Welcome to PatsFans.com

Surprise: Britain Despises Obama

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Wolfpack, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Whatever happened to all those liberals who told us that as soon as we elected a liberal who would beg everyone's forgiveness for all of America's sins, then everyone in the world would love us?

Barack Obama: the most unpopular man in Britain? – Telegraph Blogs

What a difference 18 months and an oil spill makes. In January 2009 Barack Obama was hugely popular on this side of the Atlantic, and could have walked on water in the eyes of the British media, the political elites, and the general public. In June 2010 however he probably qualifies as the most despised US president since Nixon among the British people. In fact you can’t open a London paper at this time without reading yet another fiery broadside against a leader who famously boasted of restoring “America’s standing” in the world.

When even Obama’s most ardent political supporters in Britain, including Boris Johnson, are on the offensive against the White House, you know the president’s halo has dramatically slipped. It’s hard to believe that any politician could become more disliked in the UK than Gordon Brown, but Barack Obama is achieving that in spades. And as Janet Daley noted of the British press, the love affair with Barack is well and truly over.

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

BUMP...

Please ONLY Wolf respond to this so I can read more about what he thinks.

I'll be hitting F5 (refresh) almost constantly on these and other threads to find out...

Its like curling up with a Grisham....

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

He Has Such A Lovely Smile
    Democrats Used To Faint When He Blew His Nose
    He's White

4. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

yes...well said indeed Harry....but I wonder what Wolfpark thinks about this?...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  5. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +673 / 6 / -9

Talk about a disingenuous thread title. Once again, we see evidence of Wolfpack's difficulty with the truth.

What you should've written was "Right-wing British Obama-hater cites other right-wing British Obama-hater as evidence Britons hate Obama."

Survey: Obama's more popular abroad than at home - CNN.com

Swing and a miss.

6. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

JBeez,

I appreciate the fact that you are pointing out the slant here, obviously...but It woudl seem that YOUR posting is really taking away from all of us on this board being able to read more from Wolfpark.

Lets close our eyes, and pray together that he contributes more to this thread.

(moment of silence)

7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +371 / 11 / -28

But, but the biased Telegraph interviewed 5 people in the pub...

Perhaps if the US stopped its "Shameful Shakedown of BP" they would love us more...

Why can't we all get along..

8. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Probably interviewed them after the US UK World Cup match.

9. Rossmci90

Rossmci90 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

When did the UK start competing in international football (soccer) as one nation? :confused:

10. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

hahaha.....my bad...

I've been dealing with a TON of UK related projects at work, and have been throwing the term around a bunch, just confusion thats all....

thanks for keeping me in check

11. Ciara's Dad

Ciara's Dad On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

As far as I'm aware, most people in the UK agree with what B.O is saying and doing. Why wouldn't we? If it were our shorelines and environment f****d up by an oil company, UK owned or otherwise, we'd like to wring out every last penny out of them if they have been found to be at fault.

This is one of the most disingenuous posts I've ever read on here. And there have been a few imho! :D

12. pherein

pherein In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Im not getting the same message from the UK Ciara's Dad. The general sense I get from the posters of these newspapers and a number of others I read, is that Obama is not experienced enough and they seem to see BP as a British company, have no idea why, its not really.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/business/industries/naturalresources/article2558851.ece

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...oes-great-britain-think-about-gulf-spill.html

13. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

I haven't heard one iota of anti-British sentiment except for news organazations that seem to want it to be. BP doesn't represent the British government or its people. On the other hand i just got through reading some highly anti-American comments on the BBC web site claiming that BP and Tony Hayward did nothing wrong it was and American rig (wrong) run by Americans. I was really shocked by he comments.

14. Scouse Patriot

Scouse Patriot 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Some are starting to find the use of "British Petroleum" loaded. The name British Petroleum was dropped following the merger with Amoco, it's official name is BP and has been for a long time. The company is very much multinational with big American interest and the fact U.S officials keep calling it British Petroleum is stirring nests. Theres just been a ton of discussion over U.S officials wording in this on UK tv, one congressman even found the need to correct himself I believe. Personally my skin's a bit thicker but it's gaining attention.

Majority of the British view this for what it is, a major enviromental disaster. We see the pictures of birds, turtles and the beaches soaked in oil, it's hugely sad. However, BP do not represent the British people and the British, by and large, side and sympathise with the U.S in their blame of the company at this moment in time. Theres actualy Brits protesting against BP.

Helen Mirren however, was largely ridiculed after her cringeworthy remarks on Letterman the daft bint. After a new role are we?

15. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +687 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Nothing new. BBC isn't exactly a pro-American forum.

That's an interesting statement, don't you think? What does "doing the right thing" mean? For whose interests? If these people like Obama because they think he will sacrifice the interests of the US for those of Europe, I think they're mistaken (hysterical Repub claims aside). I may not agree with Obama on a great many issues, but I don't see him putting himself under any other nation's boot heel anytime soon.

16. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +687 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

I don't think most Americans see this as a British vs. US thing at all. I think the majority of Americans are seeing this within the paradigm of corporate interests having too much power in Washington and too little regard for the public good.

17. DisgruntledTunaFan

DisgruntledTunaFan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Bush II built the coffin, Obama is nailing it shut to usher in the New World Order, One World Government, One World Religion to be runned by the Revelation 13 beast.

18. pherein

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

bongo, nice post. But it does bother me that thou there is almost no Anti-British sentiment in America, Britain seems to be taking this rather personally. Perhaps we need to do a better job communicating to our friends in the UK. If you read threw all of the comments of the newspapers I post above you will see a certain disconnect and slight anger at America.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  19. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +687 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Believe me, that's been there for many many years, predating Bush even.

20. pherein

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I know it seems deep seeded from the Reagan era, but dosnt seem to be something we might want to solve? I mean the consensus is that our president becomes their president, which is warped, but there you have it. Seems we might be able to improve relations with competent leadership. I am not putting Obama down with this, it is a blanket theory, dosnt matter who's president. In other words, if we are to police the world, something we have clearly chosen, do we not need a world leader?
    Not just American.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010