Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Neat article.

Chung takes dream course - San Bernardino County Sun

Excerpt:
Though the 5-foot-11 1/2 212-pound fifth-year senior was projected to go toward the middle of the second round, his phone rang well before then.

"I got a call from an unknown number," Chung said. "I picked it up and it was the (Patriots) coach (Bill Belichick) and he said, `Pat, we're going to pull the trigger on you.'

"Oh man, my hand was shaking."

"Pat, we're going to pull the trigger on you"

Great. Five minutes from now ESPN is going to run with the headline, "Patriots coach Bill Belichick threatened second round selection."

Then Goodell will suspend him for the whole season :p

Great. Five minutes from now ESPN is going to run with the headline, "Patriots coach Bill Belichick threatened second round selection."

The NFL takes threats made to its players, fans, and associates very seriously. As a result of a direct threat from BB to a player, the NFL is going to be removing the Pats first round pick next year and fine BB & Kraft $1,000,000 each.

I'm starting to get a good feeling for this player.:)
BTW, Thanks for the link, JSn.

Last edited:

:rofl: Good call!

Any truth the rumor that Marvin Harrison called Donald Brown and said the same thing?

Any truth the rumor that Marvin Harrison called Donald Brown and said the same thing?

rimshot.gif

LMAO word:D

I'm starting to get a good feeling for this player.:)
BTW, Thanks for the link, JSn.

Chung wanted to get his degree before entering the NFL-smart move! Was it Duane Starks who said finishing school was his first priority and football was second, admirable but he was in the NFL at the time, and we know how that worked out. :eek:

The NFL takes threats made to its players, fans, and associates very seriously. As a result of a direct threat from BB to a player, the NFL is going to be removing the Pats first round pick next year and fine BB & Kraft $1,000,000 each.

Is this before or after they trade one or two of their second round picks for a low first round pick again? ;)

He's ecstatic, the team is happy that he was available, and they get someone who can be a heck of a contributor- all is right with his drafting.

Chung wanted to get his degree before entering the NFL-smart move!

How is that a smart move?

He just got a $5M or so contract. He risked a lot staying in school, and gained very little. If he had got hurt his senior year, he'd be working a $40K a year job right now.

For borderline prospects, staying the extra year is smart, but if you're gonna go in the first 3 rounds, you're risking a lot more staying, than you are gaining.

This could be but I think a more likely source is Mangina. I can just see his phone call to his old buddy, Lord Roger - "Belicheck is cheating again. Now he's holding his draft picks hostage." So the next step is for the commish to leak to the press that he's personally conducting an investigation of this complaint and then sets his minions out to collect all evidence of the transgression. Once collected, this evidence will be leaked to Fox Sports and then lost. Nonetheless, using all the evidence he needs to see in his kangaroo court, a severe judgement and penalty will determined. Again, an example (for the whole league to see) must be made!!

How is that a smart move?

He just got a $5M or so contract. He risked a lot staying in school, and gained very little. If he had got hurt his senior year, he'd be working a $40K a year job right now.

For borderline prospects, staying the extra year is smart, but if you're gonna go in the first 3 rounds, you're risking a lot more staying, than you are gaining.

Depends on your outlook I suppose. A second round pick (which was as high as he was going) isn't a guarantee in the NFL. If he washes out in a couple years, or gets hurt in his first year in the pros, it's better to have an education to fall back on.

BTW, maybe I'm just not good at life, but I have a college education and a fairly cushy office job, and I only barely make over 40k. I don't think 40k is a bad thing if you're just getting out of school.

Thanks for the link.

in case you guys didn't read the one comment posted in the original article, I recommed that you read it. Your view of the kid is bound to go up. :)

Depends on your outlook I suppose. A second round pick (which was as high as he was going) isn't a guarantee in the NFL. If he washes out in a couple years, or gets hurt in his first year in the pros, it's better to have an education to fall back on.

BTW, maybe I'm just not good at life, but I have a college education and a fairly cushy office job, and I only barely make over 40k. I don't think 40k is a bad thing if you're just getting out of school.

No, its not a bad thing. Last year though, Terrance Wheatly, at 2.31, signed a deal with an 890K signing bonus, and a 295K first year salary. Chung may get 30% more than that, being 2/3 of a round ahead of him.

He'll make more in his first year than the average kid out of college makes in 20 years. Go, get drafted, and if you blow out your knee in year 2, finish the degree while you're rehabbing, and then move on with your life. Staying exposed him to a lot of risk (in the form of injury), but didn't really get him anything he couldn't have done after he got drafted.

If you're going in the third round or higher though, you should be doing nothing to jeopardize your draft position.

Last edited:
No, its not a bad thing. Last year though, Terrance Wheatly, at 2.31, signed a deal with an 890K signing bonus, and a 295K first year salary. Chung may get 30% more than that, being 2/3 of a round ahead of him.

He'll make more in his first year than the average kid out of college makes in 20 years. Go, get drafted, and if you blow out your knee in year 2, finish the degree while you're rehabbing, and then move on with your life. Staying exposed him to a lot of risk (in the form of injury), but didn't really get him anything he couldn't have done after he got drafted.

If you're going in the third round or higher though, you should be doing nothing to jeopardize your draft position.

Are you saying he made a mistake in staying in school and finishing his degree?

Last edited:
Are you saying he made a mistake in staying in school and finishing his degree?

No, I'm saying staying and getting his degree was risky, and the risk, in my opinion, outweighs the gain. He would have been a 2nd round pick most likely last year, and getting hurt would have cost him millions.

Theres nothing to say he couldn't get his degree after getting drafted.

Football players should take their education seriously, because the vast majority will never make the NFL. The guys who are going to make the NFL though, need to make sure that they get that initial contract, and set themselves up for life.

Last edited:
No, I'm saying staying and getting his degree was risky, and the risk, in my opinion, outweighs the gain. He would have been a 2nd round pick most likely last year, and getting hurt would have cost him millions.

Theres nothing to say he couldn't get his degree after getting drafted.

Football players should take their education seriously, because the vast majority will never make the NFL. The guys who are going to make the NFL though, need to make sure that they get that initial contract, and set themselves up for life

My apologies on that, I interpreted it as being a mistake...That is one risk that should be applauded no matter what the cost to him.

He has a fall back career heaven forbid he can't play anymore, that's a hell of a lot more than most of the guys drafted have. He should be commended for doing the right thing in going with his education over quick cash.

"Set up for life" is a stretch, he still has to earn his money or else he gets cut like every other flop. That signing bonus that he gets will be gone fast and if he can't play anymore he has something that he can use to have a life outside of football unlike many others.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye