PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Suh to the Pats? It can happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, Who am I trading now that I hate?
I don't hate Brace. I have no real thoughts on him but he fits a 4-3 DT better than our supposed 3-4 so I guess I am pretty cool to understand that and you don't. My poorly thought out trade makes sense but as I have said, yes financials must be considered. I did make mention.

If you read what I said, please note that I felt Brace was a pick that had a lot to do with VWs contract. I actually thought about that. Did you? Agree?

FACT:
They Lions want out of 2

Although I am not a Suh jock sniffer, he could make sense in our D and arguably one of the best D-Linemen in the last few years.

He would adapt quite nicely to a 5 Tech DE like Seymour.

Seymour would have cost us more to keep (financials)

We have some ammo that the Lions could like

The Lions had interest in DT Hargrove and he was resigned by the Saints who intend to keep him.

If they get a DT, there are four decent OT's that will be available around #22 for the Lions

Brace is better suited for a 4-3 DT and was a second round talent.

Brace will sit third NT behind VW and Pryor (perhaps even Wright)

If BB sees a pick at second third or tenth in the Draft he will go after that guy if he needs to. He traded up for Jackson and Slater and they were never a win. Maybe Suh would be.

Our non CBA financial situation is not bad this year.

There are no guarantees that a new CBA will be done in 2011 and the Financials could be worse or as bad.

DW Toys

Where to begin...a better question might be why even bother. You don't grasp value and you have no understanding whatsoever of financials as you call them. The trade down potential from the top three picks in the first is dramatically skewed by the draft chart. Those picks are wildly overvalued compared to the rest of the draft. That is why so few teams can manage to trade down year after year. Similarly the compensation for those players in particular but the top 8-10 in general is so out of whack value wise that it's a stretch to draft well there at all let alone after surrendering picks that financially represent better value like late first rounders to do so... The Lions had a chance to swap a third for a RFA DT. They passed it up. Probably because they realized they were guaranteed the opportunity to snag a second round talent at the top of the third this season as well as a first round talent at the top of the second. This is a draft where first round grades run 40 deep per our own FO (specifically Floyd Reese in his comments this weekend).

Last year the #2 pick signed a deal for 5/$62M with $33M guaranteed. Seymour at 31 would have signed that extension in a heartbeat. The Patriots can't afford to have that much (20% or more of a cap) tied up on their front 3 before you even contemplate extending their HOF QB (another 12%) and pro bowl LG (whose extension will run 6%).

Do you understand that trading up in the second or beyond is a matter of multiples of single and double digits that can be accommodated with day 3 picks. Trading up in the first is a matter of double or triple digits and if you're trading up from the bottom third to the top tier you're talking triple and even quadruple digits that can only be accommodated by trading away multiple day one or two picks. You not only pay more for that priviledge, you lose the potential services or future trade value of one additional highly graded player for 4-5+ seasons.

We have already committed to Vince this season ($20M guaranteed) and Bodden )$10M guaranteed) and we have yet to deal with Brady and Mankins. Whether there is a CBA or not there will be a rookie contract cap in effect in 2011 because that is what the owners will opt for and absent a new CBA they won't agree to without it they will get to make the operational rules without NFLPA input as if they were a non union entity. Next season the #1-10 draft picks will likely see less than half the guaranteed or non salary money they can presently expect to see in their rookie deal. And if the tradeoff (if their is one bargained) is for a shorter term or committment, it will be even less than that... In a shallow 2011 draft we are perfectly positioned with 2 firsts and a second. I wouldn't trade them for anything at this juncture because they will potentially be the only truly useful/potential impact picks in that draft. Next year everyone will be looking to draft up, and likely finding it as difficult a sell as drafting down this year.

Last edited:
Haha, Guys... This isn't madden where we would be making these moves this is reality and there's no way we are getting Suh. I mean, yeah anything's possible but this is just a fantasy.

Where to begin...a better question might be why even bother. You don't grasp value and you have no understanding whatsoever of financials as you call them. The trade down potential from the top three picks in the first is dramatically skewed by the draft chart. Those picks are wildly overvalued compared to the rest of the draft. That is why so few teams can manage to trade down year after year. Similarly the compensation for those players in particular but the top 8-10 in general is so out of whack value wise that it's a stretch to draft well there at all let alone after surrendering picks that financially represent better value like late first rounders to do so... The Lions had a chance to swap a third for a RFA DT. They passed it up. Probably because they realized they were guaranteed the opportunity to snag a second round talent at the top of the third this season as well as a first round talent at the top of the second. This is a draft where first round grades run 40 deep per our own FO (specifically Floyd Reese in his comments this weekend).

Last year the #2 pick signed a deal for 5/$62M with $33M guaranteed. Seymour at 31 would have signed that extension in a heartbeat. The Patriots can't afford to have that much (20% or more of a cap) tied up on their front 3 before you even contemplate extending their HOF QB (another 12%) and pro bowl LG (whose extension will run 6%).

Do you understand that trading up in the second or beyond is a matter of multiples of single and double digits that can be accommodated with day 3 picks. Trading up in the first is a matter of double or triple digits and if you're trading up from the bottom third to the top tier you're talking triple and even quadruple digits that can only be accommodated by trading away multiple day one or two picks. You not only pay more for that priviledge, you lose the potential services or future trade value of one additional highly graded player for 4-5+ seasons.

We have already committed to Vince this season ($20M guaranteed) and Bodden )$10M guaranteed) and we have yet to deal with Brady and Mankins. Whether there is a CBA or not there will be a rookie contract cap in effect in 2011 because that is what the owners will opt for and absent a new CBA they won't agree to without it they will get to make the operational rules without NFLPA input as if they were a non union entity. Next season the #1-10 draft picks will likely see less than half the guaranteed or non salary money they can presently expect to see in their rookie deal. And if the tradeoff (if their is one bargained) is for a shorter term or committment, it will be even less than that... In a shallow 2011 draft we are perfectly positioned with 2 firsts and a second. I wouldn't trade them for anything at this juncture because they will potentially be the only truly useful/potential impact picks in that draft. Next year everyone will be looking to draft up, and likely finding it as difficult a sell as drafting down this year.

Very well detailed and explained Cousin. You took a lot of time and I appreciate it. I do understand the financial aspect and pitfalls. My trade down suggestion was rhetorical and by no means a sure thing. It was a thought to discuss and contemplate.

I am very impressed by your explanation. I think the key was you added that the 2011 Draft was weak and "You would not trade them for anything in this juncture and people will be looking to trade up" Hence some of my thought process on Suh. He is not my "binkie" the cutesy word we use here by some. My theory is for the long haul. Hopefully we will never be in a position of desperation like the Rams or Lions but if we break down the selection of a player like Suh and understand that we have to overpay to get him...now.

Mo, I am sure there are financial considerations of the #22 pick, the #53 pick and the Brace contract (I don't hate him. I see him as a better 4-3 fit and was a VW precaution and Pryor worked out decent). I have tried to see if Miguel was reading this to see what the exact numbers could be on our side. We all understand that to move up to a top five choice by using the outdated Draft Chart is absurd. It comes down to do it as if the Lions want two high value picks and a second round Draft choice player one year removed who fills a need for them, to give up the #2 pick. Yes, we could get lucky and get a great pick for a DE later, but if you see a kid like Ordick who some on this Forum want, who got toyed with by a mediocre LSU O Line and singled up, it makes you wonder how to go at this stage. If he is rated first round we better consider Suh or Trade for a player.

I had an idea of giving up a lower pick for Adam Carriker who had a decent rookie year but had to add 20lbs to play DT for the Rams and he was a different player than he was in college and got hurt for his efforts. He is now healthy. Go back to his real playing weight and play a Tech 5 DE in a 3-4 where some other Teams that have interest (at least two others) would have him play. I would take him over Ordick and Wooten in a minute but all I got was something about sucking lemons and questioning my gender preference.

So do we take Ordick who will get punked in the NFL or get creative and see if there is anyway to get Suh? I would rather NFL experienced Carriker for a DE so not to take that financial slope of Suh, but nothing on the horizon next year looks promising as you have suggested. Suh was actually a two year idea without moving our two #1 picks in 2011.

Yep a new CAP could be trouble in this idea but it could work better as well. Tough to say.....you agree?

