• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TB=TD

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Should the Patriots be co-favorites....

To win the Superbowl with Green Bay?

Re: Should the Patriots be co-favorites....

Yes. They put up a 14-2 record with 8 new starters on defense, and only returning Brady and Welker at skill positions from the previous year. After a whole year and somewhat of an offseason to continue to gel, they have to be the favorites to win the AFC, and a GB/NE Super Bowl sounds about as close to 50/50 as it gets.

The defense has something to prove to get my vote for the SB

Yeah we went 14-2 but the offense and the crazy high turnover margin get much of the credit

I find it hard to imagine the team getting close to that T.O. Margin and that means the defense will have to step it up in close games and hopefully the postseason.

Right now I would lean the slight edge in the AFC to the Chargers who have an Elite QB but the team struggled to stay healthy last year,especially at WR and parts of the D and that cost them,the problem in SD lies with Norv Turner who is their weak link.

i think with the maturation of the d and an upgraded run game we may not have a better regular season record but will be better suited for the playoffs and i don't see why the pats shouldn't be considered co- favorites.

its a credit to the "team concept"....and BB. The Pats are again one of the favorites DESPITE having fewer so called "star" players than most teams

That being said, the hoped for improvement to the young defense should be balanced by the reality of knowing that it is very unlikely that they can match the TO rate of last season. It just doesn't happen that way. Just look at the Saints from their superbowl year to the next. IIRC the Saints lead the league in TOs with a somewhat suspect feast or famine defense, and then the next year with pretty much the same cast of characters didn't do as well.

Hopefully the Pats improve their numbers in the areas of points allowed, yards surrendered, 3rd down conversions, passing yds, sacks/pressures, etc. However if they only approach the TO numbers of last season, it will be a huge accomplishment

The defense has something to prove to get my vote for the SB

Yeah we went 14-2 but the offense and the crazy high turnover margin get much of the credit

I find it hard to imagine the team getting close to that T.O. Margin and that means the defense will have to step it up in close games and hopefully the postseason.

Right now I would lean the slight edge in the AFC to the Chargers who have an Elite QB but the team struggled to stay healthy last year,especially at WR and parts of the D and that cost them,the problem in SD lies with Norv Turner who is their weak link.

I just have a hard time making the Chargers a favorite for the Super Bowl given their history in the playoffs. They didn't even make the playoffs last year because they were the worst team by far in the NFL on special teams.

tough call, but gotta go with 'no' for now.......simply because the braintrust has been outcoached 2 playoff games in a row now.......

they have the bodies........while the defense got burned a bunch of times, they also made a ton of plays........given the youth, expect the mistakes to go down. the LB's are starting to get the coverages right, and I think the secondary is fine......just need a little more consistent pressure on the QB.

Should the Patriots be co-favorites....To win the Superbowl with Green Bay?

In terms of the way odds work in regards to betting, yes, because that's who most of the public think will win the Super Bowl - but I'm going to assume that's not really where you were going with this question.

Although I can understand the hesitation by many to declare the Pats the favorites to win the AFC, I would suggest taking it one step further: if you don't believe that the Patriots are the most likely team to win the AFCCG, then who has a better chance? It's not a question of whether the Pats are more likely to win than any and every other team; it's a question of which team is most likely to win the conference.

You can certainly make a valid point for the Steelers, but consider the so-called 'Super Bowl curse'. It's not so much a curse as it is the after effect of playing that many more games, that much deeper into the year. Returning to the Super Bowl in the free agency-salary cap era is a rarity; it has happened just once in the last twelve years when the Pats did it in 2003 and 2004. Personally not only do I not think the Steelers will return, but neither do the Packers.

In the AFC there are other legitimate contenders - the usual suspects such as the Colts, Jets, and Ravens come to mind, and depending on how they fare with their free agents the Chargers as well. But I don't think I would rank any of them as being more of a favorite to win the AFCCG than the Patriots at this point in time.

As for the NFC, it's really tough to say without seeing what happens with free agency. Obviously the Packers are worthy of consideration, winning it all despite a ton of injuries. The Falcons could contend if they can take care of signing free agents to their line and maybe adding a safety. The Giants are another team to look at but I'm thinking the Saints might just be my guess at this point.

Last edited:

I just think the Patriots are a final 4 caliber team, everything is a crapshoot from there.

I just think the Patriots are a final 4 caliber team, everything is a crapshoot from there.

they have the talent but they have to execute. The Packers had the talent, and have shown they can execute in the playoffs even with the abundance of players they lost throughout the season.

In terms of the way odds work in regards to betting, yes, because that's who most of the public think will win the Super Bowl - but I'm going to assume that's not really where you were going with this question.

Although I can understand the hesitation by many to declare the Pats the favorites to win the AFC, I would suggest taking it one step further: if you don't believe that the Patriots are the most likely team to win the AFCCG, then who has a better chance? It's not a question of whether the Pats are more likely to win than any and every other team; it's a question of which team is most likely to win the conference.

You can certainly make a valid point for the Steelers, but consider the so-called 'Super Bowl curse'. It's not so much a curse as it is the after effect of playing that many more games, that much deeper into the year. Returning to the Super Bowl in the free agency-salary cap era is a rarity; it has happened just once in the last twelve years when the Pats did it in 2003 and 2004. Personally not only do I not think the Steelers will return, but neither do the Packers.

