Welcome to PatsFans.com

Supreme Court to Hear LA Death Penalty for Babyraper case

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by FreeTedWilliams, Jan 4, 2008.

1. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +117 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8TV9A1O0&show_article=1

This will be an interesting outcome.

Patrick Kennedy (not kidding) (and no not that one, his money got him off) was convicted of raping his 8 year step daughter and was sentenced to death in Louisiana. He is the only person in the US currently on death row for a crime in which the victim did not die.

Shall we predict the outcome??

Here's my guess

Chief Justice Roberts-kill'em
    Justice Stevens-grant him parole
    Justice Scalia-let'em fry
    Justice Kennedy-dunno
    Justice Souter-unconstittional
    Justice Thomas-let him fry
    Darth Ginsburg-grant him amnesty
    Justice Breyer-unconstitional
    Justice Alito-kill'em

Once again it will come down to Justice Kennedy

I can never get a read on him, and apparenlty neither can he..

From Wilkopedia...

Capital punishment
    Kennedy has generally voted to restrict the use of the death penalty. With the Court's majority in Atkins v. Virginia and Roper v. Simmons he held unconstitutional the execution of the mentally ill and those under 18 at the time of the crime. However in Kansas v. Marsh, he declined to join the dissent, which questioned the overall "soundness" of the existing capital punishment system. His opinion for the Court in Roper, as in Lawrence, made extensive reference to international law, drawing the ire of then-House Majority Leader Tom DeLay who called Kennedy's opinion "incredibly outrageous" but stopped short of calling for his impeachment.

[edit] Other issues
    On the other hand, Kennedy has joined with Court majorities in decisions favoring states' rights and capital punishment and invalidating federal and state affirmative action programs. Despite his views on states' right, he ruled with the majority in the controversial 2000 Bush v. Gore case that ceased continuing recounts in the 2000 presidential election and ensured the victory of President George W. Bush, a move that was considered conservative-leaning by some.[citation needed]

In the 2005 Gonzales v. Raich case, he joined the liberal members of the Court (along with conservative Justice Scalia) in permitting the federal government to prohibit the use of medical marijuana, even in states in which it is legal, thus invalidating a California law that made the use of medical marijuana legal. Several weeks later, in the controversial case of Kelo v. City of New London (2005), he joined the four more liberal justices in supporting the local government's power to take private property for economic development through the use of eminent domain.

Kennedy has been active off of the bench as well, calling for reform of overcrowded American prisons in a speech before the American Bar Association. He spends his summers in Salzburg, Austria, where he teaches international and American law at the University of Salzburg for the McGeorge School of Law international program and often attends the large yearly international judges conference held there. Defending his use of international law, Kennedy told the September 12, 2005 issue of The New Yorker, "Why should world opinion care that the American Administration wants to bring freedom to oppressed peoples? Is that not because there’s some underlying common mutual interest, some underlying common shared idea, some underlying common shared aspiration, underlying unified concept of what human dignity means? I think that’s what we’re trying to tell the rest of the world, anyway.”

So the question is
    1. Do YOU favor the death penalty for baby rapers?

2. What do you think the SC will do?
  2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I don't think this should be a capital case. Although heinious she wasn't murdered. In general I'm not a death penalty guy, except when it comes to kids, then I'm all for it. But again he may have raped her but he didn't kill her.

I don't think the SC will go along with frying him. What they should do is deny his ability to get protective custody. Make him live in the general population while surving 40 years. In a sense that would be a death sentance, and he would suffer longer

There must be more to the case than just an out-right rape (not that rape is a trivial thing) was ther torture involved? Is the girl comatose/brain damaged etc.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  3. jack

jack Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Executing a human does'nt bother me...

what bothers me is executing an innocent person...

Human error and the drive to win a conviction has put many a man behind bars erroneously....
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

What a silly question.
    Yes! Without exception!

And I'm not pro-death penalty. I think baby rapers are much worse than murderers. At least most murderers have some kind of motivation like revenge, money, anger, ...whatever.
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +408 / 5 / -2

If I were in charge the government electric bill would rival defense spending & Medicare. :rocker:
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 9 / -26

This is attracting a lot of attention in the Legal Blogs.. as it will be controversial either way.. personally I do not like the death penalty, for a couple of reasons:

1. Too long on death row
    2. Too many delays
    3. Too expensive to house and couple with legal fees it gets pricey.
    4. The people on death row often become the heroes, the attract women who visit them and get married.. sometimes the press loves them.

My solution is quite simple, go to my prison in Montana and experience extreme sensory deprivation for the rest of your life. Every cell will be self contained, no visitors, no human contact, you will watch what i want you to watch on TV(how about a steady diet of Billy Mays commercials), read what i allow you to read.. you will exercise alone and if you want a rope to kill yourself just ask.
  7. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'm against the death penalty. That being said, I do think there's fates worse than death. Many of Tim McVeigh's victims died instantly. What this little girl suffered... I really don't wanna speculate; but I assume it was worse than just being snuffed out instantly and without warning. So working strictly from the assumption that Capital Punishment is a fair response, its ok by me that this a-hole is getting it.

However, I'd much prefer him living out the rest of his life in jail. I think most people minimize that as a punishment. Christmases in jail 50 times in a row, or whatever day appeals to you, is pretty severe to me.
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +496 / 2 / -9

There is a very easy solution to this, sentence him to 30 yrs, then allow him to have all the privilages the good behavior Con's have, allow him to mingle with the general population the Gang Bangers will execute him within a week.

Of course the Slobbering Whailing Liberal Do-Gooders know this and would never go along with it.

How would they handle this guy in Singapore or N Korea, what does Pig Face Chavez to with his Pedophiles :confused: