Welcome to PatsFans.com

Supreme Court Trumps Executive Power.. Bush wanted to get soft on a Murderer of teens

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Mar 26, 2008.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -26

Did not see this reported anywhere except the Houston Newspaper, the Supreme Court did not go along with the request of GWB to reopen the case of a Mexican who is on death row for raping and murdering two girls.. this is a tad bizarre.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5648871.html

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that Texas cannot be forced by President Bush to reopen the case of Jose Medellin, a Mexican citizen sentenced to death for raping and murdering two teenage girls in Houston.

By a 6-3 vote, the court said that a memo by Bush instructing the state to comply with a world court decision for a new hearing in the 1993 case was not sufficient to require the state to act.

The dissenters, however, expressed concerns that the ruling would harm the United States' relationship with Mexico and make it more difficult to enforce international treaties.

Tuesday's decision will not immediately lead to an execution date for Medellin, who has exhausted all appeals and confessed to the killings of Jennifer Ertman, 14, and Elizabeth Pena, 16, after they happened upon a gang initiation.
  2. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Re: Supreme Court Trumps Executive Power.. Bush wanted to get soft on a Murderer of t

It's because if the MSM reported this it would not go along with their view the Bush administration has made the Supreme Court a rubber stamp to the Executive office.:)

This is really a simple case about the Constitution. The question is if the World Court is relevant and if the President has the power to enforce the rulings of the World Court. The constitionalist justices clearly gave their answer by ruling for the state of Texas.
  3. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Re: Supreme Court Trumps Executive Power.. Bush wanted to get soft on a Murderer of t

So where is all the talk about "innocent people getting executed by a flawed justice system"????

The silence of the lambs.

//
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -26

Are you trying to hijack another thread and make it all about you?? Again??
  5. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Please. The last thing this is about is "me".

You want me to go back and compile a list of your colleagues' comments on "innocent people getting executed", "the criminal justice system is inherently flawed; some innocents get wrongly convicted", etc., etc.??

You can't have it both ways, GJAJ. Either you concede that the criminal system *does* sometimes make a mistake, or you don't. If you do, then that's probably what the President is saying. If you don't, then you are a heartless, right-wing, Dick Cheney-lovin' bad, bad boy.

//
  6. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I believe GWB was trying to fix the sentence because Mexico objected and he wanted to play nice with the Mexicans instead of upholding US/Texas justice.

I could be wrong, as I didn't read the whole story, but it seems like I remember that from before.
  7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +161 / 7 / -13

Bush was wrong here glad the court got it right. I would love to see which 3 justices wanted to defer to the world court instead of the constitution, F the world court.
  8. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Breyer, Ginsberg and Souter
  9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +161 / 7 / -13

Teh biggest libs on the court figures. Well if Obama or Clinton get in you would see more of their ilk appointed to the USSC. Not sure McCain would be much better, he could be worse however.