My perfect scenario would be throw #22 at the Vikings for DE/OLD 25 year old Ray Edwards and call it a day.He is better by far that any pick on the Board at #22 and beyond. More money? Yes, but you are paying for an upper tier player who is young and experienced. It is a no brainer then this Suh topic is not alive. I say see ya #22 for Edwards and a player and perhaps a forth for Carriker. Get Gregg Olsen and fill in the rest of the roster with decent picks and you are now a pretty reasonable Team going into 2010. We can't count on 12 picks all making this Team in 2010. So if we can't get Blue Chip guys like Suh our expectations are questionable. Lets get a few pieces of talent.

DW Toys

I understand you point, however what the owners want and what they get has yet to be determined.

The bottom line is we have a gaping hole at RDE and the best non QB player in this year's or next year's draft projects perfectly into our defense at RDE. If for three draft picks spread over two years we can go up and draft a kid like Suh, why wouldn't we? Because of guanteed money and the salary cap? That is extremely narrow thinking. Between contracts coming off the books in the next several years and dead wieght (ie: Thomas) currently on the books, we can more than afford a blue chip stud RDE.

Also the 2011 draft is not going to be nearly as strong as this draft, but with a few key juniors declaring it will compare favorbly to last year's draft and guess what; BB managed to secure quite a few contributors from last year's draft.

IF the picks at the top are so valuable pick wise and so punitive salary wise....something doesn't compute. If I'm picking first and have to pay a cap wrecking salary to a possible bust...I trade the pick even up for one a round later. I forfeit the pick if I can even.

I would think that would be reflected in "trade value" ie the worth of the top picks...teams would be so eager to get out of them, they'd give them up 'cheap'.

Anyway, not that I want us to draft Suh for 10M per year.

signing a guy like that is like signing a top FA for FA money AND giving up your #1 pick to do it.

The goal of a #1 pick should be to get a really good player for CHEAP money..that's why they're worth something (the picks), otherwise...how is it worth anything?

So I ask you again Cousin. Would You trade our #22, our #53 and Brace for Suh? I can't see that as a mortgage of our future. #22 and #53 plus Braces' salary are still a consideration to be paid and if added together may make the #2 money aspect closer.

Miguel, are you reading any of this
? You have an idea of the approx. costs?
DW Toys

For that trade. Yes.

But to make that trade happen, you are adding in the Oakland #1 next year to make it even close to happening.

I think some of you guys are overrating Suh a litte. He's good but he's not going to brush aside NFL Olinemen like could in college.

I think some of you guys are overrating Suh a litte. He's good but he's not going to brush aside NFL Olinemen like could in college.

OK Fair point. What is the alternative? Ordick? He got mauled by a weak LSU line. Why the hell he is a first round player is a head scratcher. Says the Browns want him. Oh I hope so, please! Wooten? I think he is better than Ordick but still coming back from an ACL two years ago. Dunlap? Dropping like Stuka with lead wings. Carrington? His value is too high on the board for a player who was inconsistent against not the highest NCAA teams in his league.

Tell me exactly who you would bring in? My preference is actually Adam Carriker of the Rams. The Skins offered Haynesworth up even for him because Jim Hasslett coached him at St.Louis. The Rams had him play 20 lbs heavier and out of position.

Yes we would take it in the shorts for getting Suh, but close your eyes, gulp and think long term return.

DW Toys

Last edited:
On what it would take to jump 20 spots...the discussion seems to be "what would Detroit accept," but I think that's the wrong question. You're talking about the consensus best player in the draft, at a much sought-after position. So it's really about outbidding the competition.

Surely Cleveland would gladly hand over #7 + #71 and some sweeteners for Suh, don't you think? And I'd bet the Giants would part with #15 + their 2011 #1. Etc. So why would Detroit even consider dropping all the way to #22? You'd have to blow them away.,

OK Fair point. What is the alternative? Ordick? He got mauled by a weak LSU line. Why the hell he is a first round player is a head scratcher. Says the Browns want him. Oh I hope so, please! Wooten? I think he is better than Ordick but still coming back from an ACL two years ago. Dunlap? Dropping like Stuka with lead wings. Carrington? His value is too high on the board for a player who was inconsistent against not the highest NCAA teams in his league.
I don't think Odrick is a bad option, but like you, I'm not 100% sold on him either. Same goes for Carrington. I don't want Bustlap anywhere near this team. I like Wooton but he'd need to bulk up a lot, he has high upside though. Unfortunately my can't miss RDE prospect, Cameron Heyward, stayed for his senior year. :(

IF the picks at the top are so valuable pick wise and so punitive salary wise....something doesn't compute. If I'm picking first and have to pay a cap wrecking salary to a possible bust...I trade the pick even up for one a round later. I forfeit the pick if I can even.

I would think that would be reflected in "trade value" ie the worth of the top picks...teams would be so eager to get out of them, they'd give them up 'cheap'.

Anyway, not that I want us to draft Suh for 10M per year.

signing a guy like that is like signing a top FA for FA money AND giving up your #1 pick to do it.

The goal of a #1 pick should be to get a really good player for CHEAP money..that's why they're worth something (the picks), otherwise...how is it worth anything?

You just made the owners argument for why the contracts for rookies have to be capped as well as scaled. The reverse finish draft was supposed to support parity. It doesn't.

Ochmed Jones said:
I understand you point, however what the owners want and what they get has yet to be determined.

The bottom line is we have a gaping hole at RDE and the best non QB player in this year's or next year's draft projects perfectly into our defense at RDE. If for three draft picks spread over two years we can go up and draft a kid like Suh, why wouldn't we? Because of guanteed money and the salary cap? That is extremely narrow thinking. Between contracts coming off the books in the next several years and dead wieght (ie: Thomas) currently on the books, we can more than afford a blue chip stud RDE.

Also the 2011 draft is not going to be nearly as strong as this draft, but with a few key juniors declaring it will compare favorbly to last year's draft and guess what; BB managed to secure quite a few contributors from last year's draft.

Actually, it really hasn't. The NFLPA and it's members aren't opposed to a rookie contract cap. If there is a new CBA it will include one. If there is not, the owners will implement the rules per their last best offer to the NFLPA. Thereafter they will either play under those rules pending litigation or be locked out or strike. But either way those rookies will be signed to deals on ownerships terms.

Seymour was worth what the going rate was for a #6 pick in 2001. Even he was not worth the going rate for a #2 pick in 2001 (6 years $35M) vs. the $14M we signed him for as the 6th pick, nevermind plus a second round pick in 2001 (who turned out to be Matt Light...for 4 years $2.7M) and a first or even second round pick in the 2002 draft (who turned out to be either Dan Graham (5/$6.8M) or Deion Branch (5/$3M) to trade up 4 slots... No RDE is worth the money difference involved plus two out of three players of that caliber. Players selected at the end of the first make 25% of what players selected at the top of the first make...they are not 75% less talented on average...If you're in position to select a top 6 player that's one thing provided the player is there who is worth the slotted contract value. If you have to move up to the tune of 1000 points per the draft chart, the tradeoff isn't worth it unless that player was literally the only thing you needed to win a championship. Which is never truly the case...

If Bill got quite a few contributors from last years draft then he should retain his two firsts and a second in next years draft (which may be comparable to last years or not since the prevailing sentiment is it will be shallow at the top because of juniors who declared this season to get ahead of a contract cap). It's one thing to be shortsighted which is the problem most fans experience. It's another thing to be ridiculous.

If you accept that the best talents get drafted first you understand it takes a team like ours years of planning to put yourself in a position like we are in. Our talent on DL is dwindling, no arguement. If he is the best player at such a key position of need and better than anyone better coming out next season...Lastly, how much longer do we have TB/BB?? Would it surprise anyone that they would both be gone in 4 years?? I dont think so. Picks used this year will be in their prime at that time, BB doesnt strike me as a guy who leaves the cupboard empty.

If Bill got quite a few contributors from last years draft then he should retain his two firsts and a second in next years draft (which may be comparable to last years or not since the prevailing sentiment is it will be shallow at the top because of juniors who declared this season to get ahead of a contract cap). It's one thing to be shortsighted which is the problem most fans experience. It's another thing to be ridiculous.

And it'll be a good draft for juniors to declare early, once again. Unless it looks certain there'll be a lockout, I guess. But since the senior class will be weak, there'll be fewer seniors with high round grades and therefore more room for juniors to declare and get drafted earlier than they otherwise would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back