PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Super Bowl 42 Redempetion- The OL Has Its Shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The game that should not be mentioned was a team loss in every sense, but let's face it- the offensive line was the biggest factor in losing. They allowed sacks and pressures all game, and that was without exotic blitz packages. They couldn't stop a 4-man rush, and that cost the Patriots their biggest win in team (and NFL) history.

Although it's said there are no second acts in American life, the line has a chance to redeem itself throughout the playoffs. With its first legitimate Super Bowl threat since that fateful game, this unit is capable of doing everything except hand the team the Lombardi trophy. All opposing coaches and players agree that when Brady is well-protected, the Patriots are as close it gets to unbeatable.

With veteran carryovers from that Super Bowl, including Light, Mankins, and Koppen, this unit knows what's at stake. Winning the trenches is often an emotional game, and a superb playoff push would transform their national legacies from "the guys who let Brady get sacked five times" to "a key part of their unprecedented success."

Here's to hoping that Light, Mankins, Vollmer, and the rest of gang continue to fortress-like protection and outstanding run blocking... if they can do this, perhaps their motivation, execution, and the ultimate team result will finally give us the silver lining we've been looking for over the last three years.

Go Pats!

Last edited:
The game that should not be mentioned was a team loss in every sense, but let's face it- the offensive line was the biggest factor in losing. They allowed sacks and pressures all game, and that was without exotic blitz packages. They couldn't stop a 4-man rush, and that cost the Patriots their biggest win in team (and NFL) history.

Although it's said there are no second acts in American life, the line has a chance to redeem itself throughout the playoffs. With its first legitimate Super Bowl threat since that fateful game, this unit is capable of doing everything except hand the team the Lombardi trophy. All opposing coaches and players agree that when Brady is well-protected, the Patriots are as close it gets to unbeatable.

With veteran carryovers from that Super Bowl, including Light, Mankins, and Koppen, this unit knows what's at stake. Winning the trenches is often an emotional game, and a superb playoff push would transform their national legacies from "the guys who let Brady get sacked five times" to "a key part of their unprecedented success."

Here's to hoping that Light, Mankins, Vollmer, and the rest of gang continue to fortress-like protection and outstanding run blocking... if they can do this, perhaps their motivation, execution, and the ultimate team result will finally give us the silver lining we've been looking for over the last three years.

Go Pats!

I was thinking the same thing. Losing Neal in the middle of that game didn't help and clearly Light and Kazur were not prepared to deal with Umenyora, Strahan and Tuck without some help. so their potential help in Faulk who twisted his knee couldn't chip rushers, Kyle Brady had a shoulder hanging off his arm, Ben Watson a marginal blocker and TB with a mangled foot couldn't move well really stacked the odds against them. Plus the G-men flooded the field with DBs and mixed in a occasional blitzs up the middle right at Koppen and Hochstein.

They do deserve to redeem the perception folks have but I don't fully blame them. Giants led the NFL in sacks that year. It's not like they faced a sub-standard pass rush.

Last edited:
I wondering and asking myself a question like "i wonder if Coach B will replay that SB 42" Now is the time when that line will have to play their asses off. I am happy the right side has Vollmer over Kaczur, Neal is out which is the biggest question but with a little help of the backups no reason why they should let history repeat itself.

Well this team is significantly different from the team the Pats fielded in 2007. So I don't think half of them would think of this year's playoffs as 'redemption' for 2007, rather it's going to be mostly redemption for getting knocked out by the Ravens in 2009. In fact several of the Pats starters weren't even playing in 2009 so it will be their first time in the playoffs. Let's not get too caught up in ghosts of the pasts and enjoy the team for what it is now and what it means today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes