PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sunday Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oswlek

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
How crazy is the NFL? The week after Arizona loses to one of the worst teams any of us have ever witnessed - in the process allowing 31 points :eek: - they hold a much better Cleveland offense to 21 points and pull out a victory. Who could have seen that coming?

* I can't quite figure out what the ref was thinking when he reversed the Utecht fumble. For those that didn't see it, Utecht caught a pass from Manning, took two steps and then fumbled the ball when converged on by two defenders. Indy challenged the play, thinking that his knee was down. It was very close, but CBS had a nice shot of the play and Ben's knees were both about an inch and a half from the turf.

Somehow, though, the ref returned from the hood with a view that shocked everyone - most of all Indy themselves - that the pass was incomplete. It absolutely 100% was not an incomplete pass. I know that they eliminated the "football move" from the rule this year, but Utecht actually did make a football move. The ball came loose when Utecht was trying to move the ball into a secure hold in his left arm and the defender poked at it.

Mr Ref. Is it too much to ask that you know the rules of the game? Since the ball was clearly controled for the first two steps, you cannot say that he didn't have control. And the "must maintain possession through the fall" only applies if Utecht hadn't already taken two steps. Just an unbelievably bad call made worse by the fact that the guy had time to think about it.

* In the same game, Phil Simms spoke for about 2 minutes about how a properly called PI on Jax was wrong. He kept pointing out how the "twist" (the defender was touching Wayne before the ball got there with his left arm and spun him around after the ball glanced off his fingers) happened after the ball arrived. Phil, that may be true, what about holding the receivers arms down with your *other* arm? Isn't that interference? :confused:

* I am glad that Indy and Pitt both won. As I have been saying for a few weeks now, since it was near impossible that either would miss the playoffs, I want them to be 2-3, ensuring them to have to duke it out first before coming to NE. Not only does that mean that NE will face a much easier divisional round, but it means that NE only has to face one elite team (at most) to make the SB.

* Nice to see SF's pick back at #2 so soon. How bad are you when Carolina looks like a decent team against you? :eek:

* I realize that it is not in vogue to criticize Washington, but Gibbs seems to be out of his league. I'm not even talking about the timout thing, either. How many times does he need to see that his overly conservative playcalling only lets the other team back into the game? Regularly they play an excellent half or three quarters only to be undone because they refuse to seal the deal. I don't get it. I suppose the thought process could be to avoid the killer mistake, but isn't it clear by now that this startegy itself lets the other team come back? Hey Joe, YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!

* What was that, Mr. Feeley. It seems all your success with incuts the week before gave you some tunnel-vision.

* I would crticize NO for their playcall on the unfortunate fumble, but I seem to recall NE doing something similar to take advantage of an overly aggressive defense to close out the 2004 AFCCG against Pitt. What I do think is fair game, though, is the pitch. Feel free to run a reverse, but why add that extra degree of difficulty?

I think that is it. Oh, Adrian Peterson is great.

To answer your first point.. Ken Wisenhunt is the HC of the Cardinals and was previously the OC of the Steelers. He beat 3 out of 4 AFC North teams this year (not Cincinatti, I think). That's why he can win against Pitt and Cleveland, but lose to the 49ers twice.

The Pats were ahead 34-20 vs. Pitt, and I don't believe it was a double reverse, a much riskier play. All other points spot on.

The Pats were ahead 34-20 vs. Pitt, and I don't believe it was a double reverse, a much riskier play. All other points spot on.

I only saw the NE play once, but it looked like a reverse with Bush pitching rather than handing off.

A double reverse would have three handoffs, which I didn't see.

I don't think the Bush play was designed to be a pitch-- look at the penetration the right end got, pushing the left tackle into Henderson's (I think) path making him go 3 yards to the backfield. The play was blown up and Bush should have ate the ball.

I think . . .

How crazy is the NFL? The week after Arizona loses to one of the worst teams any of us have ever witnessed - in the process allowing 31 points :eek: - they hold a much better Cleveland offense to 21 points and pull out a victory. Who could have seen that coming?

Reminds me of St. Louis last year. If the Rams could have finished either of their games against the Seabags last year, NSA and danny88 would be posting how Patrick Willis wasn't living up to expectations for the Pats this year.

to add about the fumble reversal by the refs..tune in on wednesday on nfl network how the mike periera will spin this around as the best and correct call ever made. ..that segement used to be good but now its getting downright hilarious and ridiculous.

I only saw the NE play once, but it looked like a reverse with Bush pitching rather than handing off.

A double reverse would have three handoffs, which I didn't see.

You're right. But I don't see the situations as comparable. Up to 2 TDs at the opponents' 25, or up 3 in your own territory.

You're right. But I don't see the situations as comparable. Up to 2 TDs at the opponents' 25, or up 3 in your own territory.

I will grant you that.

"Nice to see SF's pick back at #2 so soon. How bad are you when Carolina looks like a decent team against you?"

And a 44 yr old Vinnie T throwing 2 TDs! Thanks for the draft help Vinnie!

All very good points Oswlek. Always like your analysis - and look forward to reading more. I find another disturbing trend with officiating - seems to me that Colts always get the most generous spot when officials spot the ball. This occurs more often - and more during Colts games. Now, I don't watch every NFL game - but I watch atleast 2-3 games every Sunday - I can't help have this feeling that somehow Colts always have a very generous spot. Does anyone else feel this way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes