PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Surprise move?? Try to call it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) A combo of Wheatley, Wilhite and Sanders (take any 2) to the NY Giants for either Chris Canty (DE) or Usi Umenyiora (DE/OLB)

2) A 3rd for Shawn Merrimen

3) Ninkovich gets cut, not a shocker, just calling it now.

4) Some combination of Wheatley, Wilhite, Sanders or a draft pick to the Packers for Jason Spitz (G/C)

Last edited:
Because everyone seems to want to trade Wheatley or cut him. I think Wheatley is well ahead of Wilhite. It seems that Wilhite has not improved one bit over the years; he is still a step or two behind every receiver or out of position or unable/unwilling to deliver a pop. This must be wearing thin on BB.

or maybe it is what it is. Whilhite was drafted in the fourth for a reason compared to the 2nd for wheatly (who also lost a season to the wrist injury).

Seems to me what happened is that Whilhite reached his potential or close to it already while Wheatly did not develope so quickly but still has or had room to grow and can or has outgrown whilhite. By reached I mean relative to their experience as any player can always continue to improve.

Re: Surprise move?? Try to call it......

Said it once, say it again.... I think they may dump Crumpler. I just have a gut feeling....

There's no way Crumpler is getting cut. He's going to be essential to protecting Brady's blind side this season. If anything, the surprise move will be shipping Mankins somewhere.

1) A combo of Wheatley, Wilhite and Sanders (take any 2) to the NY Giants for either Chris Canty (DE) or Usi Umenyiora (DE/OLB)

2) A 3rd for Shawn Merrimen

3) Ninkovich gets cut, not a shocker, just calling it now.

4) Some combination of Wheatley, Wilhite, Sanders or a draft pick to the Packers for Jason Spitz (G/C)

These trades seem more like baseball trades. In the NFL player-for-player trades are rarely done and almost never work out well.

Personnel issues are radically different in the NFL compared to baseball. In baseball players have long careers and can be traded like cards. Also a well stocked baseball team can go into the next season with the same players and do reasonably well. This does not work in the NFL; standing pat with the same players year after year is a disaster; a team has to be continually upgraded just to stay at the same level of play. Used football players are rarely worth much because of age and hidden injuries and teams are dis-inclined to take chances with someone else's discards.

I'm not a Maroney-hater, but I'll just get them wee-wee'd up with this one:

Your New England Patriots starting running back: Fred Taylor. :D

Last edited:
These trades seem more like baseball trades. In the NFL player-for-player trades are rarely done and almost never work out well.

Personnel issues are radically different in the NFL compared to baseball. In baseball players have long careers and can be traded like cards. Also a well stocked baseball team can go into the next season with the same players and do reasonably well. This does not work in the NFL; standing pat with the same players year after year is a disaster; a team has to be continually upgraded just to stay at the same level of play. Used football players are rarely worth much because of age and hidden injuries and teams are dis-inclined to take chances with someone else's discards.

I agree, won't happen, not realistic but with the late cutdown dates there will be a few more trades than usual. Take these as totally uneducated random guesses and it will help with the context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back