PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Summary of Patriots records 1960-2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one still hurts. I'm convinced that had it not been for the rought call, that would have been our first SB win that year.

1976:

Stabler's passed to former Carl Garrett sailed incomplete, but referee Ben Dreith threw a late flag on Ray Hamilton for roughing the passer. The penalty gave the Raiders a 1sst down on the Pats 12. Aided by 2 more penalties on the Patriots for unsportsmanlike conduct, the Raiders scored the game-winning TD on a 1-yard run by Stabler with 10 seconds remaining.

Final Resolution: "Avenged"
Date: January 19, 2002.
It only took a little longer than a quarter century, but it was worth the wait.

[Note: I'm not arguing that the Tuck call was a bad call, just observing that it was a close call that most outside of Patriots Nation saw the other way.]

According to the latest version, Mrs. McDonough said they made up and became the best of friends. In the earlier version, she also said she had the utmost respect for Clayborn, who felt bad about his original grouchy behavior, but the friends quote is new to me.

You can look it up yourself, her name is Denise. In the new version, from Sports Illustrated, Clayborn was shoving people all over the locker room, including an old man. In the original, he was pointing a finger and accidentally poked an eye. In the new version, Will punches Clayborn into Billy Sullivan who ends up in a clothes hamper. Swear to gawd.

But what does it matter, it's the story that counts and Irish stories always get better with age. Clayborn was a damn tough football player, but he weighed 186 pounds, so it's not exactly like McDonough sucker punched Willie McGinest.

Yea the rumor is that once Clayborn "understood" who McDonough ran with, he extended the olive branch first.

Hint: His best friend was President of the Mass Senate and the other brother was boss of the Irish Mob...who McD vouched for when applying for parole jobs for and visited in Levenworth ona few occasions.

Gotta feeling if Willie Mac was with the Pats back then, he'd do the same thing. ;)

Southie kids stick together...

My dad still talks about this game to me...he said brock's false start he just moved a finger or something and it was absolutely ridiculous and Francis got spun all the way around as the ball was in the air and no call.......He says that's why he doesn't feel bad about the Tuck rule because it was paybacks for this game listed above....

I was watching that game too, and my conclusion was that bad calls or not, giving up that big lead was not the mark of a championship team.

They never should have been in the position where a bad call could decide the game. They ran out of gas in the fourth quarter, and that's what killed them.

Eerily similar to some of this years games isn't it ?

I started following the Patriots right at the beginning. The funny

thing is that I was a heck of a lot less stressed out watching those

lousy teams. A win back in those days was cause for celebration.

Now, I am spoiled like the rest of you. Anything less than perfection

is not acceptable.

My dad still talks about this game to me...he said brock's false start he just moved a finger or something and it was absolutely ridiculous and Francis got spun all the way around as the ball was in the air and no call.......He says that's why he doesn't feel bad about the Tuck rule because it was paybacks for this game listed above....

That whole series of downs before the "Roughing the passer" call was made had a bunch of bad calls. On the play before the one you mentioned, Sam Cunningham ran for the first down marker. He got past it and ran out of bounds. However the marker on the ground was placed a yard short, giving the Patriots a 3rd and 1, instead of the first down they would have had if the marker was properly placed. Whenever somone brings up the tuck rule, I bring up this game, but no ne remembers it other than us Patriot fans with long memories. Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Last edited:
Yea the rumor is that once Clayborn "understood" who McDonough ran with, he extended the olive branch first.

Hint: His best friend was President of the Mass Senate and the other brother was boss of the Irish Mob...who McD vouched for when applying for parole jobs for and visited in Levenworth ona few occasions.

Gotta feeling if Willie Mac was with the Pats back then, he'd do the same thing. ;)

Southie kids stick together...

Ha ha, never heard that one. No doubt Will and Jimmy (don't call me Whitey) were on a first name basis, but I really doubt it got to that extent.

I think Clayborn was cranky, accidentally poked Mcdonough in the eye and took a shot and the stories blossomed from there.

Ha ha, never heard that one. No doubt Will and Jimmy (don't call me Whitey) were on a first name basis, but I really doubt it got to that extent.

I think Clayborn was cranky, accidentally poked Mcdonough in the eye and took a shot and the stories blossomed from there.

Yea I dont think Will M. reached out to Whitey either but "The Brothers Bulger" goes into the relationship b/t/w McDonough and Whitey a little bit.

Great read!

Yea I dont think Will M. reached out to Whitey either but "The Brothers Bulger" goes into the relationship b/t/w McDonough and Whitey a little bit.

Great read!

Good book. I must have been insulated from the situation living

on the North Shore in Danvers. I attended Belmont High School

with the hero in the book, Jack O'Donovan.

Last edited:
I stood in line at the Oakland Coliseum ticket window for two hours trying to get tickets for that "Ben Dreith game". They ran out when I was about a Tom Brady QB sneak away from the window. I kicked the dirt, went back to the huddle, I mean the car, and drove home. In retrospect, I was lucky to not have paid good money for that gyp job. Payback was sweet in the Snowbowl game. Oakland may never rise again, or at least as long as Al Davis is in control. Watching that ripoff game on TV, I got so mad and loud at the end that I think my wife locked me out of the house. So, I finished off the jug of dago red in the back yard. Thanks to the successes in the 00s decade, I can laugh at that game, and a lot of other bad stuff today. :D

my aunt and uncle are huge raider fans and back then they had season tickets. so, when we moved out there and the pats come out for the playoffs my uncle graciously took my brother and i. we took the bart up to oakland and just had a blast until the final minutes. those old time raider fans at the coliseum were some of the best football fans anywhere. friendly and knowledgable. i have no idea what the hell happened to them. maybe the move to LA went to their head, but it's a whole different crowd now.

those old time raider fans at the coliseum were some of the best football fans anywhere. friendly and knowledgable. i have no idea what the hell happened to them. maybe the move to LA went to their head, but it's a whole different crowd now.

I went to the Celtics game this past Monday at the Oracle Arena with my two (adult) sons. I have one of those bright green Celtics Starter jackets, which I never wear (bit loud) and a nice black and green Celtics cap. I almost wore the jacket, but I thought of those Oakland Raider fans, so I didn't, and just went with the cap. Warrior fans were fine, should have worn the jacket. Where did those lunatic Raiders fans come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back