In the AFC there are other legitimate contenders - the usual suspects such as the Colts, Jets, and Ravens come to mind, and depending on how they fare with their free agents the Chargers as well. But I don't think I would rank any of them as being more of a favorite to win the AFCCG than the Patriots at this point in time.

As for the NFC, it's really tough to say without seeing what happens with free agency. Obviously the Packers are worthy of consideration, winning it all despite a ton of injuries. The Falcons could contend if they can take care of signing free agents to their line and maybe adding a safety. The Giants are another team to look at but I'm thinking the Saints might just be my guess at this point.

Couldn't agree more.

I find it very tiresome how dependably the vast majority, especially the media slag, automatically assume the previous year's Champ is the favorite, despite overwhelming historical evidence to the contrary.

I would be SHOCKED if the Packers even get a SNIFF of the Super Bowl, this year.

And I agree that the Saints are serious contenders.

Considering what the Patriots accomplished with no less than 10 OF 11 starting Defenders playing new roles, or simply being new...And considering that the Heavy Lifting is now BEHIND them...I think it would be INSANE to consider anyone else to be Super Bowl Favorites.

I voted No. Who the hell knows what will be what until the seaspn begins with all the signings and physicals and everything up in the air? Premature Pollification.

The question boils down to the new guys. When a team goes 14-2 and over half the snaps are taken by 1/2 year players, there are wildcards everywhere.

Do they progress or are they "figured out"?

In the end, I'd say we now have the final pieces with the two new RB's.

Also, we should be good with Warren/Bodden coming back. Mike Wright would also be great.

In the end, the 2011 NFL is a QB driven, you can never have too many good CB's league.

Whoever, best meets that is the favorites.

I would definitely consider the Patriots to be favorites to win the AFC. The Steelers seem to be having a rough off-season after a 2010 season that was fairly injury free where they had everything go their way (well almost everything). The Chargers, I will never consider a favorite as long as Norv Turner is there or they prove me wrong... I've picked them to be favorites for way too many years and I've learned my lesson. The Jets had one of those flukey seasons that made them look better than they really were, and I don't see this season any different unless they land a couple big FA's (Asomugha?). The Colts are legitimate, but its seems like they're getting older and losing the potency on both sides of the ball that they used to have a few years ago and they have question marks at more than one position. The Ravens are IMO going to be one of the toughest teams in the league, as they have a young core of players without have any gaping holes, but they don't top the Patriots yet. The Patriots do have improvements to make on Defense, but young guys like Love, McCourty and Spikes will improve as they gain experience. But the reason they stand above the Ravens IMO is that their offense is SICK and more than makes up for their defense, and I don't see any reason why it'll be any different this season.

I'm biased, but I think the Packers still have to be NFL favorites. They won the super bowl a year earlier than they should have, and now that they're getting guys like Jermichael Finley and Ryan Grant back from IR, they should improve dramatically on offense. They have a good young core on both sides of the ball with blue-chip players in almost every position group and no holes on either side of the ball (you could argue that they need an OLB, but Zombo held his own as a rookie opposite Matthews last year, but just didn't get the sack numbers).

No. Green Bay is the team to beat.

We have to prove we can beat the Jets when it matters.

No, we haven't won a Super Bowl since 2004...7 years ago.

Not on Packers level but top 5 yes

Like stated earlier, they have not been able to execute really at all in the playoffs as of late..something has to change

Not on Packers level but top 5 yes

Like stated earlier, they have not been able to execute really at all in the playoffs as of late..something has to change

Projection of the past makes about zero sense.

The 2009/10 playoff losses, while emotional, have minimal meaning. Losing Welker in 2009 made those playoffs academic. Fixating on that loss seems to be a hallmark of patsfans.com but it's irrelavent.

The only value is if any deficiencies are corrected. Drafting two RB's means management thought about it.

BTW, the Packer hadn't won a playoff game since 2007 before last year.

I find it very tiresome how dependably the vast majority, especially the media slag, automatically assume the previous year's Champ is the favorite, despite overwhelming historical evidence to the contrary.

I would be SHOCKED if the Packers even get a SNIFF of the Super Bowl, this year.

Considering what the Patriots accomplished with no less than 10 OF 11 starting Defenders playing new roles, or simply being new...And considering that the Heavy Lifting is now BEHIND them...I think it would be INSANE to consider anyone else to be Super Bowl Favorites.

Do some research, boys. :rolleyes:

IMO, one of the best measures of what to expect next season, barring major changes to the team, is what that team did towards the end of the season. So if we're talking about the Pat's defense, starting in December vs. the Jets their defense gave up 3, 7, 27, 3, 7 & 28 points in their last 6 games for an average of 12.5 PPG which is pretty darn good defense. Since they've improved from the start of the season (24.2 PPG in first 11 games) to the end of the season, I'd guess that the Pat's defense will be improved in 2011. Only thing is, I don't know if the offense can duplicate what they did last year (which footballoutsiders says was the best ever in offensive DVOA), but they don't need to if the defense improves as expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes