Welcome to PatsFans.com

Support Officer Wilson

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patradomous, Aug 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,472 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

Did you really laugh out loud at my post? With all the pro bono support falling into the Brown family's lap from all over America, including the nation's highest office, you can bet Wilson will need help defending himself -- especially from the inevitable civil suit(s).

Extrapolate all you want. My post, and interest, have nothing to do with other cases.

2. Patradomous

Patradomous In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +383 / 67 / -92

#87 Jersey

Nobody made that dumb fat stupid fxck into a hero. But the left sure made Trayvon into St Skittles.
    As a matter of fact I predicted an easy equital based on THE LAW thats on the books.

The left has already made Brown into St Rello. A po black bo jast mindin own biness. Getsin shots down up in the streets fo no reason. Cop done pull up and pull Brown into the cruiser starts shootin in the back fo no reason but he black.
    And fxckin guys like you can't wait believe it cause you really ain't got nothing else. The whole leftist lie is coming apart at the seems. Your boy King Putt will go down as the absolute worst president ever and your left with nothing but the good old stand by...the race card...got pull it out one more time..see if it works one more time...you Holder the NY Times, CNN, MSNBC, thue usual unamed race hustlers got to make it workd there is election coming anf your whole agenda is a farce.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I actually prefer The Black Right myself! :p

4. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +2,472 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

That has got to be one of the broadest brush strokes I've ever seen.

5. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

So why do you have a problem with people holding the opinion that Zimmerman probably murdered Martin, regardless of the legal verdict?

Both Zimmerman and OJ were found not guilty. Both walked. That's how the law works.

It's still possible that both in fact did murder people, and it's reasonable for people to believe that about either or both of them.

6. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

I don't think there should be any fear of him not getting a competent defense, assuming there is ever a criminal trial. Even if his union doesn't pay for it -- and I assume they do -- I'm pretty sure there are many good defense attorneys who would be happy to defend him at reduced fees.

7. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

The right and the ACLU? For many folks on the right who pretend to care about limited government and individual rights, the ACLU is barely better than communists.

It's only the more libertarian-minded folks on the right who tend to stand with the ACLU.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. RecoveringCowboy

RecoveringCowboy Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +307 / 1 / -3

Everyone needs to be the subject of either a print article or TV spot to understand you are at the mercy of a reporter. Fortunately for me, I got a fair portrail but I know others that were thrown under the bus. It was obscure topics - not a socio-political one like Ferguson. Remember that George Zimmerman had a behavior before and after shooting Treyvon Martin that in hindsight make it hard to support him.

I only know on a very high level what happened - so I have no judgement at this point. Cop could be like George Zimmerman, but the suspect could be like Rodney King - asking for trouble.

9. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +598 / 24 / -19

I would have said "elements of the white right" instead of the "white right," but sadly the only voices being heard are of those righties who seem to believe that the blacks in Ferguson are thugs, that Michael Brown got what he deserved, and the police officer acted professionally.

10. fpraven88

fpraven88 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +203 / 4 / -4

And he'll get hundreds of thousands in donations from legions of (NON!)-racists who will support him in legal donations. Hope he manages his money better than George Zimmerman and hope he doesn't get his wife arrested for perjury as a result.

That's good, but if you say:

Then I'm going to say that's an extreme whitewash of the inner motivations of the people that are going to be blindly throwing their support behind Wilson.

Check any story's comments section for just how much of a fan club Wilson is garnering and what their motivations are.

11. fpraven88

fpraven88 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +203 / 4 / -4

I wasn't trying to blend them together, just the opposite. I think that people tend to take the libertarian/ACLU viewpoint of "defending rights" and the like only when it suits them.

In other cases, they're just fine and dandy with rights getting trampled on.

12. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +2,472 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

I believe that some of the blacks in Ferguson are "thugs" but certainly not a majority, that Michael Brown might've been a thug-in-progress but did not "deserve" to die, and that Wilson certainly MIGHT have acted professionally.

13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

Remember, liberals don't stereotype either. They hate the ****. That's something only racists and bigots do. :D

14. Patters

Ratings:
    +598 / 24 / -19

I appreciate your response, but let's consider some of the facts:

I think it's fair to say that police officers killing someone is not all that unusual, but what is unusual is the amount of outrage in Ferguson. (Sure, some used that outrage as cover to commit crimes, but that's a separate issue.)

- Ferguson is 2/3rds black, yet the 53 member police department has only 3 black officers.

- Officers roughed up reporters and threw a tear gas grenade at a tv news crew (caught on video).

- The police force was criticzed as acting like an occupying force.

- Michael Brown was unarmed and shot six times.

- The police claimed that Michael Brown may have been stealing cigars, though officer Wilson did not know that, no crime was reported, and the surveillance video seems to show a person buying cigars, not stealing them.

