Brandon Tate's play as a sophomore, or really a rookie, at WR. He is banishing Holt, to the HOF.

#4) Taylor Price's play at WR. For a small school pick, he is much more advanced than most rookie WRs.

#5) Gerrard Warren signed for less, but has outplayed Damione Lewis. But Lewis is not playing badly, at all. So we add the play of both of the vet, former first round, FA, defensive linemen.

#6) Pat Chung's play has clearly moved him into taking the SS, in-the-box, Safety position, over competent but not starring competition.

#7) Dan Connelly's play at LG. He is showing that he isn't only a scrub reserve, but is he a real starter.

#8) Rich Ohrnberger's play shows we may have the C/G reserve we need.

#9) Brandon Spike's play has made him the undisputed starter at SILB, but that was not really a surprise. UDFA Dane Fletcher's play makes five ILBs.

#10) Wes Welker's rapid return to health is astonishing and surprising.

#11)Grounkowski, Hernadez and Crumpler are talented TEs. Will Tom Brady throw to them?

#12) Logan Mankin's holdout, after Belichick chose to let Seymour go, in order to pay and keep both him and Wilfork is the real surprise, and the only possibly negative one.

#13) With this many positive surprises it is easy to say that Bill Belichick is succeeding in compressing a Five Year rebuilding Plan, into a mere two seasons. Is that so SURPRISING, when you think about it?

A last note that doesn't apply to the Pat's TC expressly. We knew and expected the JESTER's to brag and declare themselves the March Super Bowl Champs; we did not expect every single one of the Mediots to jump aboard their bandwagon. But we also did not expect it all to end so ignominiously, in the very first play, of the very first Preseason game!

Last edited:
Lots of choices, but I think Welker's return is the most impressive. I'm not 100% surprised he'll be back and play effectively this season, but I am pleasantly surprised by how quickly and what (so far) appears to be a 100% return of his skill set and nimble speed and quickness.

I think the biggest surprise for me (tempering this with the "it's only been one game disclaimer") is the play thus far of Gerard Warren. When we brought him in, I didn't think much of it, figured he'd be decent depth and maybe compete for some running down duty opposite Ty. I saw a lot of good things from him, both run and pass, in the Saints game. If he keeps that up, it's huge.

I vote for Wheatley, a guy most of us had written off. Coming into the league, he seemed mighty promising -- a terrific athlete with top intangibles. If he's healthy enough to finally come through on that promise, the secondary could be amazing.

Certainly plenty to be excited about from that list I am not sure if some deserve to be considered suprises especially the ones about the rookies and second year players.

2, 5 , and 10 seem like good ones though and I will add another suprise and that is the play of Marques Murrell. I am not saying he is the next Vrable but when we signed him I thought he would compete for STs and thats it and to see him competing for the OLB role and even flashing some skills there is a suprise to me.

It is pleasant to have to nominate not just one or even two "Surprises" of the 2010 Patriots training camp.

#1) Julian Edelman's progress, into a full time, first string threat.

#2) Terrance Wheatly's return to health and return from the grave. The Patriots now have the pleasant possibility of having not two, nor three, but four, 4, F-O-U-R, first string CBs for their secondary, with a fifth who is still able, but seems over matched in comparison.

#3) Brandon Tate's play as a sophomore, or really a rookie, at WR. He is banishing Holt, to the HOF.

#4) Taylor Price's play at WR. For a small school pick, he is much more advanced than most rookie WRs.

#5) Gerrard Warren signed for less, but has outplayed Damione Lewis. But Lewis is not playing badly, at all. So we add the play of both of the vet, former first round, FA, defensive linemen.

#6) Pat Chung's play has clearly moved him into taking the SS, in-the-box, Safety position, over competent but not starring competition.

#7) Dan Connelly's play at LG. He is showing that he isn't only a scrub reserve, but is he a real starter.

#8) Rich Ohrnberger's play shows we may have the C/G reserve we need.

#9) Brandon Spike's play has made him the undisputed starter at SILB, but that was not really a surprise. UDFA Dane Fletcher's play makes five ILBs.

#10) Wes Welker's rapid return to health is astonishing and surprising.

#11)Grounkowski, Hernadez and Crumpler are talented TEs. Will Tom Brady throw to them?

#12) Logan Mankin's holdout, after Belichick chose to let Seymour go, in order to pay and keep both him and Wilfork is the real surprise, and the only possibly negative one.

#13) With this many positive surprises it is easy to say that Bill Belichick is succeeding in compressing a Five Year rebuilding Plan, into a mere two seasons. Is that so SURPRISING, when you think about it?

A last note that doesn't apply to the Pat's TC expressly. We knew and expected the JESTER's to brag and declare themselves the March Super Bowl Champs; we did not expect every single one of the Mediots to jump aboard their bandwagon. But we also did not expect it all to end so ignominiously, in the very first play, of the very first Preseason game!

