Welcome to PatsFans.com

Supreme Court On Gay Marriage: Prop 8, DOMA To Receive Hearings

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +475 / 18 / -17

As I understand it, the questions for the Supremes are:
    (1) Do states have the right to establish their own marriage rules?
    (2) Can Congress treat some marriages differently from others, as DOMA prescribes?

These are the same sort of issues that interracial couples went through. We'll see how far the Republicans have come depending on Supreme Court rulings. Observers seem to expect Kennedy to be the deciding vote, as he was when the Supremes struck down laws which the right wing of the Supreme Court defended vigorously.

Supreme Court On Gay Marriage: Prop 8, DOMA To Receive Hearings

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court will take up California's ban on same-sex marriage, a case that could give the justices the chance to rule on whether gay Americans have the same constitutional right to marry as heterosexuals.

The justices said Friday they will review a federal appeals court ruling that struck down the state's gay marriage ban, though on narrow grounds. The San Francisco-based appeals court said the state could not take away the same-sex marriage right that had been granted by California's Supreme Court.

The court also will decide whether Congress can deprive legally married gay couples of federal benefits otherwise available to married people. A provision of the federal Defense of Marriage Act limits a range of health and pension benefits, as well as favorable tax treatment, to heterosexual couples.

[​IMG]

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +702 / 20 / -30

There is some pretty good analysis on this in the Scotus Blog..

http://www.scotusblog.com/

One thing for sure the wacky christian right will be outside the SC on the day this is argued in droves...

3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,758 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

Hard to fathom in this day and age that we cannot get 3 of these 15 states to say yes and have 38 states ratifying the ERA. If we had a ratified ERA this SCOTUS case would be moot ... as it should be IMO.

3 of these 4 swing states are all that is needed ... it is within reach with some effort.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times New Roman, Times] Alabama
    Arizona
    Arkansas

Florida

Georgia
    Illinois
    Louisiana
    Mississippi
    Missouri

Nevada
    North Carolina

Oklahoma
    South Carolina
    Utah
    [/FONT]
    Virginia

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  4. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +246 / 9 / -25

There is no such thing as the christian "right". Being Christian is a belief system with its roots firmly planted in tradition.
    If you call yourself a christian and you stand for same sex marriage and abortion on demand, then you are opposing the tradition that gave you Christ.

So any "Christian", who supports abortion demand and same sex marriage is either greatly deceived or not a true Christian at all.

5. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +702 / 20 / -30

God you are tiring.. open your eyes, it is amazing what you will see.

Thanks for judging me, again.

6. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Wouldn't they have to reintroduce the amendment? I thought it had an expiration of 10 years (1972 to 1982).

7. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,758 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

Get differing opinions on that - some say it never expired, some say it was etched in stone and it did and others say bringing up again would be easy. What is fascinating is that many Americans think it is a part of the Constitution ... few realize it was never ratified.

8. RI Patriots fan

Ratings:
    +246 / 9 / -25

You're the one who was judging the "wacky" christian right.

I'm simply defning what it means to be a christian based upon christian tradition.

9. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

One would think an opportunistic politician would run with this. Come on, equal rights for women? So gay marriage and legalization of pot becomes law in some states before ERA is universal?

10. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,758 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

Messed up for sure ..........

11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +967 / 2 / -9

Here we go again:

"andrea, who's that man over there"
    "thats ronald innerout"
    "i'd like to meet him"
    "he's married"
    "shlt, to who"
    "william rocksoff"

I will march with my sign.

My sign will read "WHO GIVES A SHlT"

12. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I'm guessing you were around before women had the right to vote and that they should not have the same rights as men?

13. Patters

Ratings:
    +475 / 18 / -17

May I ask, would you have used that same argument to defend the Christian traditions that for centuries upheld slavery? That for centuries upheld the brutal treatment of women and children? Would you have defended those traditions that for centuries upheld monarchies and the oppression of Jews and others? Or do you recognize that traditions actually do change over time. Your children or your children's children will probably not hold your traditions, and you probably do not hold the traditions of your great great grandparents. But, then again, using your logic, perhaps you're not a true Christian either?

14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +967 / 2 / -9

Gay marriage doesn't bother me a bit, good luck to them, my sign says it all.

"Who Gives A Shlt"

Women: Go for it do anything you want, god be with you.

I've been trying to teach my neighbors wife how to write her initials in the snow while she's standing up plsslng, I actually believe that some day she will do it, she eats moose meat and she drives a bulldozer.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  15. RI Patriots fan

Ratings:
    +246 / 9 / -25

You don't understand what I mean when I say "traditions" in regards to faith. I'm talking about traditions in regards to revelation and Catholic teaching.

The church has never "upheld" slavery, taught that it was ok to abuse women and children, or taught that it was ok to oppress Jews.
    Unfortunately, some in the church have abused their power and have misrepresented the true teachings of the church....even Popes.

The teachings against abortion and homosexual acts are infalliable teachings of the church since the very beginning and will never change.

16. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,758 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

Here we go again ... another thread trending towards religion and the padlock again.:bricks::bricks::bricks:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +702 / 20 / -30

Unfortunately the SCOTUS does not consider tradition, they consider constitution..

Who cares what you believe, not the SCOTUS or most of us.

18. RI Patriots fan

Ratings:
    +246 / 9 / -25

Actually, Scotus considers both constitution and precedence when making their decisions.

19. Patters

Ratings:
    +475 / 18 / -17

The Catholic Church absolutely upheld slavery for the first centuries of its existence. The Bible only preaches to be kind to your slaves. The Catholic church upheld traditions that led to horrific abuses against children, women, scientists, scholars, Jews, and others. The Catholic church upheld the idea that women had no rights for centuries. Remember, Pope John Paul III apologized for the inquisition, the treatment of Jews, forced conversions, and other traditions that for centuries were defended by the infallible teachings of the Church. I gather you don't know your Catholic history very well. There are a number of links on this subject.

List of apologies made by Pope John Paul II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    For The First Time (or the last time): 1992: Catholic Church apologizes to Galileo, who died in 1642

20. RI Patriots fan

Ratings:
    +246 / 9 / -25

Sigh.....you don't have any idea what you're talking about. I'm not going to waste a lot of time on this because this is the politics forum. If you want to continue this over to the religion section I will gladly show you that you don't know what you're talking about. Here is a link (to start) for those who'd like to get beyond the poorly constructed progressive talking points:

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Slavery and Christianity