- There have been many complaints about the police in Ferguson acting in heavy handed ways, and some lawsuits have resulted from that.

-A Ferguson police officer was relieved of duty after a video of his racist remarks surfaced.

These protests are not about Officer Wilson, They're about racism. People don't normally protest and riot when a black person is killed by police. When it happens, many white righties cricle the wagons since the blacks are fitting their racist stereotypes. But the fact is such protests are anomalous and for the white righties to start bandying about words like thugs and supporting officer Wilson is just a reflection of the kind of racism that blacks know all too well.

Sources:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...-missouri-police-editorials-debates/14086807/

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/08...son-polices-handling-mike-brown-shooting.html

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/20/justice/ferguson-residents-police-history/

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/23/ferguson-officer-relieved-duty-video-racist-remarks

15. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

I really find a lot of the posts discussing this incident to be truly mind boggling. It's amazing how a white cop, black "victim", instantly draws lines in the sand. Some people are truly waiting for real facts to pass judgment, but too many of you have already determined who's right, and who's wrong here. It's an entirely ideological, political, and partisan line. It's quite sad to be honest. Especially the tired use of the term racist. None of you, on either side, really knows what happened here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +2,472 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

Which makes it incredibly disturbing, to me at least, that our federal government has gotten involved.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Patters

Ratings:
    +598 / 24 / -19

I think you're misunderstanding the issue. If Michael Brown's death was an isolated incident, the protests would not have risen to the level they did, but the level of protest suggests that it was not an isolated incident. The blacks in Ferguson clearly believe that the police department there acts with impunity and subjects blacks in general to unfair treatment. This is the same type of incident that led blacks in LA to believe OJ was innocent. In that case, a little while later it turned out that cops were actively framing blacks and the city faced major lawsuits and many cops were fired. Given that fact, it's no surprise so many blacks believed OJ could have been innocent.

The people who know the black experience with police is the black population. Michael Brown death is merely a symbol of the problem. An increasing body of evidence, some of which I cited above, lends credence to the view that the Ferguson police department treats the black population unfairly. How in the world could a police dept. have only 3/53 black police officers in a city that is 2/3rds black? Why does the police department release unproven suspicions (stealing cigars) about Brown that have nothing to do with anything? Why did the police dept. leave Brown's body uncovered for hours? Why did police bring in armoured trucks and riot gear to what was a largely peaceful protest? (Or does your libertarian view now support a police state when blacks act out; I'm sure you wouldn't support the feds doing the same thing at Bundy's farm.) Why did the police escalate to rubber bullets, tear gas, dogs, and even a sound cannon? Why did local police prevent low level aircraft from filming the action? Why did police fire tear gas at a news crew and arrest several reporters? Why did police remove their nametags and refuse to identify themselves? Why did police threaten an MSNBC reporter wwith mace and another one that he'd be "shelled"? Why did a cop yell "Bring it, you f-ing animals. Bring it!" Why did an anonymous report get leaked that Brown had weed in his system? Why did a cop say to protesters "I will f-ing kill you" to protesters who were yelling at him.

In your world, it seems that blacks can't be victims of racism. It is your kind of libertarianism that makes many see libertarianism as a cover for bigotry. Clearly, what happened in Ferguson violates every concept of libertarianism, but your apparent defense of the police (let's not judge anything, let's not form opinions based on the videotaped facts, let's rely on what the authorities behind this mess will conclude) is based on the rights of the state to impose law and order in ways that are at best quasi-constitutional.

We know what happened there. It's on video. There are reporters and witnesses. And thousands of good people protested peacefully against what they see as a history of heavy handed tactics by the police. We know there is a climate where police act with impunity towards blacks, and that is what has caused the protests. Whether it contributed to Michael Brown's death is under investigation, but I think that cop was in the best case incompetent, having to shoot an unarmed man 6 times.

For the above reasons, it is clear why the federal government needed to get involved. The local police department's credibility on race issue is nil and there is mounting evidence of numerous civil rights violations directed at the black community.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +841 / 27 / -33

Even though we do not know the official version of what happened in Ferguson two weeks ago, many have contributed bringing the total to $234,910... and they have closed the donations... the term "sheeple" comes to mind.

Guess there are those who want to believe folks like "Josie" and her 12 anonymous friends....

"A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest".. Paul Simon

19. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +255 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Wilson should not be made the scapegoat or remedy for every wrong step the police department in Ferguson makes or for the ones any other police departments have made but that is what the case is here. He's not guilty because of what others whites have done. To presume so because he's white is no better than to presume a black person is because of his or her race. Wilsons career is likely over already no matter if he was justified or not. If he's cleared because he was justified but still loses his livelihood, how is that justice? Does he have any civil rights?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -10

Why,
    Why did the cop fire the very first shot, what made him pull that trigger?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.