PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sullivan should be given a chance at least this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

smg93

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=154240

“People are saying I’m on drugs and doing drugs and dealing drugs,†Sullivan said. “I’ve never ever been associated with drugs. My record’s clean. I offered to take a drug test right then and there at the scene."

I want Sullivan to stay here for a year at least to see if he can have a chance to turn things around. He's a good talent and with the right positive atmosphere that is in the Pats lockerroom right now, I think he'll have a chance to be a real steal tradewise.

Last edited:
Re: Sullivan should be given a chance

smg93 said:
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=154240

“People are saying I’m on drugs and doing drugs and dealing drugs,†Sullivan said. “I’ve never ever been associated with drugs. My record’s clean. I offered to take a drug test right then and there at the scene."

I want Sullivan to stay here for a year at least to see if he can have a chance to turn things around. He's a good talent and with the right positive atmosphere that is in the Pats lockerroom right now, I think he'll have a chance to be a real steal tradewise.

If Sullivan has the commitment, I couldn't be more thrilled.

Mike the Brit said:
If Sullivan has the commitment, I couldn't be more thrilled.

His words sound like he has the right attitude. Now let's see if he can back that up with actions. He has progressed from the failed conditioning run to a promising 2nd game. A one year experiment for a guy with his talent should be enough to gauge his heart and enthusiasm.

Yes, well, Bethel Johnson was pretty good at saying the right things. But a viable back-up at Nose Tackle would be wonderful.

Mike the Brit said:
Yes, well, Bethel Johnson was pretty good at saying the right things. But a viable back-up at Nose Tackle would be wonderful.

Actually, I don't think Bethel was even good at saying the right thing. He kept on complaining tht he was doing all that was asked of him and he couldn't understand why he didn't get any playing time. Bethel just didn't get it in my opinion.

At the end of the day though, talk is cheap. Let's see what you do out there on the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
A big DL with talent potential is like a LH pitcher in baseball, everyone is willing to give them a chance.

In this case, once in top shape, I think Sullivan will take advantage of his opportunity.

Good for Tomase for asking the questions. List me as one who doesn't think Sullivan played that badly against Atlanta- not with those filthy Alex Gibbs knee breakers chop blocking him every other play. NFL Network replayed the Green Bay-Atlanta game last night and the Atlanta Station had that goat sucking devil onscreen for a minute or more while the game crew sang his praises - :mad::enranged:

Last edited:
I agree. If he's not guilty of the drug charge and he is willing to work his butt off then he deserves a second chance. Sometimes a change of scenery helps to wake an individual up and get them to reach their potential. I hope that happens with Bethel too.

I don't understand the whole drug thing though. If he is telling the truth, is he saying it was found on his friend or what?

Gopats!!! said:
I agree. If he's not guilty of the drug charge and he is willing to work his butt off then he deserves a second chance. Sometimes a change of scenery helps to wake an individual up and get them to reach their potential. I hope that happens with Bethel too.

I don't understand the whole drug thing though. If he is telling the truth, is he saying it was found on his friend or what?
His friend claimed the marijuana - taken at face value you have to say that is that. Since the NFL has a low threshold for putting someone on the testing program, he's on. As he says, peeing in the bottle is no big deal if your not using.

i wrote if i remember correctly two days ago that i think he has surely the chances to make the team and, honestly, after what i read today, i hope so.

let's see if he will be able to show

it should be a nice story

I'm really not concerned whether he smokes pot or not - I think he should - and has - been given a chance to make the team based on his football talent.

With that criteria in mind, I think he's done little to distinguish himself (aside from failing the initial conditioning run) but I trust the coaches to make the right roster decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Box_O_Rocks said:
Good for Tomase for asking the questions. List me as one who doesn't think Sullivan played that badly against Atlanta- not with those filthy Alex Gibbs knee breakers chop blocking him every other play. NFL Network replayed the Green Bay-Atlanta game last night and the Atlanta Station had that goat sucking devil onscreen for a minute or more while the game crew sang his praises - :mad::enranged:

Box et. al., it puzzles me why the owners on the so-called 'Competition Committee' don't put in some tougher rules against this blocking style. Losing players to DELIBERATE injury dilutes the product. Hello, Bob Kraft? Are you listening? Get yo' ass on that committee!

JoeSixPat said:
I'm really not concerned whether he smokes pot or not - I think he should - and has - been given a chance to make the team based on his football talent.

What? If the guy smokes pot then he fails nfl drug tests. If he fails, that means no football. Who cares how much talent he has. He wont make the team if he fails tests. We need him clean if he will play in NE.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Box et. al., it puzzles me why the owners on the so-called 'Competition Committee' don't put in some tougher rules against this blocking style. Losing players to DELIBERATE injury dilutes the product. Hello, Bob Kraft? Are you listening? Get yo' ass on that committee!

If i remember correctly, the owners have discussed this, but it is a huge debate right now.

PatsWickedPissah said:

Oh yeah this is my one of my biggest concerns about the league. I think there was an article a week ago on either ESPN or CNNSI about this. I think it was about a former Bronco DE who changed teams and said he couldn't stand the chop blocking the OL did. He said in practice they never chopped the DL but blocking dummies instead.

The article went on to say that new coaches Kubiak and Mike McCarthy in GB will also implent this style on their new teams. Bad news for the NFL. In addition to those two teams I think Denver, Atlanta and San Diego use the chop-block technique. See any trends? Those three teams ran the ball on us.

I remember Seymour in last year's Denver playoff game getting into a couple of post-whistle fights because he was continually being chopped. This must stop. It's dirty and cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots