PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Super Mario!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last edited:
LOL Because that's all clowns like you got...:bricks:

Pointing out that you're a bitter low-life that celebrates Drew Bledsoe's near-death is FAR from all I've got...

But it's more than enough for the likes of you.

Well...my issue is why fit any of them in...although the BOB issue (as opposed to what the thread has been hijacked into as usual) is at least relevant.

I understand that your mental state renders reality fuzzy at best..

But the only HiJacking that's been done, is by you. :rolleyes:

Basically, I was soliciting opinions as to whether Mario...

A ~ Might indeed become an unrestricted Free Agent, due to Planet Hoosten's travails...and...

B ~ Whether he'd be a good Investment.

Someone pointed out in another thread about versatility. Having a player that can go from a DE in either alignment and also have the ability to not only set the edge but be ferocious while blitzing as an outside LB is a weapon that cannot be undervalued.

This is one guy I hope the Patriots do go after. They have the picks and they can make the cap work. Mario would help this defense in a lot of different area's. I can't believe people are judging him on his sack totals? Has anyone ever watched a Houston Texans game?

Sign me up, it was a mistake to let Peppers go to the Bears.

Having a player of William's caliber improves the entire defense.

First win the superbowl, next piss everyone off by adding two 1st round picks and Mario Williams.

BRAVO!! :rocker:

Super Mario ~ as discussed by Brother Jay and others, elsewhere ~ is a SuperBEAST!!

Those who judge his IMPACT based on Sacks betray a COMPLETE ignorance of this Great Game.

If we could ~ because of Planet Hoosten's Cap Issues ~ get him for FREE...:eek: :eek: :eek:

It would be the Coup of the Century!! :rocker:

Mario would be sweet! Either as 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB, I'd expect he'd be a beast.

Whether the question we need more than one guy, he would help immensely.

I mean, the secondary really doesn't need much more help in 2012, with Mccourty/Arrington/Dowling at CB next year, Chung at S, and Moore at CB/S, the team really just needs one good safety next to Chung. A player like Mario would make them all better too.

Last edited:
BRAVO!! :rocker:

Super Mario ~ as discussed by Brother Jay and others, elsewhere ~ is a SuperBEAST!!

Those who judge his IMPACT based on Sacks betray a COMPLETE ignorance of this Great Game.

If we could ~ because of Planet Hoosten's Cap Issues ~ get him for FREE...:eek: :eek: :eek:

It would be the Coup of the Century!! :rocker:

Nothing is free... We can get anyone we want, but as Bill often reminds those of us who listen there is a tradeoff. We have other needs, and we have a pair of TE's we probably won't even be able to hang on to because they won't stay for free... Mario spent most of this season on IR. At a cap hit in excess of everyone on this roster except the QB. They've already paid him $54M and have nothing tangible to show for it until they brought in a cagy old DC who finally schemed them at least to a division title and the playoffs without Mario even factoring into the equation...

Mario would be sweet! Either as 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB, I'd expect he'd be a beast.

Whether the question we need more than one guy, he would help immensely.

I mean, the secondary really doesn't need much more help in 2012, with Mccourty/Arrington/Dowling at CB next year, Chung at S, and Moore at CB/S, the team really just needs one good safety next to Chung. A player like Mario would make them all better too.

Unless he went on IR or something in which case you'd be back to square one and hoping there were enough coachable effort guys on the roster beneath him to allow Bill to do what he did this season...

It's impressive how many sacks Carter and Anderson got this year. But let's be real...Mario Williams is a different beast and would improve the pass rush in a BIG way. A team's pass rush shouldn't be judged based on the number of sacks. It's about pressure. Sometimes you get the sack, sometimes you don't. But it's the pressure you want.

Would you rather have a pass rush that gets you 2 sacks in a game and no pressure the rest of the game. Or a pass rush that gets no sacks, but is getting consistent pressure, QB hits/hurries throughout the game?

Who sez that Carter and Anderson and Ninkovitch weren't getting pressures as well as sacks?

Who sez that Carter and Anderson and Ninkovitch weren't getting pressures as well as sacks?

I don't even want to respond to a post with grammar like this, but I will anyway.

No one said that.

Nothing is free... We can get anyone we want, but as Bill often reminds those of us who listen there is a tradeoff. We have other needs, and we have a pair of TE's we probably won't even be able to hang on to because they won't stay for free... Mario spent most of this season on IR. At a cap hit in excess of everyone on this roster except the QB. They've already paid him $54M and have nothing tangible to show for it until they brought in a cagy old DC who finally schemed them at least to a division title and the playoffs without Mario even factoring into the equation...

They did more than scheme, they evaluated talent and made investments in their defense. Wade Phillips is a really good defensive coach (not much of a head coach) but any coach needs players.

The good news for the Patriots is that Houston went from 267.5 passing PYG against to 189.7. The bad news is that they had a good foundation to draw from.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst..._NET_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

1st round pick - JJ Watt, DE
2nd round pick - Brooks Reed, DE
2nd round pick - Brandon Harris, DE

Sign CB Johnathan Joseph
Sign S Daniel Manning

1st round pick - Kareem Jackson, CB

1st round pick - Brian Cushing, LB
2nd round pick - Connor "the legend" Barwin, LB

1st round pick - Amobi Okoye, DT

1st round pick - Mario Williams, DE
2nd round pick - Demarco Ryan, LB

National Football League: NFL Draft History - by Team

Last edited:
This is exactly what I want to happen more than anything for Houston and for the Patriots. Here is why.........

Mario Williams in Houston = He has been very good, but a disappointment for a #1 draft pick type of player. He has never been that insane impactful DE that he was drafted to be like Peppers has been in certain seasons earlier in his career. Mario is a guy that takes plays off a lot and isn't always giving that 100% effort with that non stop motor.

On the positive side though, when he does he can be extremely difficult to stop and teams have to double team him. He is very good against the run as well, so he is a dual threat DE. He was also flourishing in Wade Phillips system early on this season before he got hurt and was looking like he was going to have the best season of his career. Could it be that Mario just needed a different system with a great DC like Wade Phillips to utilize his strengths better all these years??? I don't think that's the case, but it's possible considering the fact that Mario has played with nothing but garbage DC's his whole career since Wade came to Houston.

Mario will be due a ton of money on his contract next season and Houston has a ton of great pass rushers now, so Mario is no longer the need he once was. They can afford to let him go or to let him walk. I'd like to see them franchise him and trade him. I don't want Houston to have to pay Mario Williams money any longer because he isn't worth it "over here."

I think NE would be the perfect place for Mario though. Playing on a team like the Patriots who have serious aspirations for winning a SB every year under BB's coaching and the sheer attitude of champions around this organization just might be what Mario needs to where he'd really break out and have a career year or two. The Patriots really need a talent like his and he could really ignite that pass rushing spark they've needed for years.

NE has quite a few draft picks they could trade away to give Houston decent compensation as well.

I'd love for this to happen for the Texans and for the Patriots.

They did more than scheme, they evaluated talent and made investments in their defense. Wade Phillips is a really good defensive coach (not much of a head coach) but any coach needs players.

The good news for the Patriots is that Houston went from 267.5 passing PYG against to 189.7. The bad news is that they had a good foundation to draw from.

NFL Stats: by Team Category

Sign CB Johnathan Joseph
Sign S Daniel Manning

1st round pick - Brian Cuhing, LB

Add Mario Williams into the mix and that defense is even more explosive. Unfortunately for us we don't have the luxury of picking that high in drafts. Although I will say that a lot of those players were discussed in heavy detail on the draft sight here.

I NEVER SAID THEY WERE.

My response was directed at the claim that Williams hasn't posted double digit sacks in a while, and Anderson and Carter have. That statement questioned the impact Williams would have only because he didn't "have double digit sacks".

My point was to show that sacks are an over rated stat and Williams would have a huge impact.

Also, I never said it would be wise to spend a ton of money on a guy like Williams. Again, I was just pointing out that he would have an impact, and to discount that impact only because he hasnt had double digit sacks in a while is wrong.

I find the claims made in your post to be a two-way street. I made it pretty clear in my original post that I have a high opinion of Mario. If you think that I am downplaying his abilities; I'm not. It's just that I have a high opinion of Carter too. Carter (especially when paired w/ Anderson) really wasn't much worse than what Mario would provide.

You argued that "Mario Williams is a different beast and would improve the pass rush in a BIG way." Well, I disagree in a big way. Is he a better player? Sure. But pass rush - with Carter + Anderson - wasn't the problem with this D. Nor was it the problem in Hou in 2010 when their D was the worst in the NFL. So yeah, acquiring Williams (and giving up high drafts picks + way too much cap space) isn't the way to fix this D.

Last edited:

NFL Stats: by Team Category

Sign CB Johnathan Joseph
Sign S Daniel Manning

1st round pick - Brian Cushing, LB

I don't know that I would list Okoye, given that he was a bust in Houston and is currently a Bear.

I find the claims made in your post to be a two-way street. I made it pretty clear in my original post that I have a high opinion of Mario. If you think that I am downplaying his abilities; I'm not. It's just that I have a high opinion of Carter too. Carter (especially when paired w/ Anderson) really wasn't much worse than what Mario would provide.

You argued that "Mario Williams is a different beast and would improve the pass rush in a BIG way." Well, I disagree in a big way. Is he a better player? Sure. But pass rush - with Carter + Anderson - wasn't the problem with this D. Nor was it the problem in Hou in 2010 when their D was the worst in the NFL. So yeah, acquiring Williams (and giving up high drafts picks + way too much cap space) isn't the way to fix this D.

What if he wasn't franchised and the cost was cap money?

Sooo...Because we need more than one guy, we should ignore ALL improvement?? :bricks:

...Including acquiring one of the best 5 players in the GAME??? :confused:

You might want to reconsider your thinking, there, old sport. ;)

For someone who is so quick to question another's manner of thinking, you might want to work on your own reading comprehension....

....and then reconsider your own thinking; because if you read any of my posts and somehow walked away with "ignore all improvement," then you clearly don't have a grasp on what I'm arguing.

What if he wasn't franchised and the cost was cap money?

Well, what contract would we be offering, and how much room would we still have to make a plethora of other moves?

It's all so hypothetical at this point because we don't know who is coming and going on our own roster.

But I really doubt a team like Hou just lets him walk without any compensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes