Welcome to PatsFans.com

Super Pac = Super Disgusting

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +574 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

Personally, I think The Citizen United decision is going to be the worst thing to ever happen to American politics and American people.

I don't know if it's absolutely true that the candidates have no control over the ads that a Super Pac airs - I hope it is because the ad that's got me feeling like puking is sickening in it's sly dishonesty - but I wish it wasn't because it seems like if someone is going to air a commerical in your name it ought to be something you approve of.

And this is just the beginning...it's a long way to November.

The pro-Obama super PAC Priorities USA Action began airing a commercial today in which a former steel worker essentially blames Bain and Romney for his wife dying.

It's a sad story, Bain buys company, company declares bankruptcy, man gets laid off, man loses family's health care, man's wife becomes ill with breast cancer and dies due to lack of insurance.

It's sad. It is.

It's also true.

To a point....but not much of one.

The back story, in a nutshell:

Bain bought the company in the late 90's. They declared bankruptcy and fired their workers in 2001. The man's wife had health insurance through her employer until 2004 when she, too, either lost or quit her job. She got sick in 2006, was taken to a hospital and diagnosed with pneumonia and Stage 4 breast cancer and she died 22 days later.

But that was 5 years after her husbnd lost his job and two years after she lost her own employer sponsored health insurance.

There comes a point where responsibility ends. There are a million ways Bain could have been at fault had she been diagnosed with cancer shortly before or after her husband lost his job - but not 5 years later and certainly not when she had health insurance of her own in that time frame.

It's a totally bogus ad - and it's not going to help Obama, it's going to hurt him.

Some high ranking democrat needs to go bi!chslap Priorities USA and tell them they need to make honesty their No. 1 priority.

In Obama super-PAC ad, worker ties wife

Woman mentioned in Priorities ad died in '06 - POLITICO.com

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +430 / 12 / -26

Heard something the other day that the Koch's and their associated superpacs have contributed and raised more money in this election, than all that McCain/Palin raised in the last election.

3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 13 / -27

#87 Jersey

Hate to tell you Mrs. PF Axelrod loves this stuff. it's how Obama got to the White House ... he's been doing this type of stuff behind the scenes since Obama won as state senator. Axelrod is such a piece of crap he makes Carville look like an angel.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

Axelrod had Divorce Custody records unsealed against the wishes of both parties a couple of times to smear people this is SOP. as Icy says.

But since Obama had no record to be proud of destroying ROmney honestly or not is their only option, no more hope and change just fear and loathing.

5. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -1

Didn't McCain and Obama have an agreement that Obama went against? ANd didn't Obama outspend McCain 2 to 1 to win the election? Did that bother you at all?

6. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Shhh don't remind them that this is all their doing... they might start to think clearer and be much less entertaining.

7. Patradomous

Patradomous In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +156 / 9 / -17

#87 Jersey

Very fair post Mrs.
    As a matter of fact Mitt left Bain in 1999. The woman died in 2006. The husbands company closed in '01.
    This is beyond desperate.
    If I was the Romney campaign I'd run that ad all day edited with the facts behind the slander.

8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +574 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

Romney doesn't have to.....media is doing it for him.

And that's going to be one of the problems both campaigns are going to both profit and lose from - I live in a swing state with lots of ads being shown and I've seen this ad 20 times on various news shows and maybe twice as an actual ad.

The more controversial the ad the more free air play it's going to get. Both campaigns should think about that before they start lying all over the place.

But hell, maybe that's what they count on.

It's all getting more and more disgusting.

9. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I thought your OP was a great post and kudos for calling a spade a spade. Not too many in here have the gumption or desire to call out their side when they do something questionable. The usual response to to say "well your guy does it too..."

OT: Ain't that the truth Mrs. This election is and has been nasty (which I can't stand) and the calendar just flipped to August. November please hurry.

I actually attempted to take a hiatus from this place for that reason....but you all kept tugging me back :)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +574 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

Thank you....sometimes the truth hurts but that doesn't make it any less the truth. Trying to justify it or ignore it doesn't change it or make it go away - on the contrary, it encourages it.

Truth is, I was horribly disappointed - and embarrassed by this whole thing. "I" don't want to be associated with the kind of things that "I" find repulsive in others. I want "my guys" to be better than that. It's hard to condemn "the other side" when "your side" is just as bad.

It's bad. It's getting worse. I shudder to think of what happens when the Super Pacs go in full swing. My one hope left is that one or the other of the candidates starts to disavow this kind of crap and call their own side out on it.

'Cuz we're so adorable,that's why. :)

11. Drewski

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Sometimes the truth does hurt, and that is "ok". Life is about learning experiences. If enough people (on both sides) took to task their guys and gals, the leadership of this country would fall more into the mold it should be; truly representing us the people.

We let far too much crap go in the name of "well, that is how the game is played". Baloney.

Agreed, its as ugly a lead up to election as I can remember in my lifetime. But what really chaps my ass is the ugliness has nothing to do with policy. It is almost exclusively character attacks and petty BS. We talk more about Mitten's tax returns than we do about fixing the economy. We spend more time fixated on what labels we can attach to Obama than we do coming up with plans to bring us back to the forefront globally now and into the future.

Its like the people running these campaigns are taking cues from Snooki, the Situation and JWow; running for POTUS has become a frickin reality tv joke; where substance and actual discussion is replaced with name calling and political one-up's-manship.

Pathetic.

You know it!

12. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +812 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Drewski, I like the cut of your jib.

13. Patradomous

Ratings:
    +156 / 9 / -17

#87 Jersey

because thats who the electorate is..how else would hopey changy get elected.

14. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

Free Speech is uncomfortable sometimes, this election will be one of those times. Better that than politicians regulating what is or isn't allowed political speech.

15. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +812 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

If we expect our country to get any better, then we have to rise to the occasion and demand a higher level of political discourse.

You want to know why we have increasingly mediocre candidates? It's because we allow for our free speech rights to be exercised in such a way that it is abusive to our political process and detrimental to the average American.

While Dems and Pubs fight over tax returns, passports, family vacations, and hairdos, sensible Americans want to know how we're going to fix this country. The more that voice gets drowned out, the quicker the pace of our decline. We're so comfortable that we think we're invincible, but we're not. There have been some spectacular collapses in the last century of countries that were stable and strong. The more we waste time on trivial nonsense, the greater our risk of joining the ranks of the "has-been" countries.

Everything about this election tells me that whoever wins will win because voters made decisions based on either partisan politics, race, trivial nonsense (tax returns, family vacations, etc), or choosing the lesser of two evils. No one will convince me that this is the proper exercise of our republican system.

16. Drewski

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

13 - I have no issues with Free Speech, not even one iota. In fact I want to protect free speech that I hate probably more than speech I love.

But having corporate $$ thrown around, to no end, is not Free Speech.

Free Speech is me giving my money to a candidate and, while I personally disagree with the decision, a company doing so also. However, the cap to that donation should be the same, then its truly free and equal speech. Just because someone or thing has deeper pockets than someone else doesn't mean their voice should be heard louder.

Super Pacs are like slush funds to circumvent what pathetic rules we actually have on campaign finance.

17. Drewski

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Here Here Nikolai. Great Post.

18. Drewski

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

While I agree we have a dumbed down society, if you are ok with placating to the lowest common denominator so be it.

I have higher expectations and demands of myself and my countryman than that.

19. Drewski

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Thanks!

In an effort of full disclosure, I actually had to look up that phrase :)

20. Patradomous

Ratings:
    +156 / 9 / -17

#87 Jersey

Its not me its the reality.Its what the political market sells for whats demanded.
    Thats why suguary syrupy sweet coca cola ( an immediate fix) sells better than carrot juice.
    Thats why democrats have always been the party of bumper stickers...Quick shiny object easy to remember without any thought....Thats why Obama works so well, easy on the eyes and ears and he will give you anything you want even sing for you for your vote.