PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sunday's key match up.... Pats DL vs Dan Koppen & Denver OL

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I just read where old friend Dan Koppen is going to be the starting C for the Broncos this Sunday and I'm wondering if that's going to change our defensive philosophy for this weekend.

We have been pretty much all 4-3 so far this season, but Koppen presents a match up that BB might not be able to pass up. He had always been susceptible when facing big powerful nose men, and it seemed he'd fallen even further during TC before he was released. The question is should the Pats force Koppen to play with someone right on his head, or should they give him a free pass and play to his strength by leaving him uncovered in a straight 4-3.

When uncovered Koppen was one of the better run blocking C's. Someone who has historically been effectively able to get to the 2nd level, and is a smart pass blocker who will always get his OL into right protection and help the right guy when uncovered. So the question is will the Pats continue to run the 4-3 or will they run some kind of a 4-3 0ver to get a man head on Koppen.

Something to look for when we face Denver

re: Sunday's key match up.... Pats DL vs Dan Koppen & Denver OL

There might be a back up guard in Ramirez starting too which leaves them looking rather soft up the middle which will suit Love & Wilfork and even Cunningham against a slow moving not very good back up.

I'd like to see some A gap blitzes, pressure Manning up the middle while Denver have a soft interior.

Last edited:

Just saw this news the other night here in Denver. I think the Pats D really needs to pressure Manning with front 7. I don't think we want to give him time to pick apart the weaker part of the defense. These Bronco receivers are solid. Tebow just couldn't get them the ball last season. Manning will given enough time. He might have lost some velocity but he can still read a defense better than most and still make adjustments at the LOS.

If a 3-4 gives the defense a better chance at exploiting Koppen and putting pressure on Manning then they would be foolish not to do it.

I bet they bring Spikes up over him to run blitz quite a bit as well. I don't see him being able to handle it.

Bianca Wilfork can't wait for this game!!!!!!!

Last edited:

...... or should they give him a free pass and play to his strength by leaving him uncovered in a straight 4-3....."

Whhhaaaattttt?????????????????

Kraft can give him a free pass to The CBS Scene or Skipjacks, but those should be the only free passes he sees this weekend.

Ken, it's the NFL.

Last edited:

Man on Koppen's nose. All game. Has to be done.

Regards,
Chris

Ken, I'm disappointed in you and have come to expect solutions from you and not just the questions.:)
I'm quite certain however that you were simply being the gracious participant that you so typically are.
That said, the answer will most likely (IMHO) be combinations. I do see this being a major scheme game with movement along the DLine during the last 7 seconds of the playclock. I think it will be quite a mixture although I see it as more an unbalanced line versus a traditional 3-4. Although that would very likely put Love over the center and Wilfork on the Tackle, I'm not crazy about Chandler head up on a tackle. But leave it to Bill to come up with something that is going to be unique and fun to watch.
I'm very curious to see the D personnel against Denver's 1 RB, 4 receivers. I would not be surprised to see Denver give the Pats their own gameplan with an emphasis on run if the Pats look "light". Tracey White and Tavon Wilson could be key figures.
I hope Simms focuses on the formation matchups quite a bit during this game.

Actually there is a scheme that I'd love to try this week against the Broncos. Since there's no way to do x's and O's I'll have to describe it. What I'd like to do is cover the interior 3 OLmen with DLmen, with a man over the C and a man each on the outside shoulder of the OGs And then put your DE on the outside shoulder of the strong side OT. I'd have one OL align outside the weakside OT and the other 2 LBs somewhere inside the Tackle box depending on the formation and motions

By alignment you'd force the Denver running game wide, making it difficult to get quick hits. You'd also have at least one LB running free. Your pass rush will also push from the middle out. That's the best way to rush Peyton. You rarely get to him from the outside anyway, but pressure up the middle at worst forces him off his spot and makes him tend to throw off his back foot, further weakening his already suspect arm.

Remember the key to rushing Peyton is to force him off his spot. Force him to check down to his 2nd choice. Make him move his feet. You have to do this quickly and the fastest way to get his attention is right up the middle

Now with all three interior OLmen covered, Koppen is isolated with no help ready to be beaten up by Love and Wilfolk, and later outquicked by Jones and Cunningham. Also the potential stunts you can run from this alignment are tough to defend. Rushng the DTs right up the GT gap. The nose man on the C and a LB in one of the inside gaps is unstoppable giving the LB an immediate free run at the QB or at worse leaving a RB on Spikes one on one with a running start.

Just a thought.

Yup, man on Kops' nose all game (OK not when he's on the bench)
I'd love to run the 3-4 but with Hightower out who takes the LB spot? Jones @ OLB? We'd be benching Love as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back