What's really going to be funny is the chat in one of the gameday threads where the Patriots are losing. I'd wager that over half the names on this list will be tossed out there as guys that are a "bust", "costing us the game" or "need to be cut". It's sad, but unfortunately it's gonna happen.

Lots of choices, but I think Welker's return is the most impressive. I'm not 100% surprised he'll be back and play effectively this season, but I am pleasantly surprised by how quickly and what (so far) appears to be a 100% return of his skill set and nimble speed and quickness.

This

10 Char

Nice list. Many reasons to be optimistic 3+ weeks before the games start for real. (Seems like forEVah)

What about guys who might surprise by making the team? I keep seeing Sergio's Brown name as a possibility. Many positive reports on his ST play. Reiss today said he could sneak his way onto the active roster.

Patriots mailbag contains lots of questions about injuries - ESPN Boston

And other than injuries I can't think of any disappointments so far. Some might say Zac R, but he seems to be about what most people here expected.

My surprise of TC is the injuries.

It seems to have started with the Briuns last year, Savard, Sturm, Krejec, Thomas etc. etc. etc.

Then it hit the Celts, Garnett, Perkins, etc..

The injury bug picked up steam, went into over drive and decimated the Sox. Youk, Pedey, Becket, Varitek, Vmart, Ellsbury, Buchholz, etc. etc. etc.

And now Patriots are falling like grains of wheat at harvest time.

If only we could send this bug to New York for a permanent vacation and leave us alone.

I hope all of our promising DBs are healthy for once. It seems every year we lose half of them to injury before the Colts game and are undermanned.

Never thought I'd be saying this, but with the stable of WR's the Pats currently have....and the play of Edelman.....Wes can be eased back into the lineup.....no rush to push him too hard to play....he will be a real asset later on in the season.....Welker and Edelman running opposing DB's into the ground.:D

I like 2, 9, and 11. When was the last time we had a decent secondary?

SURPRISES
Welker and Wheatley.

What about guys who might surprise by making the team? I keep seeing Sergio's Brown name as a possibility.

Yep, fwiw he's my current player 53.

Edit: The 3 names on my current roster projection who weren't on many rosters pre-camp are Brown, Murrell & Bussey.

Last edited:
Brown was going to be my choice for this thread but I figured someone would yell at me because he's not officially on the team. Yet. :D

Next year we get Richard Seymour v.2 with that Oakland pick, an interior OL/OLB with our other 1st and Carolina's 2nd, and the team is all but set if they can contribute immediately like Seymour/Light in 2001.

To answer your question Tate is the biggest suprise to me, I didn't expect him to contribute a whole lot until midway through the season. Now I feel like he's going to step in opposite Moss right away and do a solid job.

Never thought I'd be saying this, but with the stable of WR's the Pats currently have....and the play of Edelman.....Wes can be eased back into the lineup.....no rush to push him too hard to play....he will be a real asset later on in the season.....Welker and Edelman running opposing DB's into the ground.:D

The surprise of camp is Welker's amazing recovery AND the fact that we don't need him anyway... :D

Okay we do need him, but not as badly as we thought.

I agree with most of the OP's list:

1. Welker! Do I really need to say more?

2. Tate. Everything I've read suggests that this kid was, in fact, a draft steal and only fell as far down as he did because of injury.

3. Spikes. Wow, another pick that fell because of a perceived deficiency (40 time). He seems like the real deal and will most-likely be the opening day starter on the inside with Mayo.

4. Hoyer. If this kid continues to learn and process information from BB and Brady, I really think the sky is the limit for him. He has shown poise and accuracy. He seems to make good decisions and, most importantly, I think he's up on Tom in the trash can drill. :)

5. Terrence Wheatley. I am so glad to hear good things coming out of camp about this kid. Can you imagine if all of the corners develop as we hope they will? We'll have four top-flight corners to put on the field at any given time. What other team, besides maybe the Jets, can say that about their secondary. The B-more Ravens are holding their secondary together with tape and glue.

I wish I could say what Edelman has done was a surprise, but it really wasn't. We saw flashes of this last year. He's a real threat. We know that, but I hope the rest of the league hasn't caught on yet. Imagine what it will be like when both he and Wes are on the field at the same time!

On the flip side, I hate what happened with Holt. I really really wanted him to make the final roster. I am also very disappointed at the turn of events for Ty Warren. I wish him the best.

Next year we get Richard Seymour v.2 with that Oakland pick, an interior OL/OLB with our other 1st and Carolina's 2nd, and the team is all but set if they can contribute immediately like Seymour/Light in 2001.

I agree 100%.
Oakland's 1st (DE)
NE's 1st, Carolina's 2nd, and NE's 2nd (OLB, OL, and RB)

We got Bingo!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey